Texting and driving

From what I've seen of old clips from 1920's and stuff, reminds me of Iraq. It would be interesting to say the least.

Looks like over all we are pretty much in agreement. The "virtually for free" is probably a reason it isn't included by default. If it works as well as you say and the results would be a positive then I hope it the lawsuit goes well. I have mixed views on stuff presented in the name of "safety".

Same here I have my phone in my pocket and I can feel it move around when I get a text or phone call, but I never check it nor answer a phone call. I even have hands free but still don't answer calls. I do sometimes bluetooth music from my server at home to my radio via the phone, but the controls move to the radio so I don't ever have to touch the phone. If I get a phone call it is annoying because my music stops while someone calls me, but then It goes back to the music. I also use the nav but I program it before I take off, and I don't need to touch it till we get where we are going.

I am old enough to know what it was like to drive without a phone. Hell I am old enough to know what it was like not having one on me at all times. I can surely take time out to drive where ever and not be bothered by it.

I never even look at my cell phone when I am driving. If I feel it vibrate, I don't even check to see who it was till I get to where I am going. I consider phone calls like email. You can call me or email me, and I will get back to you at my earliest convenience.

Apple Car Play on my latest head unit in the TJ,

I receive a text, the head unit shows I've received a text on screen, you tap the notification and it reads the text to you. Siri then asks if you want to reply, voice answer yes or no. Then dictate your text message (siri reads it back to you when finished). Then voice command send. At no point are you reading anything apart from the initial "text received from xxxx" balloon

Find it really useful.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I know in Oz (just this week) they started using cameras above highway signs...made specifically designed to target people on their phones (texting or calling)

Because when I pull up at any traffic light, nearly every driver around you has their phone sitting in their lap, ready to use as soon as they come to a stop.
It's getting stupid here however, I saw a motorcycle cop recently watch a driver go through a red turn light (and there wasn't any red light camera on this corner), said policeman then lane split through the stopped traffic and pulled up a person using their phone. In my mind the red light guy was a bigger issue, but seems this cop was sent out to book phone users.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Because when I pull up at any traffic light, nearly every driver around you has their phone sitting in their lap, ready to use as soon as they come to a stop.
It's getting stupid here however, I saw a motorcycle cop recently watch a driver go through a red turn light (and there wasn't any red light camera on this corner), said policeman then lane split through the stopped traffic and pulled up a person using their phone. In my mind the red light guy was a bigger issue, but seems this cop was sent out to book phone users.
Its getting worse out here too...only a matter of time before we follow your rules and regulations :rolleyes:
I agree running the light is worse....phone use is the flavour of the month

Scientific fact, as technology improves, people take more risks. One example, improvements in antiskid brakes have allowed stupid people to drive faster on snowy/slippery roads, this increased speed has a direct correlation with increased injuries when things go wrong. Studying this part of what I researched in my dissertation. Dr. Tim
In your dissertation did you actually call antilock brakes antiskid? And possibly incorrectly focus on antilock technology which actually increases stopping distances instead of electronic traction controls? Inquiring minds want to know.

MLG is going after the wrong folks. What about the passengers? The responsibility is always on the driver. Lobby legislators to write a law where there is a $250 fine for texting while driving and few people will pay attention. Convince them to write a law where the penalty is life in prison and the problem will nearly go away. I don't advocate a law that extreme of course but maybe something approaching DUI is reasonable. It's up to legislators to craft effective laws that don't infringe on the rest of society.

They recently beefed up the fines here. It's a grand and 3 points for the first offense and it doubles for the second, again for the third. Also they notify your insurer and a lot of companies are planning to drop people who get convinced. It's probably made a difference but I couldn't say for sure.

The issue I have is there is no burden of proof required. I know someone who was given the ticket for holding a toll highway transponder in his hand. If you contest the ticket they boost up the fine if you loose.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Apple Car Play on my latest head unit in the TJ,

I receive a text, the head unit shows I've received a text on screen, you tap the notification and it reads the text to you. Siri then asks if you want to reply, voice answer yes or no. Then dictate your text message (siri reads it back to you when finished). Then voice command send. At no point are you reading anything apart from the initial "text received from xxxx" balloon

Find it really useful.

I have the same functionality in my GMC Canyon with Android and Android Auto... I respond to texts via voice daily... never touch or look at the phone screen.

They recently beefed up the fines here. It's a grand and 3 points for the first offense and it doubles for the second, again for the third. Also they notify your insurer and a lot of companies are planning to drop people who get convinced. It's probably made a difference but I couldn't say for sure.

The issue I have is there is no burden of proof required. I know someone who was given the ticket for holding a toll highway transponder in his hand. If you contest the ticket they boost up the fine if you loose.

So they fine you more if you contest the ticket and loose?? Good ole Canada, so much for your right to have your day in court, you have to pay extra for that!

So they fine you more if you contest the ticket and loose?? Good ole Canada, so much for your right to have your day in court, you have to pay extra for that!
Yep they are doing it for a few things now. If a cop knocks down your ticket they also write the original speed on it. If you challenge the ticket and loose they bump it back up to the original charge. I think I remember seeing they are going to do the same thing with dui, if you loose in court they double the fine but I'm not 100% sure on that one. We also have a couple or road side suspension tickets now, particularly for the "warn range" of .05-.08 where you get a suspension and your car is impounded but you don't get charged so you can't fight it... Things are getting odd from a highway traffic act standard.

Yep they are doing it for a few things now. If a cop knocks down your ticket they also write the original speed on it. If you challenge the ticket and loose they bump it back up to the original charge. I think I remember seeing they are going to do the same thing with dui, if you loose in court they double the fine but I'm not 100% sure on that one. We also have a couple or road side suspension tickets now, particularly for the "warn range" of .05-.08 where you get a suspension and your car is impounded but you don't get charged so you can't fight it... Things are getting odd from a highway traffic act standard.

Wow!

Is that an Ontario thing? I don't recall hearing anything like that for NS.

Is that an Ontario thing? I don't recall hearing anything like that for NS.
Yep, don't know if any other provinces are doing the same or not.

The only thing that changed recently with pot being legalized was changes to the dui laws. The individual province gets to set the punishments. However they have changed it so not only do cops now NOT need probable cause to pull you over and breathalyzer you. They can force you to take a breathalyzer up to 2 hours after you stopped driving and if you fail its up to you to prove you only started drinking after you stopped driving. In that case you are now guilty unless you can prove your inocense. Fun times I tell ya, oh and the federally approved road side devices to test for pot intoxication... Produce a huge number of false positives in general, and apparently produce even more when they are cold, because, you know... Its never cold in Canada.

Reactions: derekmac
Yep, don't know if any other provinces are doing the same or not.

The only thing that changed recently with pot being legalized was changes to the dui laws. The individual province gets to set the punishments. However they have changed it so not only do cops now NOT need probable cause to pull you over and breathalyzer you. They can force you to take a breathalyzer up to 2 hours after you stopped driving and if you fail its up to you to prove you only started drinking after you stopped driving. In that case you are now guilty unless you can prove your inocense. Fun times I tell ya, oh and the federally approved road side devices to test for pot intoxication... Produce a huge number of false positives in general, and apparently produce even more when they are cold, because, you know... Its never cold in Canada.

Hummmmm guilty until proven innocent.... what's wrong with this picture. I guess Canada thinks all the pesents in their country are all a bunch of siners, you just have to prove you're not.
Glad I'm not going back.

Hummmmm guilty until proven innocent.... what's wrong with this picture. I guess Canada thinks all the pesents in their country are all a bunch of siners, you just have to prove you're not.
Glad I'm not going back.
Lol yep for that charge.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Now texting while driving isn’t an “essential liberty” however I believe the argument still stands. Should those actions be illegal while operating a motor vehicle? I believe so! As should driving intoxicated or while on mind altering drugs! But to force people to accept software that prevents such things (same argument could be said for a mandate that all cars have built in breathalyzers) seems like a reach of power. A limit on freedom, which I am inclined to disagree with. Just my 2 cents!

MLG Automotive Law, has filed a class action lawsuit against Apple, seeking to enjoin it from selling any more iPhones until it installs texting and driving safeguards in its cell phones.

Apple has had the technology to prevent driving and texting since 2008 and received a patent on the technology in 2014. It refuses to install the technology out of a fear of losing market share.

This is why Government Regulations work. They level the playing field making everyone use the technology.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...SOCtVXuqA7EbGN7acp_mBtJ2aUmMt_ATM7b0tilm0-o68
View attachment 77048
That's why amazon don't deliver stuff in Canada.