Testing Eaton e-locker in garage

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What are the steps to test to see if my locker is locking?

Right now the only way I've "tested" it was on the trail when I needed it. I look out the driver window and see the driver side tire not moving. Kind of sucks right at the start of a day of offroading.

What are the steps to test to see if my locker is locking?

Right now the only way I've "tested" it was on the trail when I needed it. I look out the driver window and see the driver side tire not moving. Kind of sucks right at the start of a day of offroading.
Jack up one side, activate locker, turn tire that is in the air. If it turns around 1 revolution, locker is not engaged.

Just came back from a trip where I didn’t have my rear locker working. Looked under the dash under the steering wheel and notice a loose wire. It was a ground wire so I I reconnected it. Turned on the locker button and now it lights up.

just needed a way to test the locker.

Reactions: JMT and SvtLdr
Or just engage it and turn around in the street, it's pretty obvious when they are working, hop, screech and all. The whole don't engage them on the street is just for trips to the market, makes no difference driving 50 feet.

Well shit, I performed both tests and it doesn't seem to lock.

I was able to confirm that 12 volts makes it to the plug going into the diff.

What are some of the common problems if it isn't locking?

It is broken.
You are not wrong.

To be more specific, somehow the plug isn’t allowing power to go into the locker. I finally figured this out by pulling the wires out of the plug and shoving them into the plug coming from the power source. Locked up right away.
Of course I figured this all out after I pulled the cover off.
Does anyone know if 75w-90 full synthetic is ok to use?

From Eaton's site, because I was also wondering if you needed a friction modifier in the gear oil.

What type of gear oil should I use with the ELocker?​

• Most gear oils are sufficient: a quality, petroleum-mineral based oil is recommended.
  • Synthetic oils and friction modifiers can also be used, but are not necessary.
  • In cold weather conditions, a lower viscosity gear oil (equivalent to API GL-5 75W-90) is recommended.

You are not wrong.

To be more specific, somehow the plug isn’t allowing power to go into the locker. I finally figured this out by pulling the wires out of the plug and shoving them into the plug coming from the power source. Locked up right away.
Of course I figured this all out after I pulled the cover off.
Does anyone know if 75w-90 full synthetic is ok to use?
I had issues with my Eaton plugs also. I reached out to Eaton about it and they sent me some replacements right away. I was hoping that I might receive an updated design that would work better? No such luck. I received the exact same style of plug and had the exact same issues. I tried a few different methods but nothing seemed to work. The pins just didn't want to stay put and eventually would retreat to the point where they wouldn't make contact. I ended up just cutting the Eaton connectors off and making my own. They've worked flawlessly for almost 3 years now.

I've always used conventional 80w-90 with my Eaton E-Lockers.

Last edited: