The Bargain Box

Got all the u-joints out finally but the joint in the front driveshaft is coming apart. Going to order a rebuild kit before I can put it back together. Killing time and knocking other projects out while I decide what to do with the transmission.
20220605_151655.jpg

20220605_151650.jpg

20220605_151645.jpg

20220605_151702.jpg

I ordered my reman transmission today but it will take 20 days or so to get here. I bought from someone who doesn't require a core so now I'm going to rebuild my transmission comfortably knowing I have a drivable jeep. I'm looking forward to rebuilding it as it's something I feel I can do I just want to take my time.

Hoping you do some sort of write up! I have heard it's real hard requiring specialty tools and alternately heard it's pretty straight forward requiring only a good set of snap ring pliers.

Hoping you do some sort of write up! I have heard it's real hard requiring specialty tools and alternately heard it's pretty straight forward requiring only a good set of snap ring pliers.

Not planning on a full blown write up. Mostly you just need basic tools and snap ring pliers. I will need to recreate a press to do the 4 bearings. I'm using the AX-15 teardown manual. So far nothing seems odd or difficult.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Are there any clearances or backlash or anything like that requiring adjusting, or just take it apart and put it back together with hopefully no left over pieces?

Are there any clearances or backlash or anything like that requiring adjusting, or just take it apart and put it back together with hopefully no left over pieces?

The manual states where tolerances should be checked and there are thrust washers and spacers for those areas. Mostly it's take it apart and put it together though.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
The manual states where tolerances should be checked and there are thrust washers and spacers for those areas. Mostly it's take it apart and put it together though.

Also, to be clear, I've never rebuilt one before. I have decent skill and I always look to learn more. I'm taking this opportunity to challenge myself.