Starting with the Basics.
  • Replaced Thermostat
  • Coolant Flush n Refresh
  • Transfer Case Fluid Change
  • 5 sp Manual Transmission fluid Change

Happy Jeep. Happy Man.

0EED2050-5005-4525-8EAA-FA57A7E255AB.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Thanks for the comments. The floor pan has small pin holes scattered throughout the passenger side in addition to a couple quarter sized holes. I will swap out the entire pan so that it'll be solid for the next decade. Im not a welder so i have been researching the use of 3M panel bond as a potential installation method. My replacement pan arrives later thus week so patiently waiting. Cheers.
Something that just occurred to me; is the 3M panel bond rated for high temperatures? That area, around the transmission hump especially, gets very warm/hot. Jeep even put warning labels on it that said, "don't remove the carpet because it protects you from the high temps" (paraphrasing, of course).

Reactions: Capt'n
Something that just occurred to me; is the 3M panel bond rated for high temperatures? That area, around the transmission hump especially, gets very warm/hot. Jeep even put warning labels on it that said, "don't remove the carpet because it protects you from the high temps" (paraphrasing, of course).
Excellent question! Heres the 3M product brochure info...
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ structural two-part epoxy adhesives are strong, durable, perform well at high temperatures and resist chemical degradation, making them ideal for industrial applications. These high-strength adhesives can offer excellent impact resistance and enable product design for industries like aerospace, construction and transportation.

Im going to assume that the adhesive is more heat resistant than the carpet I lay over it or the rubber tranny boot in that region. i could be wrong but in that case ill post a photo of my TJ melt down. Ha!

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Nothing like a transfusion or two to make a TJ feel young again! Funny, I never realized Royal Purple's MTL was literally purple :devilish:

EDIT: What did you use for a fluid pump and how well did it work?
This was my first time transfusion operation. Bought the pump for $11.00 @ autozone. Worked really well. I give the pumping process an A+ regarding ease of procedure. And i could tell immediately that The Capt'n shifted smoother!

Excellent question! Heres the 3M product brochure info...
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ structural two-part epoxy adhesives are strong, durable, perform well at high temperatures and resist chemical degradation, making them ideal for industrial applications. These high-strength adhesives can offer excellent impact resistance and enable product design for industries like aerospace, construction and transportation.

Im going to assume that the adhesive is more heat resistant than the carpet I lay over it or the rubber tranny boot in that region. i could be wrong but in that case ill post a photo of my TJ melt down. Ha!
Sounds reasonable. Looking forward to NOT seeing the meltdown pics (y)

Its Raining out today
I have used the 303 protectant as well, it's amazing stuff. I even used it on my soft top, it worked great, it made the top look brand spanking new. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Edit: Here we go, ahh..summer time. This is a 5 year old soft top and that point in time.
View attachment 83144
Was looking at your jeep and was wondering if youve put a lift on it? I like the look. What size tire do you have on?

Its Raining out today

Was looking at your jeep and was wondering if youve put a lift on it? I like the look. What size tire do you have on?
No lift, although I have put a set of Rancho 5k shocks and H&R springs on. The OEM shocks and springs were sagging, once I put the new ones on, it gave me an inch of lift & leveled the Jeep nicely. I am running 31x10.50 BFG KO2's

Looks like you are using an acid-based rust remover. Be sure to neutralize it VERY well or it will and up doing more damage than good.

I would go ahead and completely remove the cushions so you can flood-rinse the metal parts (and paint them) without fear of messing them up or getting chemical soaked into them.

Keep up the good work. Your TJ will love you more each day ;)

No lift, although I have put a set of Rancho 5k shocks and H&R springs on. The OEM shocks and springs were sagging, once I put the new ones on, it gave me an inch of lift & leveled the Jeep nicely. I am running 31x10.50 BFG KO2's
That was what i was hoping youd tell me. Looks terrific. I just ordered the Ranchos rs5000x but am still looking for springs. Could you share the info on your shocks. Model for front n rear. Besides height, how do they ride in comparison to stock on the road and cruising along a bumpy washboard dirt road? I was thinking of going with the moog 3226/3227 springs but would like to hear about your choice. Thanks.

Looks like you are using an acid-based rust remover. Be sure to neutralize it VERY well or it will and up doing more damage than good.

I would go ahead and completely remove the cushions so you can flood-rinse the metal parts (and paint them) without fear of messing them up or getting chemical soaked into them.

Keep up the good work. Your TJ will love you more each day ;)
Youre right on the acid wash. I will take your advice and give it a good wash down prior to priming. Keep those good tips flowing.

Today I started on repairing the passenger floor pan. I cut and removed the rusted, thin areas and then trimmed the replacement floor pan to a cover the hole and overlap on top of the remaining original floor pan. Next week I will adhere it down, when my 3M Impact Resistant Panel Adhesive arrives. Happy to have to be making progress.
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
1553806056537_image1.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Put the new replacement floor pan in. After cutting out the thin and rusted areas, and grinding adhesion point to bare metal, I applied 3M high impact panel adhesive to both floor and new pan and put pan in place. I Weighted it down for 24 hrs. The resulting adhesion is strong and I’m pleased with the initial results. I will be cleaning up the seam areas a bit, applying a seam sealant that will improve the seal and cosmetic appearance and then I will treat the metal with a rust inhibiting paint and top coat with original factory red color.
E43BB25C-A7C3-4A8E-953D-9BDE16024082.jpeg
1177983C-78EC-4FD5-AEFC-1A40100C9E3C.jpeg
4D7A603F-D3BB-4070-A920-8A3E06CC5C9B.jpeg
FB6C6BC5-25BB-4404-8D04-7BE76EFE2306.jpeg

Put the new replacement floor pan in. After cutting out the thin and rusted areas, and grinding adhesion point to bare metal, I applied 3M high impact panel adhesive to both floor and new pan and put pan in place. I Weighted it down for 24 hrs. The resulting adhesion is strong and I’m pleased with the initial results. I will be cleaning up the seam areas a bit, applying a seam sealant that will improve the seal and cosmetic appearance and then I will treat the metal with a rust inhibiting paint and top coat with original factory red color. View attachment 86806View attachment 86807View attachment 86809View attachment 86810
Is this adhesion paste/glue the correct way to bond two pieces of metal that act as the floor of the tub? Or is welding the proper way to bond two pieces of metal together for a floor pan? Im confused. Is this a new process?