That Could Make a Lot of Pie

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
At the Alaska State Fair pumpkin weigh-off Monday, giant pumpkin legend and defending champion Dale Marshall of Anchorage broke the state record with a 2,147 pound giant pumpkin.

1661860690847.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
I've had the opportunity to attend that fair. It's incredible how nearly 24 hours of sunlight can grow huge vegetables.

These gorgeous gourds will compete for the heavy weight title at 2 pm today in the 16th annual Alaska’s Midnight Sun Great Pumpkin Weigh-off in the Craig Taylor Equipment Farm Exhibits Building at the Alaska State Fair.
1f967.png
1f383.png
1f3a1.png

1661861116418.png

I've had the opportunity to attend that fair. It's incredible how nearly 24 hours of sunlight can grow huge vegetables.

Yep it really is. And the rich soil in the Matanuska valley helps too. Some of the carrots I've seen were huge too. It's fun to see all the stuff.

IMO, the AK State Fair is the best of any that I've attended. Excellent food, great arts & crafts, and side-show freak veggies- what's not to enjoy?

Reading that back, I sound like a 65+ yr old lady.

IMO, the AK State Fair is the best of any that I've attended. Excellent food, great arts & crafts, and side-show freak veggies- what's not to enjoy?

Reading that back, I sound like a 65+ yr old lady.

The thing I noticed is that people genuinely wanted to be there. I watched a kids show where they had a guy dressed as Jack Sparrow and it looked like the kids had never seen a live show before, they were so excited.

Oh an the booth that sells shirts making fun of how small Texas is was worth the stop too.

Reactions: Sea Cot
The thing I noticed is that people genuinely wanted to be there. I watched a kids show where they had a guy dressed as Jack Sparrow and it looked like the kids had never seen a live show before, they were so excited.

Oh an the booth that sells shirts making fun of how small Texas is was worth the stop too.

I'd guess it's like many smaller county fairs? The one here in Ellensburg is like that in a lot of ways. But we also have the big rodeo too.
When I was stationed in AK I use to help out at the local rodeos. Was a lot of fun because it was local guys and isn't like a lot of the larger ones.