The Hammers in Johnson Valley—One and Done

Nightmare9

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So my brother and his wife invite us to head out to JV last weekend with some friends. I've been out there on the quads, but never in the Jeep or even the RZR.
We show up Friday night and I already KNOW I'm in the wrong place based on the other 5 vehicles at camp.
IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

We do an evening ride on Friday and I ride in the Red Buggy. It has Fully Hydraulic Steering, 4 Wheel Steering, ORI Struts, and the front tires are FILLED with like 300-400 pounds of water. I could see the "trail" but 80% of the time he just drove up the random pile of rocks on either side. It was a fun ride but did NOT make me feel any better about the next day.

The next day we head over to Claw Hammer, supposed to be the easiest of the Hammers. It looks a lot like a valley filled with 3' boulders. One of the guys is spotting my brother in his JKU and I'm doing my best to follow that line. I get hung up on the rear diff a couple of times, but nothing major. The Billy Rockers and rear bumper catch the jeep a couple of times and I didn't know it at the time, but the Gas Tank Skid was doing its job too. I also drove into a couple of pretty big rocks with the Steering Box Armor.

Here is the Red Buggy doing a "Bonus Line"

They tell me that the Waterfall near the top of the trail was pretty torn up from the KOH a couple of weeks earlier. My brother had some difficulty on that and I think they managed to bend the Tie Rod AGAIN.

Here is me at the top of the Waterfall.

I'm glad I did it, but I think I'm done with the Hammers. On Sunday we just drove around on the trail around the hills and had a MUCH better time. Just cruising and not worried about destroying anything.
IMG_9191.jpg

I cleaned up the Jeep today and assessed the damage.
I hit 3 of the 4 rims. This one is the worst.
Scuffed the Rock Sliders
Scuffed the Front Driveshaft (out of focus)
Bumped the Front Diff
And slid on the Gastank Armor more than once
IMG_9211.jpg
IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

Awesome trip! It can definitely be nerve racking when you do these kind of trails on rigs built like most of us have. That said, you can claim you've been there, done that. FWIW, for many of us East Coasters, this is a dream trip. Someday, I'll make it out there. Someday! :)

Reactions: SvtLdr
That's not "damage", just minor scuffs. You should see my trans skid. I've done worse in the Walmart parking lot. ;)
51AF3D21-6BAD-4425-B7DE-5751211F7E79.jpeg

AA496629-6F10-48F2-A4CC-5B183715D1D8.jpeg

Agree, jealous of that trail damage. This is what the underside of mine looked like after our last trip in January. The grease stain on the front of the engine skid is from the driveshaft yoke. I had to swap in my spare because it failed.

View attachment 241617
View attachment 241618
Agree, jealous of that trail damage. This is what the underside of mine looked like after our last trip in January. The grease stain on the front of the engine skid is from the driveshaft yoke. I had to swap in my spare because it failed.
That's what my undercarriage looks like. I'm always amazed at the clean frames that some post on here and then I think; even if I had that frame, it would look all scraped up by the end of the summer anyway. lol.

That's what my undercarriage looks like. I'm always amazed at the clean frames that some post on here and then I think; even if I had that frame, it would look all scraped up by the end of the summer anyway. lol.
Mines clean from a rust standpoint but looks horrible in these pictures. This was prior to me getting under there and cleaning/fixing things, but about to do it all over again as the weather is warming up. Best mod I ever did was buy and truck and trailer so I don’t feel too bad about bashing it on the trail.

Reactions: SvtLdr
So my brother and his wife invite us to head out to JV last weekend with some friends. I've been out there on the quads, but never in the Jeep or even the RZR.
We show up Friday night and I already KNOW I'm in the wrong place based on the other 5 vehicles at camp.
View attachment 241595
View attachment 241596
View attachment 241597View attachment 241598

We do an evening ride on Friday and I ride in the Red Buggy. It has Fully Hydraulic Steering, 4 Wheel Steering, ORI Struts, and the front tires are FILLED with like 300-400 pounds of water. I could see the "trail" but 80% of the time he just drove up the random pile of rocks on either side. It was a fun ride but did NOT make me feel any better about the next day.

The next day we head over to Claw Hammer, supposed to be the easiest of the Hammers. It looks a lot like a valley filled with 3' boulders. One of the guys is spotting my brother in his JKU and I'm doing my best to follow that line. I get hung up on the rear diff a couple of times, but nothing major. The Billy Rockers and rear bumper catch the jeep a couple of times and I didn't know it at the time, but the Gas Tank Skid was doing its job too. I also drove into a couple of pretty big rocks with the Steering Box Armor.

Here is the Red Buggy doing a "Bonus Line"

They tell me that the Waterfall near the top of the trail was pretty torn up from the KOH a couple of weeks earlier. My brother had some difficulty on that and I think they managed to bend the Tie Rod AGAIN.

Here is me at the top of the Waterfall.

I'm glad I did it, but I think I'm done with the Hammers. On Sunday we just drove around on the trail around the hills and had a MUCH better time. Just cruising and not worried about destroying anything.
View attachment 241601

Scuffed the Rock Sliders
Bumped the Front Diff
And slid on the Gastank Armor more than onceView attachment 241602View attachment 241603
View attachment 241605
View attachment 241606

View attachment 241604
It is good that you figured it out, now you know. It is not a place for everyone. Folks think they want the challenge until they figure out what it costs and that cost is very high.

I go through this vicious cycle of cleaning, sanding/grinding and painting the entire underside, including frame, annually. It's exhausting sometimes, but I won't let myself stop. If you get behind, it's even more work!

6tIx2RI.jpg

dd4fo2z-jpg.jpg

Well done!
Scuffed the Rock Sliders
Bumped the Front Diff
And slid on the Gastank Armor more than once
I have more scuffs and scratches just from playing around local trails. Nothing as big as the Hammers!

Glad you made it out with minimal damage.
Do you still have your Rzr?
We still have the RZR4. We bought it back in 2011 and we have had a lot of fun running around Ocotillo Wells and up in the mountains (Cleghorn and Silverwood). The RZR is just a different class/style of toy. It can run with the Jeeps, but everything seems too slow, plus no AC on the hot days.

It is the same with the Jeep builds. CAN I do one of the harder Hammers? Probably, but my Jeep isn't really built for that, plus she is too pretty to crash into the boulders all day.

I also don't have enough experience / skill to keep track of all the rocks and all my low points. I'd be looking ahead and forget about the big rock in the middle of the path until it caught the rear diff.

After doing a couple of trails in Sedona, I think we prefer that kind of trail. We definitely need to get back over to Utah / Moab with the Jeep again. Our trip home was solo and we had a limited amount of time, so we didn't get to do any of the "good" trails.

I also don't have enough experience / skill to keep track of all the rocks and all my low points. I'd be looking ahead and forget about the big rock in the middle of the path until it caught the rear diff.
The vast majority of the diff hangers are in the middle of the trail or what looks to be the obvious track. If you take the obvious track, you will be on your diffs all day long. If you want to learn how to drive around diff hangers without too much risk, run Aftershock several times. The obvious line isn't and when you take it, you'll be on your diffs.

Also why on trails like Sledge, you aren't driving the obstacle you're on, you're driving the one your on to line up on the next one or you'll be on your diffs. If you don't pay attention to that, you'll get over one spot and then be totally FUBAR for the next one that your front tires are against.

My favorite/I fuckinghateyou is watching even experienced drivers hit their diffs, back up, go back forward and never turn the steering wheel. Alright, you just repeated the exact same line that got you stuck, why did you think that was going to change if you didn't move the steering wheel when you backed up and then came back forward?

My favorite/I fuckinghateyou is watching even experienced drivers hit their diffs, back up, go back forward and never turn the steering wheel. Alright, you just repeated the exact same line that got you stuck, why did you think that was going to change if you didn't move the steering wheel when you backed up and then came back forward?

Insanity!

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ