The Holy Grail of LJRs? (this guy seems to think so)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/sun-city-2006-jeep-wrangler-unlimited/6909841040.html
10046C36-6932-46C3-AECD-C4FF4728E46E.jpeg

54141286-7769-4E2E-9849-928802C36CB2.jpeg

I’ve been watching this for awhile. His original price was 42k 😦

Not sure I like the grey seats and tan interior. But 37k? IDK. Alot of aftermarket stuff on it. But I think this guy thinks he can sell it for what he has into it. And we all know that ain't true.

Either that or the lien on the vehicle is digging a hole in his pocket.

Reactions: H_E_H and skrelnik
Not sure I like the grey seats and tan interior. But 37k? IDK. Alot of aftermarket stuff on it. But I think this guy thinks he can sell it for what he has into it. And we all know that ain't true.

Either that or the lien on the vehicle is digging a hole in his pocket.

Agreed...I deleted my other comments as they were too insensitive, but this line from the ad surely tells me he is trying hard to find some sucker too offload this too.

"know that I have over $55,000 in receipts for this Jeep. This includes the price from the original window sticker"

I’ve found that the extra costs of customizing anything, whether it’s a vehicle, firearm or house [not talking about a second bath or bedroom but adding a movie theater, hot tub or pool] is usually money you’ll never see again. It is a nice looking jeep but how does it ride on the road and how does it work on the trail?

Reactions: Starrs
As the owner of a 2006 LJ Rubicon I hope the seller gets every dime he is asking. :devilish:

So true, that is what I hope all the time. What premium would you pay for the LJ Rubicon over the standard LJ, assuming all things being equal, year, mileage, tranny, mods etc.?

Very pretty LJ. IDK, his (her?) asking price does not seem nuts to me. If I were in the market and had that kinda dough, I'd offer him 30k. He'd say no of course, but if he has no buyer in a month, we might be talking again, and it could be bought in the low 30's. Shoot, a stock 06 Rubi in that kind of shape goes for low 20's around here. His mods are all good quality stuff from what I can tell, and there is easily 20k in mods there.

Reactions: skrelnik
Very pretty LJ. IDK, his (her?) asking price does not seem nuts to me. If I were in the market and had that kinda dough, I'd offer him 30k. He'd say no of course, but if he has no buyer in a month, we might be talking again, and it could be bought in the low 30's. Shoot, a stock 06 Rubi in that kind of shape goes for low 20's around here. His mods are all good quality stuff from what I can tell, and there is easily 20k in mods there.

Agreed with what you said, bit there is a smaller buyer's pool for those mods and that price. Part of the fun is doing the modding yourself, so to me, this is for a white collar Wall St guy that wants to show off to his buddies. I'd rather score a $20k LJR and do the mods myself.

Reactions: luk4mud
I would have to rip every single modification off that Jeep besides the winch and maybe wheels to be happy with it. Lot of "just ok" and Teraflex stuff I wouldn't be happy with. Wouldn't survive doing much wheeling. Side note, but the 6" LCG kit is hilarious to me.

In my opinion, this Jeep should be worth less than a stock LJR with 34,000 miles. I'm sure driving around with 4.88's, a 42RLE, and 37's isn't all that fun.

Agreed with what you said, bit there is a smaller buyer's pool for those mods and that price. Part of the fun is doing the modding yourself, so to me, this is for a white collar Wall St guy that wants to show off to his buddies. I'd rather score a $20k LJR and do the mods myself.
Good points. It seems whenever I buy an already modified anything, I end up redoing a good portion of it anyway, either out of necessity or just because. And that one is almost too pretty to use for its designed purpose. I personally cant tell you which dents in mine were caused by me or the PO.

Reactions: skrelnik
Guys crazy. End of story lol. Obviously something in his life has gone wrong and he knows he overpayed for this and wants out now. That bank will be calling...haha

That's why I say he's probably open to a fair offer. That banknote isn't getting any easier to pay every month. And his wife is pissed he used up their kids college fund to customize it. Offer him 22k see what he comes back with.

That's the harsh reality of capitalism. If he balks and sticks to his number. He doesn't want to sell. His wifes just making him.

That's why I say he's probably open to a fair offer. That banknote isn't getting any easier to pay every month. And his wife is pissed he used up their kids college fund to customize it. Offer him 22k see what he comes back with.

That's the harsh reality of capitalism. If he balks and sticks to his number. He doesn't want to sell. His wifes just making him.
A guy who puts a $42k figure in his LJ doesn’t have any sense lol. $22k would just irritate him. This guy is off his meds.

Agreed.

However I'd hate to see the Jeep market become like the VW bus market. You can't touch a previously $5000 bus without $40000+ at least on hand. And that's for a rust bucket. Bus' now go for upwards of 60k or more in good shape. USed they were $2500 not that long ago. OK. Maybe a while ago. I could have bought a full camper bus for $2500 in the 90's. That same bus is worth 60k today. Which means the only collectors will be rich guys that don't even drive them. Or the few guys that bought before the bubble. And keep them maintained. Entry to new blood is highly restricted. So few guys are buying them. Or fixing them up. As the cost is prohibitive. And who wants to daily drive a $50000 vehicle? They're all becoming garage queens.

If Jeeps get anymore expensive the number of guys that can afford them is going to dwindle. And the similarity between Jeeps and VW busses being easy to work on. Is going to die. We'll be left with only modern vehicles with 50000 moving parts engineered to go bad. And only a dealer tech can dig that deep into them to fix anything. Someday a Pinto will be a collectors item. Simply because it has a carb and is easy to work on yourself. I really value the economics of a vehicle you can repair yourself. Otherwise who can afford to take their modern vehicle to the dealership every other month?

I could see paying 25K for that Jeep if it were stock. But anything customized (unless it's AEV or something) is going to be worth less to me. ARe the collection of parts correct? Were they put in correctly? Is the end result a Jeep you want to drive on and off road?

I looked across many states on CL last night for LJ's and LJR's. His price is pretty out to lunch. You can still find some nice LJ's and LJR's for 20k give or take. Even less if your willing to accept an LJ and put in some elbow grease. Alot of them are just cosmetic seconds as they've been left out in the weather to long. So you either pay 13k and spend the other 7k on restoration. Or spend 20k and get something with low miles that's been garaged. I think I'd save up for the latter. If I had the time. And LJR is a bit more though. I'd say in the 25k give or take range.

A guy who puts a $42k figure in his LJ doesn’t have any sense lol. $22k would just irritate him. This guy is off his meds.

You could be very right. But who knows what situation the guys in until you negotiate with him. He could be desperate to sell it for the full loan amount. But as time wears on. He becomes more and more willing to accept a lower price and making some payments left on the loan.

But I agree. He does look like one of those guys that puts 60k into a car and then thinks he can sell it for 60k. I've got a guy in my neighborhood that spent 75k on a custom trike. And he's been trying to sell that out of date POS for 75k ever since. I think he took a second mortgage back in the 2000's and built his dream bike. Which btw is no one's dream bike. It looks like hell. "Designed it himself"!! And very proud of that fact. That things been sitting in his driveway for years under a tarp collecting rust. I doubt it's worth 9 grand today.

Another guy I know has a halfway restored Sunbeam that he's put 50k into from a second mortgage. And it's not even close to being done. I think he had it done piecemeal. and whoever was building it for him was ripping him off bigtime. The guy does not know alot about cars. I think at best he has a chassis and collection of parts worth about a third of that.

You can't sell aftermarket parts on your car. Unless you find a buyer with that same laundry list of improvements you had in mind. And at a reputable 4wd installer. Which is very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.