TehHeep's 04 TJ Rubicon Build

TehHeep

Hey Guys/Gals! Welcome to the show... I am new here but I am going to dive in head first.

I have always wanted a TJ, have flirted with purchasing many TJs over the past decade. I finally found mine (or it found me).

My view is that the TJ is truly the end of a great Jeeping era and is the last "real" Jeep to be produced. I don't know what it is, I even find legacy Jeep owners to be different too. At least in my area...

I picked up a 2004 TJ Rubicon (5 speed MANual) for $9,000 bucks ~ with tax and tags; one previous owner, all stock, with around 100,000 miles on the clock. A price that I determined to be very fair...

This will be it's mod story documenting her progress and pitfalls.

I have already owned her for a short while so some of this will be fast tracked and some won't be. This build will progress at the rate that time and money allows (like everything in life).

I have a bunch of stuff planned for this jeep & ONLY quality parts (made in USA if available) will be used.

This is just going to be a practical somewhat high end build. It has been my experience that there is a point where a Jeep gets too built up and it becomes a trailer only rig.

That is not the goal for this one.

The goal is to build a nice woods jeep (max tire size 35s or 37s) that is also still very road worthy. I don't want to completely sacrifice its daily real world usability.

I want it to take me where I want to go, be capable, be reliable; but still be able to drop my son off at school or go out for a cruise.

This is a I will keep this Jeep as long as I live kinda' build.

Thanks for watching!

tj1.jpg

Last edited:
To crank this thread over I am going to start off with some electrical system upgrades. It wasn't long before I realized that the 14 year old primary cables and alternator needed some love.

My alternator case actually began cracking in multiple areas shortly after I got it, I held it together for a while with JB weld LOL! Check your alternator cases for cracks!!

I decided not to mess around and built some high quality 1/0 "Big 4" cables out of marine grade fully tinned wire. I used FTZ heavy duty lugs, 3M thick wall adhesive lined heat shrink, and a calibrated crimp tool to properly terminate.

I also had a 250 amp alternator done up. This baby puts out 200A just above idle and the full 250 shortly after (before 2000 RPM); enough to power my Pioneer deck for sure. I didn't go for more output to keep it very reliable.

I dropped in an odyssey 34-PC1500T battery and furnished her with some "Military style" terminals.

In the below pictures I made a quick jumper for the fuse box supply, I didn't have appropriate heat-shrink at the time for the smaller 2 AWG wire (that 3M thick stuff is expensive!!!).

altcrack.jpg bat1b.jpg batcablestj.jpg IMG_20180510_185403071_HDR.jpg chargeupgrade.jpg jbalt!.jpg 250alt1b.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! 9k for a nice Rubicon is quite a deal, nice job.

Thanks! I thought it was a great deal myself. I have witnessed them go for much higher. There were contributing circumstances (unrelated to the actual Jeep) and I was in the right place at the right time.

Next up... Power Steering Upgrades.

As some of you know the 03+ TJs have the crappy ZF Mercedes gear, not the saginaw. But before that gear went (during a different future incident), my power steering pump gave out on me (dramatically) while driving one day...

It started with a chirp like a bad idler.

The next thing I noticed was copious amounts of smoke coming out from under the hood (carry a fire suppression device on board kids).

I pulled over to take a look, opened the hood, and found PS fluid EVERYWHERE. The pump had emptied all of the PS fluid contents onto the exhaust manifold and all around the engine bay. To make matters worse the pulley was really wobbling bad back and forth; the PS pump bearings were toast.

I drove it home hoping the entire way that I didn't throw a serpentine belt and cause more damage/get stranded. I BARELY made it (things started sounding real bad lol) and was able to replace the pump at home w/o incurring a tow bill.

When the ZF gear began dropping quarts of fluid from the top input shaft seal I had enough.

The answer that fits the build mission? PSC.

The SG400R gear is already tapped for Hydro assist, which will probably happen in the future.

It's also unique in the regard that it is PSC's own casting! This gear fits the later ZF bolt hole pattern w/o any frame modification, is worked over by PSC, and is suppose to move up to 38" tires easily w/o assist.

The new reservoir is extremely nice, holds more fluid, and houses an internal filter element for the PS system.

For a cooler I am using a heavy duty high flow flex-a-lite bar plate auto transmission cooler mounted in the grill.

We will see what happens with the 35s.

gearinstall1.jpg psc1.jpg psc2.jpg psc.jpg

Last edited:
AFE Momentum GT intake.

I went with a better flowing intake which helped get a tiny bit of slug out of the 4.0L, helped IATs recover faster, and just sounds and looks nice.

This setup uses a huge surface area synthetic media dry filter, very easy to clean on the side of the trail if needed (no oil, no cleaners).

Intakes that don't have air boxes are a no go for me on a vehicle like a Jeep.

The filter box is moved much farther forward than stock. This is great because it doesn't take as much splash from the radiator fan and is closer to the headlight area.

This setup has two intake ports on the box - one port on the front of the box which helps draw in cold air from behind the headlight, and one on the hood side similar to how banks does it.

This setup also comes with a plug for the front port should you really need it.

I don't ever plan on submerging the jeep above fender level.

AFE intake.jpg intake2.jpg intake3.jpg intake1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Warn 9.5 CTI - Darth Vader Edition (will look real pretty on the black Rubi).

According to the layer by layer specs this winch nears the strength of most 12K winches in a compact all in one 9K package; she should definitely pull.

I do prefer steel cable over synthetic, this has 125' on the drum; plenty to work with!

Now I need to decide on a front bumper, I am considering the JCR Mauler at the moment.

warn9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I did the red finish on the alternator, did it come like that?

Also, the gloss black finish on that Warn looks awesome too!

Reactions: TehHeep
I did the red finish on the alternator, did it come like that?

Also, the gloss black finish on that Warn looks awesome too!

I requested that color (powder coat).

But he will basically do w/e design or color that you want. You specify the output that you want and what you are looking for; it is all made to order.

The black finish on that Warn does look real sleek, it might have played a part in selling me.

Reactions: Chris
I requested that color (powder coat).

But he will basically do w/e design or color that you want. You specify the output that you want and what you are looking for; it is all made to order.

The black finish on that Warn does look real sleek, it might have played a part in selling me.

Who is it that did that alternator for you? If mine ever goes, I'll have to check that out!

Warn 9.5 CTI - Darth Vader Edition (will look real pretty on the black Rubi).

According to the layer by layer specs this winch nears the strength of most 12K winches in a compact all in one 9K package; she should definitely pull.

I do prefer steel cable over synthetic, this has 125' on the drum; plenty to work with!

Now I need to decide on a front bumper, I am considering the JCR Mauler at the moment.

View attachment 52606
That’s the winch that Dave Herrington with AEV designed the Mopar rock crawler bumper around. That’s the one you need ;)

Also currently working on refreshing the coolant system for good measure; playing around with some different components to see if they are worth while.

- Hesco High Flow Thermostat Housing w/Mopar 195 T.Stat
- FlowKooler Water Pump
- Ford Explorer 11 Blade Fan w/Heavy Duty Clutch
- Silicone Radiator & Heater Hoses.

I am still undecided on the radiator, might just put in a new OEM replacement from Mopar.

jeepfkwp2.jpg jeepfkwp.jpg hoses.jpg fan&clutch.jpg fan2.jpg fan1.jpg fanssuck.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! I've read that those FlowKooler pumps are nothing but a scam. However, you'll have to let us know how you like it and if it makes any difference.

Very cool! I've read that those FlowKooler pumps are nothing but a scam. However, you'll have to let us know how you like it and if it makes any difference.

Right on. I have read it both ways, some are very happy with the increased idle flow. I am going to install everything separate and note changes over the course of days in repeatable conditions.

If it is a scam I will be the first to say it, I am as skeptic as they come! I like to see hard numbers & consistent results and don't get placebo effect syndrome too easily.

This will be a test and trial.

Same thing goes for the fan, if there is no improvement the stock setup goes back on.

I will say that the water pump impeller is nicely made and fits the housing well.

Last edited: