The client is not always right (FJ Landcruiser related)

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
https://coolmaterial.com/rides/fj-company-1964-land-cruiser-fj45lv-surf-wagon/

FJ company usually does really, really amazing fully modernized restorations without messing up the classic form of the FJ4x Landcruisers. I love what they do, but this one is just simply wrong. The customer wanted a "Surf Wagon" and the answer should have been "Sir, the FJ4x is not what you are looking for" but alas, money speaks and speaks loudly I suppose.

I know that the FJ45LV was an actual model, but somehow the proportions look wrong to me. Note that these long wheelbase models were sold only between 1963-1967 in very limited numbers and the body was actually built by a different company under Toyota's supervision.

I wonder if this is how the JKUs also got started.
@Chris @Squatch what do you guys say?

FJ-Company-1964-Land-Cruiser-Surf-Wagon-3.jpg

FJ-Company-1964-Land-Cruiser-Surf-Wagon.jpg

That said, I would still drive this over a JKU any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
I'm actually A-Okay with that one. Yes, it's a little wonky looking, as there's probably a good 8-12" more overhang at the back than I think it needs, and the rear wheel well openings are a tad small (could be taller, or bigger, overall). But in general, I'm okay with this one. ;)

Nope... not a fan at all. I’m going to have to say that adding on that extra length ruined the classic look IMHO.

@Chris @Squatch don't get me wrong, the company did nothing wrong other than to restore one to whatever specs the client wanted. Below is how it looked before they did their magic.

Without the overhang (which btw gives it a mini school bus look), it's scarily like a JKU, don't you think? It makes me wonder if this was an inspiration when JKUs were in the design phase.

image_55f0acfc8e947_01.jpg

Reactions: Chris
@Chris @Squatch don't get me wrong, the company did nothing wrong other than to restore one to whatever specs the client wanted. Below is how it looked before they did their magic.

Without the overhang (which btw gives it a mini school bus look), it's scarily like a JKU, don't you think? It makes me wonder if this was an inspiration when JKUs were in the design phase.

View attachment 58631

Could have been, but I think with the JKU they were just trying to add on another 4 doors so that they could make the Wrangler more accessible to a much broader audience (and it worked!).

I don’t like the look of that long FJ really. I like the shorter wheelbase ones.

Damn. I actually like it better before it was restored (though I suspect that was an in-process stage for someone, before they decided to take it to the professionals). Good call on the "mini school bus" look. That description works. I still like it, but now I know that I wouldn't give Chris a ride in it! ;) :D

Reactions: psrivats
I kinda like it actually.

Though with restorations, I prefer the look it had when it rolled off the showroom floor. Nothing kills me more than seeing classics on craigslist that look amazing, then the interior shows an aftermarket cd player, or bucket seats from another make/model.

Looks like you'd pop a wheelie if you put something very heavy in the back, lol.

Maybe this is my naivete as someone who's never been a surfer or lived on the coast, but couldn't you just use a regular FJ and strab the boards to the roof?

Yeah I really like to F 40 and there are a couple of things that IMO do not help this look. 1 the wheels not centered in the well, but that is because of the leafs. 2 The Seats are pushed well back out of position. and 3 Man that's a lot of ass hanging out there.

Yeah I really like to F 40 and there are a couple of things that IMO do not help this look. 1 the wheels not centered in the well, but that is because of the leafs. 2 The Seats are pushed well back out of position. and 3 Man that's a lot of ass hanging out there.
Downright Kardashian, ain't it? ;)

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited