The Guardian is alive again :)

Tigerman

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello folks,

For those who do not know what happened to me, here is a link to an old thread with the pictures and the story rolled-it-over-today-and-nearly-died-doing-it.

After 10 months, I finally rebuilt the Jeep to its former glory. It is actually much better than it was before. I want to share this experience with you in hopes that it might be interesting to some of you and informational to others.

What happened?!
IMG_20190528_123638.jpg

This happened! How? read it in the linked thread but it is not important any more :)

So... After about 6 months of not doing anything, traveling and just simply working, I finally got around to the idea of getting my hands dirty and doing something with the Jeep. I wasn't sure if it was worth rebuilding. Of course, the easiest thing would be to tell the insurance company, collect the money and get rid of it, but! This Jeep paid for my mistake and saved my life. It deserved a better fate. It deserved to be rebuilt and reborn.

I got my tools together, got a few boxes and bins from Costco and a lot of zip lock bags for screws and parts and a sharpie. First thing that came off was the windshield frame. It was crushed. I simply removed every screw and the seals and threw it away. Continued by removing the doors, the hood, the seats, etc... and a day or so later I ended up with this:
IMG_20191109_120458.jpg

Removed the steering column, disconnected all the wires and removed the dashboard:
IMG_20191111_123713.jpg

A day or so later again... heater core gone, wiring harness removed (I took lots of pictures of what got removed from where and what screw came from where. On top of that, I wrote down things I did not think I would remember and sorted out the parts into bags with tags on them.

IMG_20191111_131444.jpg

Now the engine compartment... Radiator and the condenser removed together with the grill.

IMG_20191112_130727.jpg

Fenders...gone! Wires disconnected, hoses plugged. BTW had to cut the heater core hoses, they simply would not budge. Time to remove the tub from the frame. had to call in the heavy artillery (DAAAAAD, HEEEEELP!) lol.
IMG_20191115_144556.jpg

We used a 2 Ton engine crane to remove the tub. I later learnt that the tub was not actually too heavy and two (I am serious, I have seen it) guys could lift it off. My dad obviously can't and after the accident, I am not allowed because of my back, so engine crane did the heavy lifting (returned the crane later and bought a chain hoist, easier and cheaper).

I think I am going to call it a day for now and hit the sack, got work early morning. You guys let me know if this is interesting and I will continue. I saved all the records of what I bought for how much and from where, i can share that too.

Cheers

Please do share! I haven't seen you around in so long that my thought was that the insurance totaled it, you took the money, and just got something other than a Jeep.

Happy to see this thing is being restored to it's former glory!

Wow! I am so pumped about this! This is fantastic. Talk about recovery! Great job so far!

I would also love to hear the rebuild story! I read your roll-over misadventure as you posted it, what a hell of an experience.Glad to hear you are recovering well. Best of luck with the project.

Reactions: HardSell
Thanks everyone for the great feedback :)

Just to make things clearer... I have already completed the rebuild and it looks, feels and drives awesome!

P.S. I towed the frame on wheels to a shop and we measured and checked everything out. No twists or bends. I also had the axels inspected, no damage there either. That is when I finalized the idea of rebuilding it. More tonight ))))

Thanks everyone for the great feedback :)

Just to make things clearer... I have already completed the rebuild and it looks, feels and drives awesome!

P.S. I towed the frame on wheels to a shop and we measured and checked everything out. No twists or bends. I also had the axels inspected, no damage there either. That is when I finalized the idea of rebuilding it. More tonight ))))
Now you have all of us on hook line and sinker! Holding out pics huh? Guess I’ll have to tune in later :)