Technology, the smartphone and the battle for our soul

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Every once in a while (rarely) there will be a good article in The Oregonian. Today was one of those days.

I found it here:
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2018/01/technology_and_the_battle_for.html

While I don't think anyone needs to quit the internet completely, what he's saying makes perfect sense. It's the reason I got rid of all of my social media accounts (and trust me, I feel so much better without them) and don't use my phone around my kids or family anymore (unless it's a business call).

I think everyone should read this and dwell on it. It's very well written.

As I eased into the new year, I thought about a man I met last year. He asked two questions: What does it mean to be a human? What do we truly desire in a life?

Andrew Sullivan, former editor of The New Republic magazine and now a contributing editor at New York magazine, is an author, essayist and magazine writer. In 2000, Sullivan, who has a Ph.D. from Harvard, started The Dish, a blog focused on politics and other issues. By the time he ended the site in 2015, he'd written more 115,000 posts and attracted millions of readers.

But it had come at a price.

I met Sullivan when I was one of a handful of journalists and scholars invited to the Faith Angle Forum for a discussion of issues facing our nation. Sullivan wanted to talk about the impact of technology on our soul, something he wrote about two years ago in New York magazine.

Before beginning his talk, he asked that laptops be closed, and smartphones be set to the side.

"For attention," he explained. "Something human beings used to exercise, but no longer do."

Sullivan admitted he once found blogging and the internet intoxicating. Then he realized he was "barely living."

"One of the great mistakes people make is thinking, as I did for a while, that being online and on your phone constantly is a wonderful enhancement, an addition to what you are doing," he said. "But over time, you realize you are present, or you are not."

I'm no Luddite. I'm writing these words on a laptop, and I know the majority of you will read this column online. But what Sullivan said resonated with me, and I turn to you, the readers, for help.

All of us are filled with doubt and pain, struggles and failures, hopes and dreams.

But we rarely share these vulnerabilities. Instead, we turn to social media to create a mythical life.

This year, let me be the messenger for your story, your real story. In sharing it, you can be a teacher, providing personal answers to the critical questions Sullivan raised.

Sullivan said technology was not adding to his life. He realized he'd quit reading books, and wasn't spending time with his husband or his friends.

"I was absorbing information, which is different than knowledge," he said. "I bet if I asked you what you were reading online two days ago, no one would know. But at the moment, it was so important that you had to absorb it rather than live at all."

Sullivan gave up technology, using the internet only for email. He spent a year reading books, and rebuilding ties to those he loved. Then he went to a meditation retreat where he spent 10 days in silence.

"Over time, you begin to settle into who you really are," he said. "You gain perspective on your life and being."

One day, while walking through the wood, Sullivan broke down.

"Something about the place reminded me of my childhood," he said. "I did not have an easy childhood. Boom. I was absolutely back there with all the pain coursing through my brain. I was terrifyingly alone."

Why, he later asked himself, did it take silence to relive that period of his life?

He theorized that much of what we all do on the internet is to search for things that distract us from life.

"I had suddenly stumbled upon the idea that the thing I most wanted distraction from was myself," he said. "The promise of the phone is that you are never alone. There is always the constant distraction. We can no longer tolerate more than 30 seconds of silence and solitude, which essentially separates ourselves from the core aspect of what it means to be human."

Sullivan contends that the phone, always accessible, makes us believe we are connected.

"But it has tapped into a part of our brain that wants validation and abets a creeping sense of loneliness that we have," he said. "That makes us use the devices even more. It renders impossible the possibility of reflection and perspective."

Studies have showing growing cases of depression in young people who feel isolated even though they have thousands of friends and followers.

"It is an absolute delusion to think you are with anyone when you are looking at the phone," he said. "You are not involved in a constructive relationship with another human being. You are in an abstract place, not where your body exists, just an addled part of your brain. You live more and more inside your head. Inside your head, there is almost nothing but noise."

It is silence, Sullivan said, where we come to know God.

During a group discussion, Andy Crouch, author and former editor of Christianity Today, picked up on that theme. He said technology, while making life easier in necessary ways, can also insulate from the reality of life.

"Life is not going to be easy," he said. "If you are fortunate, one day your life will come down to a very small room with a few people who know you, and you would trust enough to be with you at your utmost vulnerability.

"All that technology will be of absolutely no use," he said. "Who will you be at that moment? Who you are in that moment depends on if you were insulated, and thus never developed any capacity for heart and soul to meet that moment with any meaning."

That's what I want to explore this year.

I want reader stories that reveal meaning, heart and soul. Send me your story, and a way to contact you.

I thought about this on Jan. 1 when I stood outside to look at the supermoon, a term for when the moon orbits closer to the Earth and appears to be larger and brighter than normal. Instinctively, I reached for my smartphone to take a picture to capture the moment.

And then I put the phone back in my pocket.

I knew hundreds of photos would soon be posted, all of them looking the same, all taken by people hoping for a click, a like or a heart.

But nothing could truly capture what it meant to just be standing there on a cold morning to start 2018, staring at the heavens, and thinking about the universe, life and my journey.

It was about embracing the silence.

And looking for moments of meaning.

--Tom Hallman Jr.

Reactions: jeep_boss and StG58
I can't help but agree as i did in other threads regarding social media.
Same reason i threw away my Xbox 360 years ago.
We can become consumed without knowing it and lose the meaning of life.

Reactions: Chris
I think this is beginning to dawn on a lot of people. I hear it more and more, but I really don't see too many putting their phones down yet.

I think this is beginning to dawn on a lot of people. I hear it more and more, but I really don't see too many putting their phones down yet.

You're right. I notice more people are becoming aware of it, but at the same time, I don't see anyone putting their phone's down either.

You're right. I notice more people are becoming aware of it, but at the same time, I don't see anyone putting their phone's down either.
All in good time...baby steps first.(you have to think about it and let it digest before acting on it)

I have to leave mine in my bedroom when I’m home on weekends. That way I’m not tempted to pull it out. Also, if I do have it out and someone comes in the room, I immediately put it down and look at them. It’s still a struggle, though. I actually hate it.

One day I was driving the Jeep (true story). I had the top off, doors off, crusing down a country road on my way to town. I forgot my phone. It was just me and my daughter. When I realized I didn’t have my phone I yelled out “Freedom” at the top of my lungs (multiple times). It really is a freeing experience and there are days I just want to throw it away! It’s one of those tools now that you can’t live without but you can’t live with.

Am I being vulnerable here? LOL!

There is good research that it does cause depression. There are people in China who attend SA (Smartphone Anonymous - I coined that, but that’s what it is). There was one documented case of someone in China on their phone 24 hours a day.

Reactions: Chris and Squatch
Great article. Thanks for sharing it, @Chris. I believe a lot of what he says is true, but most definitely doesn't apply to everyone. I think folks of my vintage still know how to use technology in a way that does not consume our lives, or dictate who we are. I don't own a smartphone. My phone will allow me to text (which is handy), but if I need to research something, I go to my electronic library (computer), and look it up. This forum is the deepest I've ever been involved with "electronic friends", because members on here appear to still have personalities, and use this site for the camaraderie. Don't really know what Twitter is (don't care). A cloud is still weather-related. Facebook? No interest. I can spend hours upon hours in my garage, looking in my manuals when I need torque specs, and speaking to no one, save the damn cat that thinks he's helping (at some of the most inopportune times). I don't bank online. I don't renew my tabs online. In fact, last year, I sent out letters...on real paper, through the Postal Service...to relatives I wanted to keep in touch with. It saddens me when I hear of folks struggling with the issues mentioned in the article, because to some degree, it's of their own making. People want convenience, and instant gratification. How many times have you pulled something out of the microwave before the time is done? A microwave, which is already so much faster than the stove/oven, just isn't fast enough anymore. And dealing with an actual person at a bank is something of a brief "mini-relationship", and that takes too much time and effort. I hope @Kiwi TJ is right, and that people will wake up "all in good time", and take the necessary baby steps to correcting this societal blunder. Maybe, just maybe, some of the old ways truly are still the best.

Great article. Thanks for sharing it, @Chris. I believe a lot of what he says is true, but most definitely doesn't apply to everyone. I think folks of my vintage still know how to use technology in a way that does not consume our lives, or dictate who we are. I don't own a smartphone. My phone will allow me to text (which is handy), but if I need to research something, I go to my electronic library (computer), and look it up. This forum is the deepest I've ever been involved with "electronic friends", because members on here appear to still have personalities, and use this site for the camaraderie. Don't really know what Twitter is (don't care). A cloud is still weather-related. Facebook? No interest. I can spend hours upon hours in my garage, looking in my manuals when I need torque specs, and speaking to no one, save the damn cat that thinks he's helping (at some of the most inopportune times). I don't bank online. I don't renew my tabs online. In fact, last year, I sent out letters...on real paper, through the Postal Service...to relatives I wanted to keep in touch with. It saddens me when I hear of folks struggling with the issues mentioned in the article, because to some degree, it's of their own making. People want convenience, and instant gratification. How many times have you pulled something out of the microwave before the time is done? A microwave, which is already so much faster than the stove/oven, just isn't fast enough anymore. And dealing with an actual person at a bank is something of a brief "mini-relationship", and that takes too much time and effort. I hope @Kiwi TJ is right, and that people will wake up "all in good time", and take the necessary baby steps to correcting this societal blunder. Maybe, just maybe, some of the old ways truly are still the best.
x100 lol

I have to leave mine in my bedroom when I’m home on weekends. That way I’m not tempted to pull it out. Also, if I do have it out and someone comes in the room, I immediately put it down and look at them. It’s still a struggle, though. I actually hate it.

One day I was driving the Jeep (true story). I had the top off, doors off, crusing down a country road on my way to town. I forgot my phone. It was just me and my daughter. When I realized I didn’t have my phone I yelled out “Freedom” at the top of my lungs (multiple times). It really is a freeing experience and there are days I just want to throw it away! It’s one of those tools now that you can’t live without but you can’t live with.

Am I being vulnerable here? LOL!

There is good research that it does cause depression. There are people in China who attend SA (Smartphone Anonymous - I coined that, but that’s what it is). There was one documented case of someone in China on their phone 24 hours a day.

I go through a struggle... Sometimes I want to get rid of my smartphone and revert back to an old flip phone with no other capability other than making calls. Then I would have no temptation to use it at all. However, when I think about doing that, then I realize that I am constantly using the email on my phone, using it for directions (Google Maps), using it to look up places to eat, etc. In other words, my phone is actually a really helpful tool to have. Oh, don't forget about all the good music I've got on it!

So in reality, I think people really just need to learn when to put it down. When you're around other people, put the phone down and don't mess with it. When you're by yourself, looking for directions, or doing something like that, by all means, go for it.

Reactions: egclassic and JMT

I think in time, we'll start seeing more and more "groups" for smartphone and technology addiction. We'll also start seeing less and less personal relationships and more "online" relationships. I think it only gets worse with the younger generations.

I don't know, maybe this is just evolution and I'm the weird one for not wanting to conform to the new "norm". Maybe people would look at the way I grew up and say, "Why would I be outside playing all the time when I could be on my phone?". Normal is a relative thing. Maybe I'm just afraid of the new "normal", but to me it seems so bad... Like nothing good can come of this. For that reason, I refuse to get sucked into the smartphone / technology addiction.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
I don't use my phone for directions and use a mapbook (anyone remember them ?) lol Even teaching my girls how to use one rather than relying on technology

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I go through a struggle... Sometimes I want to get rid of my smartphone and revert back to an old flip phone with no other capability other than making calls. Then I would have no temptation to use it at all. However, when I think about doing that, then I realize that I am constantly using the email on my phone, using it for directions (Google Maps), using it to look up places to eat, etc. In other words, my phone is actually a really helpful tool to have. Oh, don't forget about all the good music I've got on it!

So in reality, I think people really just need to learn when to put it down. When you're around other people, put the phone down and don't mess with it. When you're by yourself, looking for directions, or doing something like that, by all means, go for it.
Yep, it takes discipline.

I remember when the company I worked for forced me to get a bag phone - I virtually yelled-- "what for??? I have a two way in my car and when I am in the office I am on the phone 8 hrs/day!!!- I want to disconnect not be everywhere and everything for even more people!!!!"

Then a mere 4 years later a car passed me with a teen in the back seat on her cell phone and I thought- this is real bad!!

I too at one point was building a start up company that needed research and grassroot support. I blogged, bloviated, and was an active participant on at least 6 websites. Today- only sometimes here.

Folks of my " vintage". I like that! :)

Reactions: Phil Younger

Funny! I was just thinking this same thing the other day while my wife and I were standing in Verizon "upgrading" our phones.
I pointed to an old flip phone and told my wife "that is the one I'm getting!" Then I realized how damn dependent I've become on the smart phone for all the same reasons you said and I caved!

Funny! I was just thinking this same thing the other day while my wife and I were standing in Verizon "upgrading" our phones.
I pointed to an old flip phone and told my wife "that is the one I'm getting!" Then I realized how damn dependent I've become on the smart phone for all the same reasons you said and I caved!

I know, it's both a blessing and a curse. Thanks to our phones we no longer need a separate GPS unit, a separate music player, etc. The phone can do everything. So it is a positive thing, but you really have to know when to put it down and when not to use it. People these days are really rude with their phones.