Thank You, OBD2 Scan Tool!

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently replaced all of my O2 sensors (Thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/check-engine-light-flashed-while-driving-recommendations.67087/) and felt like that had been successful. No new CELs, no rough idle, and no hesitation.

However, at the time I didn't really watch any live data on the scanner to actually check that everything was working as it should.

I drove the Jeep to work today, putting miles on to re-calibrate everything and checked its I/M Readiness when I got home (still not ready). I thought, let's double-check the function on all these sensors.

Plugging in the scanner and getting into its Live Data section I saw that sure enough, the voltage reading on Bank 1, Sensor 2 was "N/A". I turned off the vehicle, crawled underneath, disconnected that one plug, blew some air into both ends, and reconnected until it clicked home.

I started the Jeep back up, went back to Live Data, and now there was voltage reading for all four sensors. Success.

When I did the senor swap last weekend I know that I heard every connector click when I installed them. That's why I felt like everything was good to go.

If I hadn't double-checked with my scan tool tonight I doubt the system would ever re-calibrate. Maybe it would have, but it wouldn't have been optimal. Thinking about it, it might have even caused pre-cat damage which I had hoped to avoid by replacing the sensors.

So, if you don't have access to a scanner but you do your own work, get one for yourself; if you can't get yourself a scanner, have ready access to one.

At a minimum you'll get some peace of mind knowing the things you replace are actually working as intended.

200.gif

I recently replaced all of my O2 sensors (Thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/check-engine-light-flashed-while-driving-recommendations.67087/) and felt like that had been successful. No new CELs, no rough idle, and no hesitation.

However, at the time I didn't really watch any live data on the scanner to actually check that everything was working as it should.

I drove the Jeep to work today, putting miles on to re-calibrate everything and checked its I/M Readiness when I got home (still not ready). I thought, let's double-check the function on all these sensors.

Plugging in the scanner and getting into its Live Data section I saw that sure enough, the voltage reading on Bank 1, Sensor 2 was "N/A". I turned off the vehicle, crawled underneath, disconnected that one plug, blew some air into both ends, and reconnected until it clicked home.

I started the Jeep back up, went back to Live Data, and now there was voltage reading for all four sensors. Success.

When I did the senor swap last weekend I know that I heard every connector click when I installed them. That's why I felt like everything was good to go.

If I hadn't double-checked with my scan tool tonight I doubt the system would ever re-calibrate. Maybe it would have, but it wouldn't have been optimal. Thinking about it, it might have even caused pre-cat damage which I had hoped to avoid by replacing the sensors.

So, if you don't have access to a scanner but you do your own work, get one for yourself; if you can't get yourself a scanner, have ready access to one.

At a minimum you'll get some peace of mind knowing the things you replace are actually working as intended.

I know we have several other threads on the choice of scanners, but which one do you use?

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Reactions: SSTJ