Thanks Uncle Fred

intheSFValley

Supporting Member
Hey everybody,

I've been looking for my first jeep for about three months now, but prices are pretty crazy in the Los Angeles area, and I couldn't find the right one. I finally found one I liked, and was going to meet the seller this Monday.

But over Thanksgiving, I mentioned my plan to my uncle. He said, "Why don't you buy my Jeep, I'm not driving it anymore?" So the next day, I brought home this. A lightly used, stock 1997 Wrangler SE with only 120k miles, 4 cylinder and a manual; which is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

The downside? It had been sitting for about a year in the forest, and mice and squirrels had made it their home. The carpets were filled with droppings, chewed acorns, but happily no dead rodents.

And you know how on those Roadkill shows where they get old junkyard finds and complain about the cleanup? Well, I'll never again look at those scenes without shuddering. I had to toss the carpets and pull the dash out, but I will say that Jeeps are the easiest vehicles to clean I've ever had.

One new battery later, it fired right up and drove it for 2 hours on the freeway. One gross day or cleanup later, here it is. Another Jeep rescued and back on the road!

IMG_20181124_122550177_HDR~3.jpg_LI.jpg

Very cool story to go with a very cool little rig. Welcome to the group. Sounds like Uncle Fred really came through for ya! I've dealt with my fair share of "field finds", and it's almost always entertaining. Rodents and the mess and destruction they leave behind are almost always a given. Be grateful you didn't have to deal with hornets in the heater ducts. Now that's an experience...

So, what plans do you have for it?

Okay, so this is a cool story, but I'm left wondering... what did you pay for it?

With all the work it sounds like you've had to put in, I hope you didn't pay a lot! ;)

It’s an underrated Jeep!!!! I have a ‘97 5 spd 2.5L and she’s a tank!! I do have 4.10 gears. I think it was stock. 33s work alright. A bit on the tall side for the 2.5, but I’ve never had an issue in the woods, or on the road. Highway sucks, but manageable lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

Its going to be a truck camping rig, which means mostly stock and reliable. I'm keeping the tires at 30", as it's mostly dirt roads, cruising the deserts of California and easy trails. I'll try and post some picture of the platform I'm going to build as I do it.

The great thing when you get a Jeep like that is
1. You know its history
2. Anything you do to it will be an improvement lol

Welcome to the forum...its funny that the SE Wrangler is sometimes called the Jeep with 4 angry squirrels under the hood....and you had them 'literally' !!!!

Cool story! What a great find. It’s amazing how far a little elbow grease goes. That would be a dream find for me

Reactions: Kiwi TJ