Tennessee Red

Side Note: I took the stock '98 TJ out on an "overlanding" trip through the Ozark-St Francis National Forest in Arkansas Thanksgiving weekend. We had a great time and the trails were gravel roads, to tame rocky trail, to somewhat technical trails. Even had a few deep creek crossings. The stock TJ was perfect and actually made a few technical climbs seem easy where my buddies 4 dr JK on 35's struggled, I guess the lighter weight of the TJ just proved itself. My son (AR recognizes TN Learners Permit) drove a good portion, including the deepest creek crossing and he did really well.

Sorry, no pictures. But if anyone is within a few hours of Central and NW Arkansas, it is definitely worth the trip. The Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are available for free on-line.

Pretty much got the cage finished. Now I am just waiting on PRP seats that I ordered back in October and they are now saying won't be shipped to Jan.

I like the way my A pilar's tied in.
16075174563002497317159231330872.jpg

And I added a little plate to mount my mirror.
20201208_200525.jpg
20201208_210720.jpg

@mattcogdell I got a call last night from a friend about going wheeling this weekend, so I quickly came up with a solution to install the sound pods (I like some tunes when I am wheeling, also the overhead lights come in handy sometimes). anyway with slight modification I was able to get the stock sound pods installed using zip ties. In the future I may drill and tap the tubes to install them permanently, but then again I may just leave them zip tied. Sorry for the not so great pics, I also threw the safari top on in case it rains this weekend.

Anyway, definitely going to be able to use the OEM sound pods. I am not going back with OEM seat belts but I believe it would not be too hard to install them with the kits that are readily available.
20201210_093336.jpg
20201210_093344.jpg
20201210_093352.jpg
20201210_093402.jpg

Reactions: mattcogdell
@mattcogdell I got a call last night from a friend about going wheeling this weekend, so I quickly came up with a solution to install the sound pods (I like some tunes when I am wheeling, also the overhead lights come in handy sometimes). anyway with slight modification I was able to get the stock sound pods installed using zip ties. In the future I may drill and tap the tubes to install them permanently, but then again I may just leave them zip tied. Sorry for the not so great pics, I also threw the safari top on in case it rains this weekend.

Anyway, definitely going to be able to use the OEM sound pods. I am not going back with OEM seat belts but I believe it would not be too hard to install them with the kits that are readily available.
View attachment 209281View attachment 209282View attachment 209283View attachment 209284
Where are you all going?

We are heading to Hot Springs ORV park. Definitely wheeling all day Saturday and then either wheeling or mt biking on Sunday.

My wife is from Kingsport so we get to East Tn a good bit, but unfortunately not with the jeep to often. I made it to windrock a few years back and we were supposed to do a trip to Nemo Tunnel this fall but it got cancelled.

My wife is from Kingsport so we get to East Tn a good bit, but unfortunately not with the jeep to often. I made it to windrock a few years back and we were supposed to do a trip to Nemo Tunnel this fall but it got cancelled.
If you bring the Jeep sometime we can ride together. Plenty of good places, AOP, Cove, Windrock. Several others towards middle TN.

Reactions: gasiorv
A great trip to HSORV, Saturday was great weather and we ran a bunch of 4's and 5's. Jeep did great. Sunday the rain moved in and we went a little tamer and cruised around on 2's and 3's. With the rain, even a few of the lower level trails introduced a few challenging spots. The ride back to the airbnb on the roads in a down pour proved to be plenty wet with no fender flares and the water coming off the tires directly into the Jeep (no doors or windows installed).

The only thing that I noticed with the new cage installed is I am getting a "popping" noise every once in a while, it sounds like sheet metal popping, coming from the passenger side (rear?). I am not sure if where the cage is mounted to the body it is flexing due to improper fit up or something else, I will have to investigate.

As normal, I didn't get any pictures, too busy livin!

I was originally not planning on installing a top after installing the roll cage. However, after wheeling in the rain and 35 deg this past Sunday, I have changed my mind. Installing a top is not so much for me, but for my passengers.

I knew that any type of trektop or top that rode against the factory roll bar would not work with the new cage, but that a factory type top that uses bows may work. I still had the bows, header, and door surrounds from the factory soft top and I found a used bestop replace a top on craigslist.

I modified the rear bow and the bow brackets to allow for the bow to clear the new roll cage.

20201216_131946.jpg

20201216_192115.jpg

20201216_192130.jpg

20201216_192141.jpg

20201216_192205.jpg

I had to modify the upper part of the door surrounds to allow for them to fit. I just trimmed off the flanges that surround the roll bar, haven't figure out how to permanently attach them yet, right now I just have zip ties. The top is on and good and tight.
20201216_153617.jpg

20201216_153610.jpg

The cable was getting pretty old on my winch so I decided to replace it with a synthetic rope. Since the rollers were no longer smooth due to cable use I replaced it with a cheap aluminum fairlead. I debated on just reinstalling the hook since it has worked trouble free for years but I figured I would try one of the safety shackles. I just bought a cheap shackle to see if I like it before investing in a more expensive shackle or switch back to hook. I never thought I would go synthetic I pulled cable a few weeks ago for a guy who had synthetic and I was amazed at how much lighter and easier to pull.

20201228_134010.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I used some scrap that I had laying around to build some brackets to mount my hilift and air tank. I run a rear seat half the time so I wanted the jack and air tank to fit behind the seat when installed.

I picked up an existing fastener in the floor and in the fender wall for the air tank mount.
20201230_101007.jpg

20201230_100956.jpg

I picked up the roll bar attach fasteners for the jack mounts.
20201230_101013.jpg

Not bad for some scrap.

When I flopped her on the side back in October, it really emphasized the need to have everything secured. Luckily, No one got hit with anything but a small cooler and a cell phone just barely missed my son's head. I have always attached everything, but I used bungees on a few things. Going fwd everything will be attached via strap or physically bolted.

Reactions: Mike_H
Went to Hawk Pride in Alabama on New Year's day. Great day on the trails, the access roads were a muddy mess but once we got in the actual trail, the trails were good. I did suffer little body damage on the driver's side when exiting Merlin, but other than that the jeep faired well. We did some night wheeling and I could not see, I only had headlights so after struggling on a few trails I called it a day and let the younger guys continue on through the night. Our next trip will require some night riding (going to depart Friday evening to get to base camp around midnight, then wheel from there sat morning). So I added some lights up under my front fenders to hopefully aid my sight. Don't think these will last long where they are located, but someone gave them to me a while back and i had them laying in a box, so i am not worried if they get destroyed by debris or water. Just need to get through this trip in a few weeks.
20210105_091039.jpg

Also, the PRP seats that I ordered back in October finally came in. Started mocking up some brackets. This first set, the front is a little high for me, so I am going to drop it a 1/8-1/4" to see if I like it better. Overall height is good just need it down a little in the front.
20210105_091158.jpg

20210105_091123.jpg

Reactions: Armyranger21
Got the drivers side PRP seat installed just in time to go do a little wheelin this weekend. Going to Coppinger Cove and Iron Gap Rd in East TN. Going to do some COLD weather camping!!

My TN Flag license plate on the front has taken a beating, so I replaced it with a sticker for the trip (the important things).

sticker flag.jpg

Retired the removed plate to the wall of fame in the garage.

retired TN plate.jpg

Got the drivers side PRP seat installed just in time to go do a little wheelin this weekend. Going to Coppinger Cove and Iron Gap Rd in East TN. Going to do some COLD weather camping!!

My TN Flag license plate on the front has taken a beating, so I replaced it with a sticker for the trip (the important things).

View attachment 218004

Retired the removed plate to the wall of fame in the garage.

View attachment 218005
I will at the top of the cove this Saturday. They are having a volunteer work day for the Coalmont OHV Area. That evening we will be riding down towards Bryant's Cove and staying at the cabin right above Bryant's Cove. This is "if" the work day does not get canceled. If it does we will probably ride anyways.

1610665032571.png

IMG_0289.jpg

Reactions: gasiorv
I think the plan is to wheel all day and eventually camp at Bear Creek or something like that. I have never been there but I am going with others that have been. I am excited to check it out.

I think the plan is to wheel all day and eventually camp at Bear Creek or something like that. I have never been there but I am going with others that have been. I am excited to check it out.
Y’all will probably be going in the bottom at the farm. I think you’ll enjoy it.