Texas Texas Panhandle Trails (Merus Adventure Park)

LJtheunicorn

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good morning everyone! The wife and I spent the weekend in Amarillo and the Palo Duro Canyon area. Saturday evening while driving some backroads we stumbled across the entrance to Merus Adventure Park on the north side of the canyon. We were in the F-150 so we didn’t do much wheeling but we did drive out to the bluff and got a good birds eye view, we will certainly return with the LJ. Anyone else heard of this place? It is brand new they just closed on the land in April, around 5500 acres currently around 40 miles of trails but big plans for the future, everything from cabins to event venue and more. Looks like it will be very promising! It’s only open to Full size vehicles no sxs or atv use. They also have TONS of mountain bike trails within the canyon.

My friend and forum member @b0xcar mentioned he has a trip planned to Merus. Can’t wait to hear his report!

We are going to be out at Merus at the end of the month 09/29-09/30. That’s Wednesday and Thursday. We will be wheeling both full days, if anyone would like to join us that would be great you’ll have to contact the park and add on to the Gilbert group. Hope y’all can make it out!

We are going to be out at Merus at the end of the month 09/29-09/30. That’s Wednesday and Thursday. We will be wheeling both full days, if anyone would like to join us that would be great you’ll have to contact the park and add on to the Gilbert group. Hope y’all can make it out!
Oh ok I was hoping for a weekend trip! If it were a saturday we’d be there!

I'll be planning a trip next year to Merus. We need to rally the area troops and set something up.

Reactions: Tob
North of DFW in Flower Mound. Probably just a weekend, primitive camping. I'm still in the process of building/fixing my Jeep but I'll definitely be ready when it warms up a bit in March/April.

Well shoot, you got my hopes up! I took to the google maps page for the park to look at pictures, but it's just a bunch of riced out 4 runners and JK's on dirt roads or flexed out on the biggest pebble they could find. :rolleyes:

@Bob in Texas was there anything more technical than dirt roads?

My wife, myself, and b0xcar went up to Merus this past September/October. We had a great time, at the time they had about 45 miles of trails and were expected to have 90 miles by spring/summer of this coming year. At the time they had camping only but are planning to have around 40 cabin rentals in the future, I think that's what they said. Yes we did some purty challenging trails marked Black on their trail map and were working on more Black trails. We lucked out and had the whole place to ourselves, we went mid week. It was well worth the trip and will make our yearly calendar along with UT, AZ, and CO.

Reactions: PRNDL and Tob
2.jpeg
8.jpeg
IMG_2057.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.12.33 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 2.13.57 PM.jpeg

• Love
Awesome, thanks for sharing. They should've put something more like these pics in the promo video - that looks much more appealing than dirt roads!
Yeah Tob we really did have a great time. If y'all get a group together it would be worth the trip for sure! We were there for two full days of wheeling on the last day my rear locker played out so I missed some more obstacles. Locker repaired when we got home and were off to Moab And Canyonlands, did some great trails and lockers fully functioning. Made it back home last week was a great trip!