The “Help Me Build My TJ Thread”

Marlon1977

Hey guys, first post here and I guess I should start it off with a build thread. I’ve had it about a month now, and its the first Jeep I have owned. My wife and I rented a Jeep a year ago in Ouray and we were hooked, so I started looking for one and finally found one I wanted.

I think I got a great deal on the thing. 1998 Sport with factory 3.73, 32RH with 110,000 miles. The previous owner had run it hot and burned up the motor, so the shop put in a new long block, new water pump, radiator, hoses, everything. Runs like a top and I paid $6,000 out the door. It’s a Texas Jeep, so no rust on the frame or body to speak of.

My goal with this Jeep is to eventually run 35s and be able to take long road trips all over the US while hitting some nice trails and doing some camping along the way. I’m hoping you guys can help me figure out what has been done to it already, and help me decide what I need to do to make it right. I hate doing anything twice and I hate to waste money, so I want to do it all right the first time so I don’t have to redo it later.

I know I have 3 1/4 lift in the back and 2 1/2 in the front, from Rough Country I’m assuming since it has a sticker on the back and had Rough Country shocks and steering stabilizer.

So far, I have:
Put on Rancho RS5000X Shocks.
Replaced all 8 control arms with factory arms.
Front end alignment.
Removed drop track bar bracket and added Metalcloak track bar.
Removed drop pitman arm and replaced with factory arm.
Replaced steering with Crown HD steering kit.
New Soft top.
Bestop seat covers.
Added 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer ST Max tires.
Bestop Mirrors
TRE 3/8 synthetic winch rope.
BedRug front carpet set.

That’s all I can think of. We are going on a little trip to Colorado in 4 weeks, so help me think of things that may need to be done or checked out before we take off. Next big project I think is going to be upgrading the Dana 35 in the back and then the Dana 30 in the front and adding selectable lockers.

When she was new (to me)
B03CECC7-4E49-4530-8846-D2925DCAF00F.jpeg

After some cleaning up....

06AA72A2-C191-4CEC-ACBD-39BFC9BE6F51.jpeg

And, after all the work and flexing out the suspension.

EE8D24B4-E834-49FC-8A03-7464690DA795.jpeg

43CB5B72-8303-4F36-A063-F24A1846CBDB.jpeg

Well that's an interesting pinstripe ;)

Looks like you're definitely on the right path. Removing the dropped pitman arm and track bar bracket tells me you've either been lurking or doing your research (or both).

I would beef up the Dana 30 and add a Super 35 kit to the Dana 35 at some point. That will allow you to run up to 35 inch tires without any issues.

Before you go to Colorado, I'd probably make sure the cooling system is up the the task first.

If you still have the factory cooling system with 110k miles on a 21 year old vehicle, I can assure you it's overdue for maintenance. I only bring this up (and always do) because as we approach the warm season, one of the number one causes for breakdowns on vehicles is cooling system failures.

It may be worth checking out this thread: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

BTW, I actually really like that color. Some people don't, but I think it looks great on a TJ!

Reactions: Marlon1977
Thanks for the tips! I have been lurking... and researching.... Lots of good info on this site with some great guys.

As far as cooling goes, new radiator water pump and hoses. Not sure about the heater core. So far no cooling issues, even on the beach trip we took going super slow. I’ve put about 2K miles on it since I bought it and no issues with temp, radiator is full and coolant is that perfect green color.

Right now, the plan is to do a Super 35 kit and upgrade carrier and axles on the front Dana 30. But it may be a while since I’ve been told I’ve almost out of Jeep funding for the time being lol.

Also on the near future list is SYE, get rid of the skip plate drop thats on it and do a tummy tuck, 1.25 inch body lift and motor mount lift all at the same time.

And before Colorado, probably an Under Cover Fabworks oil pan skid plate.

And I do LOVE the color. It’s seems to be pretty rare and I like to be unique...

Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
Marlon, welcome to the forum and congrats on the first Jeep. Now I bet your hooked

If your going to be taking this on road trips you will definitely want a lower gear ratio before adding 35s I have an 03 with 35s and 4:10 gears. Works for off road, less then desirable for the streets. I would go even lower then me.

Marlon, welcome to the forum and congrats on the first Jeep. Now I bet your hooked

If your going to be taking this on road trips you will definitely want a lower gear ratio before adding 35s I have an 03 with 35s and 4:10 gears. Works for off road, less then desirable for the streets. I would go even lower then me.

So, gear ratios is an interesting thing that that I’ve thought a lot about. Since, I have the 3spd and no overdrive, I don’t think I can really go too low. Since I live in Texas and drive a lot where the speed limit is 75 and everyone is doing 85, I think the choice may be different.

In my very limited Jeep experience, I felt like the 31s that came on the Jeep with the 3.73 were TOO low for high speed highway driving. Going with the 33s now, I feel like its about perfect on the highway at 80. I’ll probably end up with 4.56 when I step up to 35s, but I think I’ll have to do tires and gears all at the same time because I don’t think I want to have 4.56 and 33s.

I do like that blue color. We saw one in Moab and it really pops.

@Jerry Bransford can point you in the correct direction for gearing. (32rh with a goal of 35s)

Once you go buy a SYE you will need adjustable control arms in the rear to adjust the pinion angle. Sounds like you have a fairly solid plan. Can't wait to see the progress.

Ouray has to be one of the most beautiful places this country has to offer! Not sure where you’re planning on going when you return but be sure to check trail reports especially for that area. Lots of snow this year and Lake City (AKA Little Texas) is expecting flooding.

I do like that blue color. We saw one in Moab and it really pops.

@Jerry Bransford can point you in the correct direction for gearing. (32rh with a goal of 35s)

Once you go buy a SYE you will need adjustable control arms in the rear to adjust the pinion angle. Sounds like you have a fairly solid plan. Can't wait to see the progress.

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about the adjustable control arms, so I’ll make sure that on the list of stuff for that little project.

Reactions: Alex01
Ouray has to be one of the most beautiful places this country has to offer! Not sure where you’re planning on going when you return but be sure to check trail reports especially for that area. Lots of snow this year and Lake City (AKA Little Texas) is expecting flooding.

Ouray, along with Glacier National Park in Montana, is one of my favorite and most beautiful places I have ever been. I’ll keep up with the weather for sure, its seems like winter just won’t stop up there. Was planning to go between Silverton and Leadville and back again with as many trails as possible during the week we will be there. Hopefully the weather improves up there in the next 4 weeks!

Hawk vs Jeep...

B6E508B1-6CE6-41F6-889E-065AF430AA06.jpeg

Well, the Jeep ultimately won, but the poor Hawk did its damage. Now I get to get a new windshield. Quoted $300 bucks by a local shop, more than I expected. But I priced out all the stuff to do it myself and came up with $250 including the tools that I need and don’t have. So, looks like I’ll just let the shop do it.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Hawk vs Jeep...

View attachment 99891

Well, the Jeep ultimately won, but the poor Hawk did its damage. Now I get to get a new windshield. Quoted $300 bucks by a local shop, more than I expected. But I priced out all the stuff to do it myself and came up with $250 including the tools that I need and don’t have. So, looks like I’ll just let the shop do it.
Holy cow!

Based on one of the pics you posted, it looks like you already have a 1.25" body lift?

I don’t think so...

The little rubber pucks between the tub and frame are pretty small and look factory. There is some spacers between the frame and skid plate that I don’t think were factory.

The rubber bumpers are missing. They are there so the spare tire doesn't rattle and I would guess fatigue the metal around the carrier.

The rubber bumpers are missing. They are there so the spare tire doesn't rattle and I would guess fatigue the metal around the carrier.

Thank you! That clears up a lot. I’ve been reading things about making sure you “space out the bumpers” and stuff and it made no sense. Now I get it, and I’ve got more parts to add to my list of stuff to get before I head to Colorado.

Reactions: Alex01
So the last few weeks have been pretty busy. Leaving for Colorado in a week and trying to get everything ready to go.

Picked up a 33 for a spare and found out it won’t even fit on the factory tire carrier... After some research, I decided on the Bestop Highrock 4X4 Oversize Tire Carrier. Looks pretty beefy and well constructed and the install went pretty well.

AD410B87-6B33-4C57-A4E6-1F2566BC83DB.jpeg

BDDDD0E7-F94E-4093-984D-F7B3243648ED.jpeg

I’ve been kicking around the idea of upgrading the rear Dana 35 BEFORE I head to Colorado and maybe break something. Checked on carrying a set of used shafts just in case, but best I could find was $100 for a set, and thats just $100 bucks I could spend on upgrades.

Really considered a Ford 8.8 build as well. Found a local shop to build me an 8.8 and install it along with 4.56 gears and Eaton Elockers front and back for $6,200 and I thought that was a pretty good deal. My wife thought otherwise...

I checked with a couple shops around here and none of them would touch a Super 35 kit.

So I was out on the hunt for some front frame sway bar brackets since the PO put some weird aftermarket thing on there and I could not find bushings to fit those brackets. I just happened to stumble across a very good looking disc brake Dana 44 freshly out of an LJ and the guy wanted $1,000 bucks. All of my dreams had just come true, I could upgrade to something I felt comfortable with AND convince the wife it was needed and affordable. It was 3.73 to match the front so I didn’t have to regear it now. It was complete with ebrake cables and the pads/rotors/calipers looked to be in great shape. He even had a set of adjustable upper control arms for $40 bucks. They look like Rough Country and I don’t expect them to be long term, but they look brand new and they should last a while. So I picked that puppy up and brought it home.

I knew that I would need a new drive shaft, and I’ve been wanting to do a SYE and get rid of that dumb TC skid plate drop that was on there, so I figured now was the time. Got it all installed and ordered a Tom Woods drive shaft that is on the UPS truck today.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. After getting it all in, I was cycling the suspension without the springs and the rear track bar was binding up. So I ordered the JKS angled bracket and that should take care of that problm.

D10EB0A1-9A12-405A-BEF6-FD2707630EDF.jpeg

06E5262B-64B4-4DA7-9707-E1C2FCAD93CC.jpeg