Teraflex Falcon TJ Shocks

Daz7

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What's the word on these, anyone 'actually' running them with feedback?

On paper they appear pretty good, and the marketing at least suggests they've been specifically valved for TJ's, and match Terraflex springs.

I don't know anything about them, but them being matched to their springs is just marketing ... and any TJ shock has been valued specifically for the application.

As far as shocks, you really can't go wrong with the Rancho 5000X shocks.

Reactions: TJBob
I rate them #1 for coolest name. With them and a set of the "blue blocker super duper aviator bro-sunglasses" and a new " navy seal ultra brite as the sun frozen in ice flashlight " you'd be unstoppable! 👍
Seriously tho, I have no idea about the shocks.🙄 Just that the more they typically puff up the name the less the item does. Like every thing with an acronym for a name.

I rate them #1 for coolest name. With them and a set of the "blue blocker super duper aviator bro-sunglasses" and a new " navy seal ultra brite as the sun frozen in ice flashlight " you'd be unstoppable! 👍
Seriously tho, I have no idea about the shocks.🙄 Just that the more they typically puff up the name the less the item does. Like every thing with an acronym for a name.

But wait!! That’s not all!! Call in the next 20 minutes and get a SECOND pair of “blue blocker super duper aviator bro sunglasses”!! Haha! Sorry couldn’t resist!

X2 on the Rancho’s. I run them. They are a good ride, along with proper tire pressure.

Sounds like its time for another one of your youtube reviews Darryl

... and any TJ shock has been valued specifically for the application.

As far as shocks, you really can't go wrong with the Rancho 5000X shocks.

This statement really struck me as funny. When I was looking for shocks in the past. I found that companies like OME and Bilstien had different shock numbers with different valving for every application from TJ, to XJ etc. However, Rancho did not. Rancho used the same shocks on TJs and XJs and other applications. So it would seem to me that every shock has been valved for the TJ except the one you choose. Rancho appears to use a generic valving for all Jeeps. But it appears to not be a problem for most.

In regards to Falkon. I have no personal experience. There is a guy on Rubicon Owners Forum who switched from 10 year old 5100s to the Falkons and he really likes the Falkons. If I recall correctly he said they control motion better than the old Billies. But that probably shouldn't be surprising on a 10 year old shock.

So none of y'all have first hand knowledge or even second hand second hand knowledge, but you know they are no good?
No, I don't think anyone truly believes they are no good. I do believe that given Tera's record and how they do things, if they are good, that would be very unusual. It would be very rare also to wind up with valving that matches most rigs especially given the variability between rigs. I do know they are corner specific. The ride wasn't horrible in the set I drove.

So none of y'all have first hand knowledge or even second hand second hand knowledge, but you know they are no good?
I know Teraflex, their factory is just down the road from my place and I avoid buying anything from them. I quit when they closed up the old Mepco facility and went to strictly their own product line. Design it here, send to China, and have it produced by the cheapest bidder...and the design is marginal for many simple things.

I wonder who designed and makes the Falkons for Tera? Did Falkon do all the engineering and manufacturing themselves or did they source it out? They might be good if they were done by a good shock company. However, it seems kind of strange that you would start a new shock company like Falkon based on a product that was designed and build by someone else. I don't know.

No, I don't think anyone truly believes they are no good. I do believe that given Tera's record and how they do things, if they are good, that would be very unusual. It would be very rare also to wind up with valving that matches most rigs especially given the variability between rigs. I do know they are corner specific. The ride wasn't horrible in the set I drove.
Why are you so damn reasonable?

What's your opinion of the ranchos? I have a set and think that they are just ok. Not enough rebound control, especially in the rear. At speed, they do seem to keep up better than any other off the shelf twin-tube shock in their price range I've ever used. I still recommend them with the caveat don't expect a miracle

Reactions: Chris
What's your opinion of the ranchos? I have a set and think that they are just ok. Not enough rebound control, especially in the rear.

That was my personal experience with the Rancho 9000XL as well.

Falcon is a Teraflex product

Yep. Does Tera make their own shocks or source them out? I assumed they sourced that kind of thing out. But maybe starting up Falkon is a means to an end. If Falkon does their own design and manufacturing, Tera could then have Falkon design/build all of their shocks.

I wonder who designed and makes the Falkons for Tera? Did Falkon do all the engineering and manufacturing themselves or did they source it out? They might be good if they were done by a good shock company. However, it seems kind of strange that you would start a new shock company like Falkon based on a product that was designed and build by someone else. I don't know.
Likely they contracted out a suspension engineer and after a few very expensive prototypes found the design they were happy with valved to please the masses, ran it by the legal team to make sure they were not infringing on copyrights and then shipped it off to china to be mass-produced. Then the marketing team got to work.
A "shock company " doesn't design anything. There will be a few well-paid individuals that would do the tricky parts.

That was my personal experience with the Rancho 9000XL as well.

Yep. Does Tera make their own shocks or source them out? I assumed they sourced that kind of thing out. But maybe starting up Falkon is a means to an end. If Falkon does their own design and manufacturing, Tera could then have Falkon design/build all of their shocks.
Everything I saw at Teraflex was offshore produced They are just a designer/reseller

Here's a video where Dennis and Ryan flew all the way out the China to see the assembly line. ;)

(...all the way to Utah...)

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse and Chris
Everything I saw at Teraflex was offshore produced They are just a designer/reseller

I would not put Teraflex in the same category as Currie/Savvy (and neither would they) but the Teraflex springs I am running are stamped Made in USA and their Falcon shock assembly line is as well if you watch the video. Personally, I have heard nothing but positive things about these shocks except for the price.

They're a no-name shock with Tera's name on a decal on them. No telling who made them. I'm no fan of anything Teraflex rebadges with their name, they generally buy from the lowest bidder who claims they're the "right (whatever) for the TJ".

I used to be a big Teraflex fan, see an old pic of my first TJ with the Teraflex windshield sticker, but I gave up on them years ago. Especially after my Teraflex control arms proved to be so inflexible that they tore two of my control arm mounting brackets out of where they were welded to the axle. Dang I still had dark hair in that photo lol.

jer1a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and Chris
They're a no-name shock with Tera's name on a decal on them. No telling who made them. I'm no fan of anything Teraflex rebadges with their name, they generally buy from the lowest bidder who claims they're the "right shocks for the TJ".

They seem to be a little more than that.