The Hi-Lift Jack

Had one since the 1980s carried it off road, religiously for 10 years or so; never needed, or used it myself.
It now lives, permanently, in the garage (besides pulling fence posts it is also fairly useful for breaking tire beads loose when manually dismounting tires).
A small hydraulic jack that will work on its side (Not Harbor Freight, they leak) is much more useful, and safer off road (in camp fixing stuff broken off road), IMO.

Enjoy!

Having had one slide out from under an icy hill on an Xj. That was winched to a tree so it wouldn’t slide I still carry a hilift because of the versatility of the, but it gets more use pulling fence posts. They make an ok vice in a pinch too

Reactions: Chris
Hi-Lift/ Farm Jack is a great tool to have/use if you know how to operate it. Its not the end/all be all lift but it does have multiple uses/ been around for ages/ uses a simple design. As long as you have solid lifting points and basic understanding of how to operate then this thing becomes an asset not a liability. Like a winch- if you don't know what you're doing a lot can and usually does goes very wrong. But unlike a winch it has no gears to fail, no dead battery to fail- simple simple design that as long as its not rusted out or caked with years of mud it will function. I'm all for learning new techniques/ tool uses. I'd encourage your local Jeep/ Overlanding Groups to host on class on the safe operation/ multiple uses of the Hi-lift- a highly beneficial class could take less than 2 hours.

Reactions: Reign Mack and ac_
I've used it a few times to break the bead of a tire to replace broken valve stems and clean the bead of mud/dirt causing a leak. It's another option on the trail to get you out. Not exactly my go to, but I do want it with me.

Any thoughts on an exhaust jack (air bag) instead?
A friend of mine has an x jack. We've tried to use it twice. First time on a bit of a hill, after an hour we gave up and used the hi lift. Had the tire changed in a few minutes.

Second time was on a nice flat beach, lifted the jeep, pulled the wheel and axle shaft. The bag shifted a bit and started to roll out from under the axle every time we tried to get more air in to get the height back. Used the hi lift and finished the job in a few minutes.

I'm sure a bag has its uses but so far I'll take the hi lift for saftey, reliability, and speed over an x jack... Now considering how unsafe, unreliable, and finicky a hi lift is what's that tell you.

I've use my hi lift on the trail and in camp more times than I can count. Ive used it to brake tire beads for cleaning. I've used it for repairs. I've used it for a clamp. I've used it as a spreader to bend crushed body work away from moving parts. A friend of mine even made a log splitter attachment that worked great. The handle is also invaluable, it can be used as a cheater bar, a pry bar, and even a sleeve for a bent tie rod.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Squatch and ac_