Teraflex free spin bearing went out at 60 mph

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Woo hoo, makes death wobble something to look forward to. It took all I had to get it to the road side. Trust me, you don’t want that to ever happen.

Do they sell a rebuild kit?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT
Waiting on wrecker to get it home, just a leaning tire and grease flung out is all I will have to for starters ..not sure if I’m tearing into or the shop...they do Facebook messenger on weekends so I will reach out.

Will be fun to see what all is damaged & what it looks like.

This is turning into a experiance for you.

Assuming you weren't jumping it at 60mph (if you were, we need pictures of that too), it certainly sounds like either an installation issue or issue with the parts. If Teraflex cares about their product (which they probably don't), they should be interested in helping you get back on the road.

Assuming you weren't jumping it at 60mph (if you were, we need pictures of that too), it certainly sounds like either an installation issue or issue with the parts. If Teraflex cares about their product (which they probably don't), they should be interested in helping you get back on the road.
They have been supportive so far, the entire venture was just so that I could get out of my comfort zone and get to mess with something a little more extreme.

Agree with what you say, it was losing grease prior so it had some to lose...I really should have already checked it.

Brakes faded too. Boy that was a help.
I’m just debugging the thing and having fun while I’m at it.

The ARB lockers wanted to puke gear oil, turns out the short run to the front diff is prone to...I bought the purge valves, they stopped that. Likely still need rebuilt, will see how often they cycle.

Radiator was installed with no allowance for flex so it steams a tad at the tank, new one coming.

Ultimately it needs a proper control arm set up if I want it more streetable, it is completely bushingless ...or was til I put a track bar on.

One thing I’ve learned about this is not only how things move has to be addressed, but how freely they move matters as well. Too much too fast is not always good.

Waiting on wrecker to get it home, just a leaning tire and grease flung out is all I will have to for starters ..not sure if I’m tearing into or the shop...they do Facebook messenger on weekends so I will reach out.
WOW sounds like quite a ride ! Glad you got it reeled in without a serious wreck!
Waiting on what you find out when it's torn down. Hang in there!

They have been supportive so far, the entire venture was just so that I could get out of my comfort zone and get to mess with something a little more extreme.

Agree with what you say, it was losing grease prior so it had some to lose...I really should have already checked it.

Brakes faded too. Boy that was a help.
I’m just debugging the thing and having fun while I’m at it.

The ARB lockers wanted to puke gear oil, turns out the short run to the front diff is prone to...I bought the purge valves, they stopped that. Likely still need rebuilt, will see how often they cycle.

Radiator was installed with no allowance for flex so it steams a tad at the tank, new one coming.

Ultimately it needs a proper control arm set up if I want it more streetable, it is completely bushingless ...or was til I put a track bar on.

One thing I’ve learned about this is not only how things move has to be addressed, but how freely they move matters as well. Too much too fast is not always good.
Reading between the lines here but it sounds like that rig you showed pics of with all the crap wrong with was in fact something you owned or were about to own and now it owned you.

Reading between the lines here but it sounds like that rig you showed pics of with all the crap wrong with was in fact something you owned or were about to own and now it owned you.
Yep. I can’t suffer enough in daily life, I have to add to it.

And the kicker is I don’t even care, I have zero expectations, nothing to prove and no trails to conquer that I can’t with my other TJ.

I had a business arrangement that benefitted me to move one, this one was cheap and I knew I could part it out or scavenge what I wanted or sell it to the next victim.

I’m just farting around, and not wildly throwing money at it at this point, but I’m aware to make it right or better that money has to change hands. Not really worried about it .

One thing that is becoming evident is not only am I pretty clueless, but good off road knowledge can’t be found down here either.

Reactions: Wildman
Hopefully it is just a bearing that failed and if that is the case you should be able to acquire what you need and most any good parts store. If the hub or spindle is damaged you will be going back to Tera for that.

Reactions: AndyG

And the kicker is I don’t even care, I have zero expectations, nothing to prove and no trails to conquer that I can’t with my other TJ.

I had a business arrangement that benefitted me to move one, this one was cheap and I knew I could part it out or scavenge what I wanted or sell it to the next victim.

I’m just farting around, and not wildly throwing money at it at this point, but I’m aware to make it right or better that money has to change hands. Not really worried about it .

One thing that is becoming evident is not only am I pretty clueless, but good off road knowledge can’t be found down here either.

I've only seen a few other Jeeps that were running CRD front axles. I don't know why other than I just think Teraflex wasn't as popular as other axle manufactures. Why they don't use off the shelf stuff when designing these axles I'll never understand. I hope it's nothing all to serious.

Yes this Jeep seems to have been slapped together. I've got faith in ya.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Hopefully it is just a bearing that failed and if that is the case you should be able to acquire what you need and most any good parts store. If the hub or spindle is damaged you will be going back to Tera for that.
My money is on the spindle nuts backing off. I've seen many that are not installed properly.

Reactions: AndyG and Blackjack

Tenn is where to be. Birmingham has a shop and Motobilt is down in Dothan.

When I was 19 I had an experience with my 280z where the hub, bearing, and spindle welded themselves together at 60mph. Sounds about like your experience, though I at least had the comfort of a low center of gravity.

In my case, it was 100% installer error. I was early in my journey of learning auto work and that was one of the first, and the last, times I did something I hadn't done before without at least skimming the service manual first. That was the day that I learned the torque procedure for a spindle nut with taper bearings isn't the same as for a unit bearing.

I've only seen a few other Jeeps that were running CRD front axles. I don't know why other than I just think Teraflex wasn't as popular as other axle manufactures. Why they don't use off the shelf stuff when designing these axles I'll never understand. I hope it's nothing all to serious.

Yes this Jeep seems to have been slapped together. I've got faith in ya.
The suspension, if you call it that , it worthless.

The integration of the engine and electronics, dash, etc is impressive. I left church the other night and a red light was on....they even wired the parking brake light up to the new cluster.

It doesn’t have to “be” anything right now, as far as right, proper, etc.

I’ve already been offered a JK for it.

The first goal is to not get killed in it.

second is to see if it’s mechanically reliable under the hood, stays cool, etc.

Then it’s suspension and steering if I hang on to it , but I’m not married to it .

The suspension, if you call it that , it worthless.

The integration of the engine and electronics, dash, etc is impressive. I left church the other night and a red light was on....they even wired the parking brake light up to the new cluster.

It doesn’t have to “be” anything right now, as far as right, proper, etc.

I’ve already been offered a JK for it.

The first goal is to not get killed in it.

second is to see if it’s mechanically reliable under the hood, stays cool, etc.

Then it’s suspension and steering if I hang on to it , but I’m not married to it .

It's good that they at least did the engine swap correctly as I've seen some really shitty swaps done since I got mine done. The shop that did mine was the place to take your rig on the west coast and he did a shitty job on mine. I had to deal with a lot of stuff that wasn't correct. Took me a while to get mine running correctly. In his defense he couldn't test drive it since I was swapping axles once I had it back and this is what caused a lot of issues.
But it was also like a month or 6 weeks late to be finished and when I arrived to pick it up he didn't even have it running yet.

Having to redo all that stuff will take a little time but if you decide to keep it I'm sure once you are done with it you'll have a BLAST with it. Of course then the BUG will hit you and you'll be adding stuff to the engine to hop it up.

It's good that they at least did the engine swap correctly as I've seen some really shitty swaps done since I got mine done. The shop that did mine was the place to take your rig on the west coast and he did a shitty job on mine. I had to deal with a lot of stuff that wasn't correct. Took me a while to get mine running correctly. In his defense he couldn't test drive it since I was swapping axles once I had it back and this is what caused a lot of issues.
But it was also like a month or 6 weeks late to be finished and when I arrived to pick it up he didn't even have it running yet.

Having to redo all that stuff will take a little time but if you decide to keep it I'm sure once you are done with it you'll have a BLAST with it. Of course then the BUG will hit you and you'll be adding stuff to the engine to hop it up.
I can’t imagine tackling a swap , I realize there are guys out there that aren’t intimidated. We have a top notch LS guru out here, lives out in the sticks a little, has a dyno, and he is the man for those.

Reactions: Wildman