Technology?

UPJOHN

TJ Enthusiast
Is it always better?
I drive my TJ during the week and can find all the controls, heater/ac, radio, wipers, lights, etc. with my eyes closed in the dark. I drive our '14 Dodge Journey on weekends and have to take my eyes off the road every time i want to change anything. It has the touch screen with most of radio and heater controls on it. It looks cool, but is it really better?

I LOVE that the TJ is a simple beast. Saying that, I do also love how our new Cherokee is like driving a computer. I'm a techy/gadget guy though, and have always loved that kind of stuff.

I am praying to the car gods that nothing ever goes wrong with any of the systems though, as I'll probably have to remortgage the house to afford to get them fixed! lol

Reactions: Chris
exactly. Same with my TJ vs the wifes Legacy. I remember the old Ford pickups had different shaped knobs so you could tell which switch did what by feel. And the heavy trucks I drove all had identical switches but at least you could touch them and count off to the one you wanted without activating anything. I'm betting eventually they will go back to controls which will not require taking yer eyes off the road.

Reactions: derekmac
With the Cherokee, you can use voice commands to control pretty much everything. I haven't really played with it though.

I think it's pretty hard to argue against technology. Go drive any new car (especially a performance car) and you'll quickly come to appreciate all the bells, whistles and safety features they have. Often times they make the vehicle more fun to drive.

The flip side to this is that like @derekmac brought up, when something goes wrong, you're going to have to fork over some big bucks in most cases.

Take it from someone (me) who has owned numerous high end M model BMWs. Absolutely amazing cars to drive, but when something goes wrong it's not fun at all. Those things have so many features that you need special software just to diagnose them. Once you do, you're dealing with diagnosing complete electrical systems and so much more.

It's not like a TJ where when something breaks it's generally pretty simple to fix. More technology means more wiring and more sophisticated systems. In other words, it's not going to be something that your average garage mechanic can work on. You need experience and training with special diagnostic tools and software in order to work on modern day vehicles.

So, for this reason alone I'm not much of a fan of the technology. I like knowing I can work on my own vehicle and do pretty much anything to it myself. I also like knowing that I don't have to drop massive amounts of money trying to diagnose and fix something as stupid as a electrical sensor in a BMW (and believe me, BMW parts are stupid expensive just for something seemingly simple).

But, if money isn't an option and you aren't worried about repair bills should something go wrong... Then yes, technology wins if you ask me!

So when we lived in Yellowknife NT. Temps average -40C/F and can hit -70F. I learned that EFI does not understand extreme cold... that was 15 years ago but at -40 EFI will flood the engine if not plugged in. And EFI pumps gas at like 80psi plus. SO you need an oil change if you try to start it and keep the key turned.

Carbs use a mechanical pump. 5-8psi. So you can turn the engine over till it starts.

50-60 below... parked in an outdoor stall... no plug in close.... Boom Town YK.... over $100.00 every time it floods PLUS towing. So I decide screw TECHNOLOGY !!! I bought an '87 YJ. NO EFI. 50 below... hard start... remove the air cleaner, dump in some raw gas from that pickle jar stashed beside the brake booster.... turn the key, instant fire, pump the shitt out of the accelerator, listen to the clatter from the lifters waiting for the oil to circulate.... let out the clutch and go..... real easy.

Me I love Tech for the mainstream.... CALIFORNIA.... but for the real world? especially the fringes like off roading I like LOW TECH. Although I do believe we need to be on the cutting edge for Emissions, economy.... Me, I'd love a pure electric Wrangler which could not ever leak oil, gas if it turned turtle. I'd love a pure electric Wrangler which might run underwater, completely submerged. BUT the current "TECHNOLOGY" means DO NOT LET A DROP OF WATER HIT THE DASH !!!!

For me the "technologists" installing that in Wranglers should be shot.

My TJR is my work truck and DD. My next Jeep ?? probably a CJ2 with a flathead. Something that NEVER quits. Runs on anything.

I do this to reinforce my conviction to never buy that TJ/SE I fantasize about or that JK which seems like such an affordable option.
I want a carburetor on my next Jeep. Which will be my "non-work DD".

In regards to technology, I will say that I absolutely LOVE electric vehicles. I had a chance to drive a Tesla, and I must say that it's a really eye opening experience. Maybe it's just because we aren't used to driving electric cars, but if you ever get a chance, drive one and I think you'll really, REALLY love it.

same ^^^

And electric vehicles can be so simple when compared to gas or diesel. A battery wired to a motor connected directly to the tires. No more complicated than the battery and starter curcuit on a TJ.

And the acceleration/traction is to die for.

Is it always better?
I drive my TJ during the week and can find all the controls, heater/ac, radio, wipers, lights, etc. with my eyes closed in the dark. I drive our '14 Dodge Journey on weekends and have to take my eyes off the road every time i want to change anything. It has the touch screen with most of radio and heater controls on it. It looks cool, but is it really better?

No. That's my opinion. Buttons to open and close rear hatches and tailgates? Buttons to open and close side doors on mini vans? Parking assist? Back up cameras? Air conditioning? Bluetooth? Built in phones? Air Pressure Monitors? Voice command? Traction control? Braking assist? Pedestrian/Object monitors? Push-button starting and locking/unlocking doors? Can we get any more lazy/spoiled?

My TJ has none of that. No fancy monitors, systems, and assisting crap. No AC, No carpet, no center console, no lighting up christmas colored knobs and buttons. No fancy 8 speed transmission. Not even a tape player. It has a AM/FM radio, holes in the floor where mud comes in, and it's noisy. But it's a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B and I control the traction, the speed, the braking, the parking, and opening and closing the damn doors (when they are on, which is never).

We just bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra strictly for driving to and from work. It's supposed to save us a ton on gas (almost 40 mpg). It mostly sits parked and untouched but I have been driving my 99 SE since we bought it. I cannot stand sitting in that low riding thing with all these buttons, knobs, and tech crap. And I thought cars were supposed to ride good but this little thing rides like it has springs and shocks from a radio controlled car. It's like being in a bubble of plastic. The lady drives it but I pass every time.

My fiance's has two brothers and a sister. All three of them bought brand new vehicles (2014 Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ford Fiesta, 2013 Ford F-150). The Grand has been in and out of the shop for a number of recalls and issues. The Fiesta has been in and out of the shop countless times for transmission issues (she eventually traded it for a Chevy Cruze). The Ford has been pretty reliable but what a bitch it is when it comes to the computer. Just a simple thing as airing up the tires for a heavier load wrecks havoc on the system and he has to sit in there to dial in the new psi for whatever the computer needs it for. He tried to show me all the gagdets on that flat screen in the dash but got lost in all the mumble jumble techy stuff. What a joke.

I guess I'm old fashioned or you can blame my dad for teaching me how to drive in a 86 Ford F-150 that had nothing but a full length chair, steering wheel, and a shifter.

Last edited:
@Ahoragi I agree, mostly. Having owned several BMW's I can without a doubt say that they truly are the ultimate driving machines.... as long as you only plan on driving on a smooth paved roads. Cruising in those things was amazing, it felt like they were on rails.

With that said, I love the way our TJ's are outfitted. The way you described yours would be a bit out of my comfort-zone with the mud holes and I'd literally die without AC (with the top on) in this Texas heat. Mine, having AC, some thin (factory) carpet that I can yank out and hose off, and a manual tranny, is the perfect fit for me. I -need- AC but I certainly don't need nor want all that other stuff you mentioned. I prefer having manual crank windows and manual locks, no power seats, etc etc.. Less shit to break and when it does break it's a lot cheaper to fix!