Yes.

This is anecdotal, but I’ve never noticed any particular performance drop off with a mag mount 5/8. I’ve used Larson mag mounts on many rigs for many years. I’m sure you can find pros and cons on magnetic vs. mechanical coupling and ground plane surface area if you want to get technical about it. I just don’t think that w 30-60 watts on VHF with relatively nearby repeaters it will make much difference in the real world. I do suggest that the radio is well bonded to ground via a solid DC cable connection and mount. Inadequate grounding is way more problematic than the coupling or surface area issue.

The problem I’ve had with with mag mounts is ... they get
knocked off! I try to mechanically mount everything for that reason and the Larson NMO mag bases I’ve collected are mounted to the shop refrigerator and pulled into service for temporary use in a pinch along with a variety pack of NMO whips - dual band, 1/4 and 5/8. I still manage to snap off whips and always carry a spare. I have a mostly irrational fear of being incommunicado in the woods.
What he said.....
Just don’t go with a thru glass mount. They degrade performance.

Got a TJ last week and would like to get an external antenna for my UV-5R. I'm exploring the idea of getting a license but as of right now I only care to listen. Currently looking at the Teraflex bracket but was hoping you Jeepers could recommend a decent antenna,cable. I'm knowledgeable enough to understand placement and I know there are better places to put an external antenna. I'm going for a function/looks balance. I won't be taking this thing up any mountains and it will spend 99% of it's life on the road.

Here is a picture of my radio and the antenna connection for reference.

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

2cd.jpg

"Diamond" antenna and mag mount. Very low VSWR in this location. Running a Retevis RT-95 in the Jeep, although I do have two Baofeng handhelds. As a matter of fact, I just received the 2nd Baofeng just last nite. This 2nd one is the tri-band version.

If you want to just run the Baofeng as a walkie-talkie and not use a Jeep mounted antenna, Nagoya makes a very good tri-band antenna for it. I have one on my 1st Baofeng, and will be ordering a 2nd one for the new one.

View attachment 285476
"Diamond" antenna and mag mount. Very low VSWR in this location. Running a Retevis RT-95 in the Jeep, although I do have two Baofeng handhelds. As a matter of fact, I just received the 2nd Baofeng just last nite. This 2nd one is the tri-band version.

If you want to just run the Baofeng as a walkie-talkie and not use a Jeep mounted antenna, Nagoya makes a very good tri-band antenna for it. I have one on my 1st Baofeng, and will be ordering a 2nd one for the new one.
Will that antenna work with the tail light mount? That is more or less what I'm going for.

Got a TJ last week and would like to get an external antenna for my UV-5R. I'm exploring the idea of getting a license but as of right now I only care to listen. Currently looking at the Teraflex bracket but was hoping you Jeepers could recommend a decent antenna,cable. I'm knowledgeable enough to understand placement and I know there are better places to put an external antenna. I'm going for a function/looks balance. I won't be taking this thing up any mountains and it will spend 99% of it's life on the road.

If you use the "Google" search on this forum (which works better than the normal search), you'll find several threads about options for mounting this same radio inside the TJ. Some standard mounts, some home-made ones, etc. Enjoy the options!

As for the cable and antenna, you can get some RG-58 cable on Amazon pretty easily. But you'll also want an SMA–UHF adapter, because RG-58 usually comes with UHF connectors, and your Baofeng has an SMA connector.

As for the antenna and its location, a lot of us like the tail-light options. There are cheaper options that Teraflex, still good and sturdy. If you're listening on that Baofeng, you'll want an antenna that can handle dual bands, both the VFH and UHF. An inexpensive option is something like a Comet SBB. More expensive would be something like the Comet 2x4 SR.

I did all this recently, so if it'd be helpful I can pull up my Amazon links. The nice thing is that if you do the wiring and antenna well enough, then if/when you get a proper mobile rig, you can just replace the Baofeng with the new unit, and you'll be all set.

Reactions: Zorba
If you use the "Google" search on this forum (which works better than the normal search), you'll find several threads about options for mounting this same radio inside the TJ. Some standard mounts, some home-made ones, etc. Enjoy the options!

As for the cable and antenna, you can get some RG-58 cable on Amazon pretty easily. But you'll also want an SMA–UHF adapter, because RG-58 usually comes with UHF connectors, and your Baofeng has an SMA connector.

As for the antenna and its location, a lot of us like the tail-light options. There are cheaper options that Teraflex, still good and sturdy. If you're listening on that Baofeng, you'll want an antenna that can handle dual bands, both the VFH and UHF. An inexpensive option is something like a Comet SBB. More expensive would be something like the Comet 2x4 SR.

I did all this recently, so if it'd be helpful I can pull up my Amazon links. The nice thing is that if you do the wiring and antenna well enough, then if/when you get a proper mobile rig, you can just replace the Baofeng with the new unit, and you'll be all set.
The Amazon links would be awesome! Just going to use my Baofeng for now and eventually get a nicer unit. I like the idea of getting the antenna and connections squared away first so all I need to do is swap the handheld out.

The Amazon links would be awesome! Just going to use my Baofeng for now and eventually get a nicer unit. I like the idea of getting the antenna and connections squared away first so all I need to do is swap the handheld out.

Actually, you can see most of what I've done here. Pics and links included.

But I only know enough about this stuff to help you in the early stages. I'm only a few steps ahead of you, and others on this forum know a lot more than I do.

View attachment 285473

View attachment 285474
The Teraflex bracket is a 3/8 x 24 antenna base. The best options for ARS antennas are NMO bases. If you have the wherewithal, you can ream-out the 3/8 hole to 3/4, and then install an NMO base in that. Once the base is in-place, you can select different antenna elements depending on what you’re actually trying to accomplish radio-wise. The Larsen 2/70 element referenced elsewhere is a good ARS dual-band choice. If you’re expecting to xmit on 2M only, then a 5/8 wave VHF monoband element would be a good choice.

My mag-mounts do not stand-up well out in the woods - we’ve got lots of low canopy and the antenna almost invariably gets knocked off. Otherwise, those do work great for highways and roadways.

On the TJ, I have two NMO bases bolted on either side of the windshield, both of which are converted CB antenna (e.g., 3/8 x 24 reamed to 3/4” to accept NMO) bases, and I screw on-off various NMO elements depending on what I’m up to. I carry the elements in the back. Generally, though, I have a hi-band VHF element for fire & rescue (although now seldom used since I retired from that fun stuff) and a Larsen 2/70 NMO on the other side for ARS.

Reactions: Zorba
The Teraflex bracket is a 3/8 x 24 antenna base. The best options for ARS antennas are NMO bases. If you have the wherewithal, you can ream-out the 3/8 hole to 3/4, and then install an NMO base in that. Once the base is in-place, you can select different antenna elements depending on what you’re actually trying to accomplish radio-wise. The Larsen 2/70 element referenced elsewhere is a good ARS dual-band choice. If you’re expecting to xmit on 2M only, then a 5/8 wave VHF monoband element would be a good choice.

My mag-mounts do not stand-up well out in the woods - we’ve got lots of low canopy and the antenna almost invariably gets knocked off. Otherwise, those do work great for highways and roadways.

On the TJ, I have two NMO bases bolted on either side of the windshield, both of which are converted CB antenna (e.g., 3/8 x 24 reamed to 3/4” to accept NMO) bases, and I screw on-off various NMO elements depending on what I’m up to. I carry the elements in the back. Generally, though, I have a hi-band VHF element for fire & rescue (although now seldom used since I retired from that fun stuff) and a Larsen 2/70 NMO on the other side for ARS.

Interesting. For rookies like me, can you explain what you mean by ARS? I just Googled it and am getting an antenna company, but the way you're using the acronym, I think you might be referring to a class/type of antenna, not a particular brand?

For my tail-light antenna mount, I used the Hooke Road CB mount, and instead of drilling the hole any wider like you mentioned, I just used one of these NMO adapters.

Interesting. For rookies like me, can you explain what you mean by ARS? I just Googled it and am getting an antenna company, but the way you're using the acronym, I think you might be referring to a class/type of antenna, not a particular brand?

For my tail-light antenna mount, I used the Hooke Road CB mount, and instead of drilling the hole any wider like you mentioned, I just used one of these NMO adapters.
Sorry - ARS = Amateur Radio Service, my acronym for a FCC service category, not a brand (or an FCC acronym for that matter).

I like to adapt things I already own by drilling holes in them. It saves on shipping.

Sorry - ARS = Amateur Radio Service, my acronym for a FCC service category, not a brand (or an FCC acronym for that matter).

I like to adapt things I already own by drilling holes in them. It saves on shipping.
Aha, so ARS is the FCC's service category for what we call call "Amateur Radio" or "Ham Radio"?

I use GMRS (also use GMRS repeaters when available) Also 2 meters, 440 and HF via a FT-857 which does HF, 2 meters and 440 all in one. I keep antennas for all on board and at least two mounted and ready. No CB, mainly because with the upcoming cycle it will be mess a lot of times. Been licensed across the board since 1976.

I use GMRS (also use GMRS repeaters when available) Also 2 meters, 440 and HF via a FT-857 which does HF, 2 meters and 440 all in one. I keep antennas for all on board and at least two mounted and ready. No CB, mainly because with the upcoming cycle it will be mess a lot of times. Been licensed across the board since 1976.
Welcome to the forum