The budget overland build with best junkyard parts, donors and cheap mods DIY thread!

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
It started last year with a budget 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport Manual, 160k with faded paint and a few goods mods already done.

Rule #1 I want to use the best ideals on my overland build and find the cheapest deal to get there.
Rule #2 Buy second-hand parts in excellent condition or rebuildable parts to restore with a little effort.
Rule #3 Try used proven cheap ebay budget ideals and pass them along to the forum group.

Hopefully on my cheap mods threads, maybe a few good ideas are exchanged among the fellow builder here on the forum.

Tip 1# How to save money on insurance!
I live in Los Angeles and owning a second hobby car is very expensive if you have to pay full coverage.
It wouldn't make sense for me to pay $1000 a year for a Jeep TJ I'm really not going driving that much, so I have collectors insurance from Hagarty and there are other companies with collectors insurance so my full coverage and no deductible 100/300 coverage and comes out to $350 a year @ 10k payout. Will increase my payout as the Jeep gets better and more mods. I have no accidents, tickets or points on my record and I'm 50 year old too. That's $650 saving towards my build.
Also I spoke to Hargerty and which model years do you cover for Modern Classic. Collector insurance doesn't always cover just any cars or trucks. A general rule of thumb is any car over 25 year old or older and / or modern classic( like Porsches, Corvettes, lambos, Jeep Wrangler and New high-end car of course.

I was going to buy a 25 year Jeep YJ but Hagerty told me they cover Jeep Wranglers up to 2004 since this car falls under modern classic. I found a great deal for 2002 Jeep sport manual in Las Vegas a week later and I bought a ticket to Las Vegas bought it only from the photos listed mods I saw Craigslist.
Normally I take months doing research but this deal seemed too good to pass up. So she was the right years and had a few good mods done already.
4x LED light bars, LED Halo Ring head-light, Bumper front and Rear Rockhard with tire carrier, badlands 9000 winch with wireless remote/ hard-line, Sony disc player with bluetooth, new speakers, amp, hardtop, 5x 15" aftermarket rims with 31" Hankook dyna Pro ATM lots of thread lift, 4.0l/6 got to have a 6 banger a must, dana44/30, Ham radio, CB radio, Champion Aftermarket Radiator, New Clutch, New AGM deep cycle battery, rough country 3.5 lift, Hard-top, High lift Jack, new timing chain, 5speed manual, clean title no accident and clean carfax.
All this for $5k and plane ticket $70 one way. The Jeep TJ checked off a ton of my mods list before I started. She had a few check engine lights, god awful drivers seat and airbag light.
It begins and mods and spending money like water!

20190512_080857.jpg

20190512_092320.jpg

20190507_191340(1).jpg

20190512_091829.jpg

20190507_191544.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your low budget/do-it-yourself plan with this. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Reactions: Kaptainkid1
Also I spoke to Hargerty and which model years do you cover for Modern Classic. Collector insurance doesn't always cover just any cars or trucks. A general rule of thumb is any car over 25 year old or older and / or modern classic( like Porsches, Corvettes, lambos, Jeep Wrangler and New high-end car of course.

I was going to buy a 25 year Jeep YJ but Hagerty told me they cover Jeep Wranglers up to 2004 since this car falls under modern classic.
I asked my insurance agent about this. She said it may have restrictions, ie; how many miles it's driven every year, whether or not it has comprehensive or just liability? Did you run into any of that?

After a quick once over in Las Vegas with the buyer. I hooked up my obd2 scanner pulled up 1 code it was the throttle body sensor and Airbag light which he didn't mentioned which I requested if any check engine lights were on before I book my ticket.
I was a little upset but it wasn't a deal breaker. I put her in 4wd H and 4wd L and drove her in the parking lot. All the gears ran smoothly as possible at 160k. Pop open the hood checked for oil leaks and engine oil and fluids all topped off and closed the deal.
I look back and I thought what a stupid move. Meeting a stranger to buy a car in cash. I took very little precaution such as:
1. Spoke with person on phone and asked text copies a picture of his drivers lic and copy of the pink slip with a clean title in his name and ton of pictures of the Jeep. Frame, seats, engine bay, hardtop etc.
2. Always pull a carfax report when buying any car. To make sure it has a clean title and any history on the vehicle. That came up all clean and clear.
3. Nothing looked fishy like he owned the Jeep for 9 years and he was selling it to move on to a Harley.
Packed up the Jeep got paper work already, insurance good and full tank of gas and now a trip to Mojave desert to do a trail 100 miles trail and camp over night. I brought a sleeping bag and tools just in case something happened. Stopped off at a supermarket and bought a cooler full water food for the night.
1st lesson I learned was fill up before heading to the Mojave Desert or any off roading trip. Once I crossed the Nevada broader it's just 50 miles to the exit. I figured I had a 8/10 tank full dont need to fill. I got to my exit and no gas station fuck! Got to the beginning of the trail and was 3/4 full. I was still good. Its complete darkness but I had a huge smile with 1000 watts of LED lights for the middle of night off-road trail. Right away I noticed how loud this rig is and it was defeating after an 1 hour of driving at highway speeds. Omg this was alarming annoying! I was used to a Pathfinder 4x4 LE leather seats with complete quiet in the SUV. 265hp and 4 doors.
This was my second Jeep I had a Jeep CJ-7 for 3 months 30 years ago and it broke then I sold it.
So after airing down because the wash board we're wrecking the Jeep suspension and rattling all the plastic dash board and shaking the hard top like mad. I had to slow down and crawled at 20 mph. I've done this road doing 50 mph with my Pathfinder and I guess here are the difference between SUV and Jeep. A live axle vs independent front end on the Nissan. Night and day between the two.
So I drive 20 miles in and found a campsite and set up my tent and went to bed.
Woke up the next morning and gave the Jeep a better look over in the light.

20190512_080828.jpg

Popped the hood and noticed my over flow was bone dry and empty. Man how stupid I didn't notice that last night. So only water I have is bottle water and I'll change the fluid once I get home and do a flush. Water gones down and on the ground! What is the problem here? The over flow had a huge hole. Hidden secret #1 ok I knew I will find problems with used Jeep and thank god I found it before it over heated. So I checked the radiator and it looked new as documented and it was full thank god. So I made a hole on top in one of the water bottles and made it a temporary overflow until I got home. Problem 1 solved looked at the oil pan and it looks like a rear main seal leak. Which I knew before buying the Jeep. Still a full dipstick of oil so no lost at the 100 mile drive last night. All the gauges we're working and that's a good sign too.
I looked over the map and I had 100-120 miles of off roading to get out but only 1/2 tank gas left. So I knew that was going to call it very close and possibly run out of gas on the trail. Dam it! Stupid gas guzzler! Playing safe and boring I drove out the way I came and heading to closet gas station 70 miles away. It made it home no problem but cost me an awesome dirt road trail because I didn't fill up and make arrangements for my gas consumption.

Last edited:
I asked my insurance agent about this. She said it may have restrictions, ie; how many miles it's driven every year, whether or not it has comprehensive or just liability? Did you run into any of that?
I have full coverage with Hagerty and I wouldn't speak with my daily Driver Insurance state farm about my collector car insurance.
Here are the major rule for getting cheap collector insurance:
1. Must have a daily driver not at Hagerty
I drive a Prius with full coverage with State Farm.
2. You should have a good driving record. 1or 2 tickets are not a deal breaker but DUI might be.
3. You should have a garage or closed area like a backyard with a fence.
4. You pay according to the miles and estimate of your car values. I drive very little on the second vehicle. ( I told them I would do 2-3k per year and my value for coverage is 10k. Even though I bought it for 5k, I felt to replace her it would cost me 10k.) So they charge accordingly. Also area is major consideration since I live bad neighborhood with high accident and theft rates my insurance is more expensive.
4. My coverage is full coverage collision, non-insurance motorist, roadside coverage, ZERO deductible!!!, 100/300 and liability.
If you fit these requirements just call Hagarty directly.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/C...-VF4Aw6YoFvCF0qcsFI7RzmS6YlyPjyhoCn-UQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Can you explain the 100/300 ?

For example, 100/300/50 coverage means that you have coverage of $100,000 bodily injury liability insurance per person, $300,000 total bodily injury liability insurance per accident, and $50,000 property damage liability per accident.

I have full coverage with Hagerty and I wouldn't speak with my daily Driver Insurance state farm about my collector car insurance.
Here are the major rule for getting cheap collector insurance:
1. Must have a daily driver not at Hagerty
I drive a Prius with full coverage with State Farm.
2. You should have a good driving record. 1or 2 tickets are not a deal breaker but DUI might be.
3. You should have a garage or closed area like a backyard with a fence.
4. You pay according to the miles and estimate of your car values. I drive very little on the second vehicle. ( I told them I would do 2-3k per year and my value for coverage is 10k. Even though I bought it for 5k, I felt to replace her it would cost me 10k.) So they charge accordingly. Also area is major consideration since I live bad neighborhood with high accident and theft rates my insurance is more expensive.
4. My coverage is full coverage collision, non-insurance motorist, roadside coverage, ZERO deductible!!!, 100/300 and liability.
If you fit these requirements just call Hagarty directly.
Interesting. They said I don't qualify.

My DD is a Chevy Avalanche. No tickets. I have a 3 car garage.

But the site only asks about the address & whether or not your parking in a garage. Never even got as far as the other two.
Call them on the phone. 877 922 9701
Jeep need to 2004 and older.
I bet a beer you will get a good cheap quote as long you fall under there rules. Maybe Hagerty doesn't operate in Washington state.

Last edited:
Fixing check engine light, no 4wd light when gear and airbag light:
So the code came back as P0123 which is the TPS sensor on the throttle body which is $45 mopar part. Many other forum threads mentioned only buy the Factory OEM Part.
20190516_162400.jpg

20190516_162314.jpg

2nd problem no 4wd light problem was sensor switch on the transfer case. Quick fix and $30 mopar part.

20190717_153442.jpg

The 3rd problem was the darn airbag light staying on when driving was annoying. Checked the Airbag ABS module located in the center console was connected. So it turns out to be a dead light bulb. Not an easy fix will need to solder a little 12volt bulb to a motherboard. Located by the passenger key switch.
20200208_104921.jpg
20200208_104850.jpg
20200208_104944.jpg

Fixed all the light now and going to zero out all the fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal and mushdogs