The Hi-Lift Jack

Not to revive this thread or anything, but I couldn't resist after finding this [emoji23][emoji23]
e56dd507bc38935e3b5379c78ea664cd.jpg

yea I have used the high lift a few times.ive also been to a few events where high lift was one of the big sponser..one was called "the off road sportsman challenge" I won a set of 44 boggers at one of them events "Peterson off road challenge" back inlate 80s or early 90s.(old timers got me on the dates)also had to have a high lift to be in the event.it was used in a few parts of a 2 day completion .what great fun.i used mine 2 times in one weekend in that event. one was after my winch completely quit.pulled my motor anchored to a cypress tree to weld both motor mounts back together so we could keep going.and to get met off a Toyota I ran on top of that was broke down and was stuck in the swamp in the everglades in the south part of florida.we also had to use it at check points in the the challenge.to winch and change a tire at the check points along the trail.its not the safest tool in the box but it will get u to the finish line.a winch is good as long as your junk is still running.

been offroading since the early 80s.still got mine in the jeep. its rusty and was in my first chevy. only used it maybe 5 or 6 times but got me or one of my buddies home a few times.it aint the safest tool .but the winch can kill you even faster.if not used properly.saw a ball hitch go right thru my friends tail gate and out the front window once..

Reactions: dylansalrin
100_6146.jpg
100_6147.jpg
100_6153.jpg
Two years ago I pushed too hard with my plow truck and got stuck. This was the first time I used my High-Lift as a winch. I anchored to the receiver hitch on my Durango and was able to free myself, and saved myself a $50.00 wrecker call.
I now have a 10,000 lb winch on my TJ.

Reactions: Chris
On the High Lift safety issue... Most government departments have removed them because of the Workers Compensation injury issues. So yeah, unstable and prone to do things unexpectedly .... like driving the handle thru yer jaw.

Have used them many times ..... they can be a dangerous device. Have had mine since 1975. They were called 'Jack-All' then.
As Bob mentions ..... they can break human body parts.
Have jacked up the front or rear of my 4x4's and 'driven off' the jack ..... avoid truck damage and drive over the jack, or away from the jack if it's jacked up as high as it will go.

Reactions: StG58
I Jeep alone and usually above tree line where there is often nothing to secure a winch to. While I have never needed it yet- the Hi-lift rides along in case I high center and need to stuff rocks/gravel under a tire. I do wish I had a sling that goes over the tire so I do not have to lift so high with the bumper. I would never crawl under anything sitting on a high lift- that is is for sure. We had an even more dangerous version on the farm called a railroad jack- that thing required a huge amount of respect.

Reactions: Head Lice
Was going to ask about thoughts on the Hi-Lift jacks before I stumbled across this thread. I see my fair share of them on Jeeps running around here. After taking into consideration the input of forum members, I've decided that there's only one reason for me to have one. Being that I'm short (no inseam, to speak of...legs barely reach the ground!), and I have bad knees, but I want a lift on my TJ, I've decided that I could hook the jack to my belt loop and lift my squatty arse up into the rig! :D

I Jeep alone and usually above tree line where there is often nothing to secure a winch to. While I have never needed it yet- the Hi-lift rides along in case I high center and need to stuff rocks/gravel under a tire. I do wish I had a sling that goes over the tire so I do not have to lift so high with the bumper. I would never crawl under anything sitting on a high lift- that is is for sure. We had an even more dangerous version on the farm called a railroad jack- that thing required a huge amount of respect.
Here ya' go. I have one and use it reasonably often. Works great to lift a tire out of a hole so you can fill the hole in.
Lift Mate.jpg

https://hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate/

It works well for it's intended purpose. Make sure your wheels allow you to hook this device into them.

I think they are great cheap insurance for the person that goes off-road on purpose. I mean if you drive on the road, and take logging roads to the coolest fishing holes you probably don't need one, but if you want to go camping where nobody else goes it could be a great accent to even a winch.

I have gotten stuck in ruts before when the winch was starting to roll my Jeep, but the hi lift would lift up the side that was trying to roll under. I mean I could lift the rear tires higher than the ruts, and push the jeep on to the top of the ruts at the same time I was holding the front up with the winch. It is hard to describe here what we were doing and why, but my point is it can be a great accessory to the winch if you are serious about going off-road, but if you go mildly off to play, you probably don't need one. In my opinion

Stuck in ruts, front axle against a stump/rock, no one behind you to pull you back.

I've been there. Tried getting winched and tugged forward, but the old WJ wouldn't move. Used a Hi-Lift on my rock sliders to lift it up, and put pieces of deadfall under a front tire. It brought it up high enough that I could be winched out.
No anchor points for the winch off to the side?