The Capt'n 2003 Jeep Wrangler “Freedom Edition”

I agree, its fully functional, but i sure have a strong aversion for rust holes in jeep metal....

i didn't see any holes? I saw a couple places that some of the material had flaked off, but clean it up, treat it properly and that skid will be fine.

All that said, the barnes is a nice upgrade because it much more likely to slide over stuff, but if you're not wheeling the jeep, there really isn't any reason to replace it.

Reactions: Capt'n
How many miles are on your Freedom edition? And attach a photo!

IMG_9689.jpeg

Ours was a California car, so not much rust on it. Wife bought it about 10-12 years ago (before me).

I gutted the interior a couple years ago and upgraded the stereo, carpet, & seats, along w/ adding the lift and new wheels/tires.
Sold the hard top and added the Supertop.

I’ve replaced the radiator twice & water pump once, as well as rotors & drums.
The RMS leaks and it drives me nuts, but there’s zero chance that I can reuse the original exhaust if I pull it apart, and that added expense, along with the likelihood that I won’t actually FIX the leak, prevents me from tackling it.
I bought a drip tray & some cat litter instead.

The Kitty Litter Comment got me! Ha! Replaced the radiator 2X... now that just isn't right. Good run of Bad luck there.... Im not holding my breath on the RMS success but I'm a glutton for punishment, so ill give it a couple whirls.... Dropping my exhaust system certainly has brought up replacement thoughts but I agree that...Dang, its a big expense....

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Continue to check off things on the Capt’ns Winter Project list. I Installed a new Rear Main Seal, a new oil pan gasket, and new oil pan this week.

IMG_5662.jpeg

IMG_5755.jpeg

Also primed and painted the original upper exhaust system and adding a new muffler.
IMG_5724.jpeg

IMG_5729.jpeg

Continuing to scrub clean and spot sand any rust underneath the tub while the exhaust system and drivelines are out
IMG_5728.jpeg

Sanded and spot treated any rust spots and then gave the Capt'n a few coats of primer, base and clear coat along with a Rust Bullet & Black Satin Top Coat on the frame.

image2 (5).jpeg

image0 (9).jpeg

Installed brand new OEM style Tom Wood's front and rear driveshafts and and new OEM style skid plate.

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

image2 (4).jpeg

Last edited:
Continue to check off things on the Capt’ns Winter Project list. I Installed a new Rear Main Seal, a new oil pan gasket, and new oil pan this week.

View attachment 472550

View attachment 472551

Also primed and painted the original upper exhaust system and adding a new muffler.
View attachment 472552

View attachment 472554

Continuing to scrub clean and spot sand any rust underneath the tub while the exhaust system and drivelines are out
View attachment 472558

Nice work 👍

there’s zero chance that I can reuse the original exhaust if I pull it apart
why do you say that? Is it rotten now from being in the rust belt?

My 97 and 98's exhausts have been on and off a few times and i currently have a 2005 rubicon post cat exhaust section grafted in.

A vband clamp installed on the exhaust near the starter makes dropping the oil pan a lot easier.

why do you say that? Is it rotten now from being in the rust belt?

My 97 and 98's exhausts have been on and off a few times and i currently have a 2005 rubicon post cat exhaust section grafted in.

A vband clamp installed on the exhaust near the starter makes dropping the oil pan a lot easier.

No rust belt (we are in SoCal), but 20 years & 175,000 miles hasn’t been kind to the original exhaust system.

Reactions: Wildman