Thank you for recommending Rancho RS5000X shocks!

Hey All,

I ordered the 5000x after reading so many good reviews from here. I ordered through Amazon and when they showed up no where on the box does it say 5000x. Only x I can find is on the RS5000X sticker that comes in the box with the shock from Rancho.

Can anyone tell if I got the 5000 or 5000x?

BD575AC1-2672-4603-8D9A-C05464A6E4DF.jpeg

95FE566D-1F6E-43CA-B7F6-EF6943C3A3A4.jpeg

D75C6BDE-8C84-43D0-92B4-19D63C9BE9E6.jpeg

These comments about the shocks leaking out the gas charge, don't they come with a lifetime warranty?

Or do they consider that normal wear?

Hey All,

I ordered the 5000x after reading so many good reviews from here. I ordered through Amazon and when they showed up no where on the box does it say 5000x. Only x I can find is on the RS5000X sticker that comes in the box with the shock from Rancho.

Can anyone tell if I got the 5000 or 5000x?
You want the RS5000X. I think that the RS5000X replaced the 5000X.

I ended up google the UPC and cross referenced it with summit and summit says it’s a 5000x. Didn’t know if there was a tell tale way of telling by just looking at them
You want the RS5000X. I think that the RS5000X replaced the 5000X.

The old style (non-x) haven’t been sold by major retailers for years now. I confirmed this with Rancho and 4wp when trying to understand why my shocks rode so terrible fresh out of the box. They were by far the worst purchase I’ve made for the Jeep.

The old style was RS5000.

The current version is RS5000x.

Last edited:
I thought the "x" in RS5000x just referred to the length or exact model of the shock, i.e., RS55239, RS55241, etc., etc.

No?

I thought the "x" in RS5000x just referred to the length or exact model of the shock, i.e., RS55239, RS55241, etc., etc.

No?

Based on what I've read and what I was told (see previous post), my understanding is that they are not the same model line. The RS5000 is no longer produced. I believe the new model is gas pressurized and the previous version was not, but I'm no expert on Rancho shocks.

FWIW, there is also a RS7000 shock (no X).

RS5000x vs RS5000 Examples:

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 2.59.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 2.58.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HaydukeLives!
No sooner do I finish one project on my Jeep I see a thread about something else I might need. My shocks don't have the repeated "bounce" that you see on worn out shocks on big battle cruiser cars but it's kinda rough on bad roads, wonder if shocks would help that?

No sooner do I finish one project on my Jeep I see a thread about something else I might need. My shocks don't have the repeated "bounce" that you see on worn out shocks on big battle cruiser cars but it's kinda rough on bad roads, wonder if shocks would help that?
What shocks are you running? And are your tires inflated properly, or could they be overinflated as is so common? What size tires are you running and what's the air pressure in them?

There's cheap 31's on it right now and I run them at 28 PSI. Rear shocks are painted black and I have no idea what brand they are, fronts are some type of Ranchos. I'll have to crawl under there and look for more numbers, should'a done that yesterday while it was in the garage. It's hot and humid out there today and there's mosquitoes.:( I have no idea how old any of the suspension is.

Rancho fronts.jpg

rears.jpg

There's cheap 31's on it right now and I run them at 28 PSI. Rear shocks are painted black and I have no idea what brand they are, fronts are some type of Ranchos. I'll have to crawl under there and look for more numbers, should'a done that yesterday while it was in the garage. It's hot and humid out there today and there's mosquitoes.:( I have no idea how old any of the suspension is.

View attachment 457487

View attachment 457488
Unbolt the bottom of one of the front Rancho shocks and see if it expands out when you pull it out of the bottom mount or if it stays put when you compress it or pull it apart. If it stays put you have the older RS5000 hydraulic which is stiff as hell. No clue what's in the back.

Reactions: B1Toad
Unbolt the bottom of one of the front Rancho shocks and see if it expands out when you pull it out of the bottom mount or if it stays put when you compress it or pull it apart. If it stays put you have the older RS5000 hydraulic which is stiff as hell. No clue what's in the back.

Will do on the next round.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That rear one could a skyjacker black max. They are configured the opposite of ranchos with the can on top.

Reactions: B1Toad
That rear one could a skyjacker black max. They are configured the opposite of ranchos with the can on top.

I wish I had researched a little better, and knew the black maxes were installed can up before I remove the bar pin from one of the rear shocks and realized I had to put it back in… What a pain in the ass!… 😂

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom