The Hi-Lift Jack

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I really don't like these things. They aren't stable or safe. However, what do y'all think about them? In a trail situation, I don't think my factory bottle jack would help me out much.

Reactions: Ahow74
On a flat spot, the factory jack will work using it under the axle. I believe Jerry has posted a factory jack lifting either a 35 or a 37 off the ground.

If you're in a rut, buried to the frame and can't get anything under the Jeep, the a Hi-Lift will work great for that, so long as you have bumpers or rails you can lift from.

The last run I was on, a truck broke a front u-joint, and it ended up taking out the lower ball joint. We used a factory jack under the axle, and also used a Hi-Lift to lift the body to give more room to work.

Never trust just a Hi-Lift, they're too unstable.

Ok thank you for that. So you are recommending to only use a hi-lift in a complimentary manner to a real jack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeahracing-ya-0375-7.jpg

Ok thank you for that. So you are recommending to only use a hi-lift in a complimentary manner to a real jack?

I recommend to not use one at all, unless it's the only thing that will work. In the example I gave, it was needed so they could get at the broken parts, and remove the wheel. Physically there wasn't enough room to do the job.

They tried to, as they didn't want to use a Hi-Lift as these are guys that have been wheeling for over 20 years, and have seen enough go wrong while using them.

I recommend to not use one at all, unless it's the only thing that will work. In the example I gave, it was needed so they could get at the broken parts, and remove the wheel. Physically there wasn't enough room to do the job.

They tried to, as they didn't want to use a Hi-Lift as these are guys that have been wheeling for over 20 years, and have seen enough go wrong while using them.

Ohh ok, I gotcha. Ok thank you because I used two farm jacks last weekend to raise my Jeep and screw that. I am never doing that again. I just wanted to see if I was doing it wrong or if they are just unsafe!

Show me one situation that a hi-lift jack can get you out of, that a winch can't.

A winch is what you really want (if you don't already have one). Trust me on that!

After all the stories I've read, I would never trust a Hi-lift.

Reactions: Serbonze and StG58
Show me one situation that a hi-lift jack can get you out of, that a winch can't.

A winch is what you really want (if you don't already have one). Trust me on that!

After all the stories I've read, I would never trust a Hi-lift.

Oh I'd call a tow truck or one of y'all before I tried to use a hi-lift to get me out the mud!!

But ok I will never use a hi-lift jack. :O

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I'm just saying... if you have a winch, I can't think of one situation you'd ever need to use a hi-lift over a winch.

Reactions: StG58
Stuck in ruts, front axle against a stump/rock, no one behind you to pull you back.

I've been there. Tried getting winched and tugged forward, but the old WJ wouldn't move. Used a Hi-Lift on my rock sliders to lift it up, and put pieces of deadfall under a front tire. It brought it up high enough that I could be winched out.

Stuck in ruts, front axle against a stump/rock, no one behind you to pull you back.

I've been there. Tried getting winched and tugged forward, but the old WJ wouldn't move. Used a Hi-Lift on my rock sliders to lift it up, and put pieces of deadfall under a front tire. It brought it up high enough that I could be winched out.

Just don't mount it on your hood like Billy badass jeeper :p

My old buddy and I used our Hi-jacks quite a few times when we were out wheeling in the mud. Sometimes we just needed a little height to get off a log (jack up rocker guard or bumper corners and let the hi jack fall as you go forward) and it made quick work of it. There were times where the hi jack was used with a pair of straps to keep my rear end from sliding off a muddy hill into my buddy's jeep who was stuck. We became experts at getting stuck in mud and really put the winches and jacks to work.

We never used it to jack up the rig in order to work on it though. That was a no-no.

Just don't mount it on your hood like Billy badass jeeper :p

When I still carried one I mounted it on the hood because it was the best place for me to do it. It was secure and quite.
Now however I have a hilift with pristine paint and hood mounting brackets for sale!!!!

Reactions: cliffish
When I still carried one I mounted it on the hood because it was the best place for me to do it. It was secure and quite.
Now however I have a hilift with pristine paint and hood mounting brackets for sale!!!!

Sell it to @mrblaine. Throw in a bumper with shackles hanging from it as well :p

Reactions: Stinger

I wouldn't mind those brackets. Could they be bolted on the factory front bumper facing forward?

Last edited:

I had a similar experience in my old FJ40. fell into some ruts and got hung up on the frame. A ford 150 couldn't move me. A CJ7 with a winch and block couldn't move me. Finally broke out the hi-lift and jacked up the back end to place deadfall under the wheels. After setting I back down I was able to drive right out. raising the back end 18" off the ground was a little hairy but we got it done. Its been the one and only time I used a hi-lift. usually not necessary but boy did it come in handy when I was out of other options.

For what it's worth, the Hi-jack is an excellent post puller. I removed an entire perimeter steel fence with it in a matter of 2 hours. Just the hi jack, chain, and wire cutters made easy work of it. Let it be known that it pulled out the posts+cement. ;)

On the high lift safety issue... Most government departments have removed them because of the workers compensation injury issues. So yeah, unstable and prone to do things unexpectedly.... like driving the handle thru yer jaw.

Reactions: Head Lice and Chris