The Honesty Meter About Mods

silvercreek

I thought this would be an interesting subject to see how many will fess-up their motivation for mods to their Jeeps. Here's the question. How many of you will admit that the largest amount of the $$$$ spent is for looks rather than function?

The reason for my curiosity is that I see many expensive off-road vehicles that never leave the pavement. That is with only one exception. I personally know a guy that has more money that common sense... I think. He bought a $64,000 Ford F150 4X4 Limited for a deer hunting truck. I could believe my eyes when I saw him at the Ford Dealer shortly after he returned from his first day of hunting. The new F150 Limited was pretty badly beat up. He said, "isn't that what it's for?"

Someone has already ask me why I bought a Jeep if I'm not planning on taking it off-road.

Well on my budget none of the mods are cosmetic. If they won't improve function... for how I use it... I don't even consider them. Even paint is only used to prevent rust. So my plastic flares are still faded plastic flares. The last thing I want to do is add paint which would need annual touch ups.

My next mod will be rear air bags to level the Jeep when towing. And the big functional reason to do that is to keep the headlights from blinding on coming traffic.

I'm not sure that any of the mods I've done are pointless, I will say however that a lot of them are 'overkill'.

For instance, the RCV axles, Revolution chromoly rear axles, Currie Currectlync, etc... These are all things I probably don't need since my kind of offroading isn't crazy rock crawling stuff. However, I did these mods because I'd rather be over prepared as opposed to under prepared.

I do not believe with a Jeep there is such a thing as 'overkill'.

I am with you @silvercreek that a lot of Jeep owners probably spend a lot of money on mods that they'll never use. This is where the whole 'mall crawler' thing comes into play.

Of course, we all have hobbies whether it be Jeeps, RC cars, video games, guns, etc., and I'm sure that all of us are guilty on spending money on some of our hobbies that is probably a waste of money, but makes us feel good.

That's just human nature I suppose!

I have the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Coupled with the fact that I'm basically broke all the time, the only mods that I can and will contemplate are things that I actually need to do to go where I want. Next up is a suspension upgrade to heavier / taller springs. My gas tank skid plate is taking a beating and the lower spring perches are all nice and polished where the bump stops have been hitting. Then tires and wheels. Then...anyway, my free disposable income is probably shot for the next few years. I probably should have just purchased the nice green Rubicon instead of my SE. But my Jeep and I get along just fine.

Reactions: Chris
A lot of "mods" most new jeepers do are mostly for "look at me" things. As an older (63) guy on his 7th jeep since the early 70's I have seen most of it believe me and even have done some of it. Spend your budget on stuff that will make off roading more fun or safer, not just the look at me stuff. This is strictly my opinion by the way. A snorkel? Lots of "reasons" from people that have to have one. If you are crossing water over your hood, you need a boat. High lift jack on the hood? First off, your stock oem jack will do a better job changing a flat because you aren't lifting the whole jeep, you are lifting the axle. Try finding a flat place to safely use one of these arm breakers safely out in the rocks. Mine is at least 45 years old and works fine in the garage where it has lived for at least 30 or more of those years. Secondly, I don't want the weight of that dinosaur on my hood. 3" body lift? This doesn't, or shouldn't need an explanantion other than dangerous. Save your money and buy a quality lift, a quality winch and sturdy bumpers. Good off road capable tires and wheels will get your farther than led interior dash lights. Not sure what to do first with that new to you stocker? Ask on the forum, check different forums, but the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

You hit the nail on the head with the snorkel Bob! I think that is probably the most 'look at me' mod out there!

@05LJ I've been wondering about those big ole jacks on the hoods. They've got to be heavy.

I have to admit that I do like the Red powder coated tow hooks on the front bumper of my Sport better than the original ones.

From what I read, most hardcore off road guys will tell you those jacks are mostly pointless. The proper factory bottle jack is all that's needed to change a tire on the trail. Also, as for the recovery aspect of those off road jacks, a good winch (and winch accessories) is all you need to get yourself out of a pickle.

So yeah, those jacks you see people driving around with are for the most part just, "look at me!" mods.

Didn't think about that reason. Makes sense I guess except when the wind catches it and folds the hood in half lol.

Those jacks can be pretty dangerous as well since you're using it to lift the entire frame versus just lifting the axle with the bottle jack.

I thought this would be an interesting subject to see how many will fess-up their motivation for mods to their Jeeps. Here's the question. How many of you will admit that the largest amount of the $$$$ spent is for looks rather than function?

The reason for my curiosity is that I see many expensive off-road vehicles that never leave the pavement. That is with only one exception. I personally know a guy that has more money that common sense... I think. He bought a $64,000 Ford F150 4X4 Limited for a deer hunting truck. I could believe my eyes when I saw him at the Ford Dealer shortly after he returned from his first day of hunting. The new F150 Limited was pretty badly beat up. He said, "isn't that what it's for?"

Someone has already ask me why I bought a Jeep if I'm not planning on taking it off-road.
I'm all about function myself. I just bought my first Jeep 2 months ago and it was already lifted and new tires. I love it!
Next on my list are upgraded axles and gears along with an SYE and cv driveshaft.

I might go to a shop in Houston that specializes in Jeep mods 249 drivetrain. If I get the axle assembly already made up can I install it without to many issues. I know every jeep has it's own set of problems but in general? I was in the plumbing industry for 30 years so I do have some mechanical skills. Between me and my son-in-law we could probably do it.
Should I get everything upgraded at a professional shop and pay for the labor expense but have a warranty on upgrades. This is what keeps me up at night!
Along with how much money I need to save so I have everything.

I'll say that I look for function in a modification first. If that mod can also be seen by the general public, I will find one that I think looks the best (i.e. bumpers, fenders, tire carrier, etc). For instance, I just ordered a metalcloak bumper. I like the fact that it is essentially a winch plate and is very close to the frame rails. It's functional…but I also think it will look good on my jeep.

Can't ever go wrong with anything Metalcloak or Currie. Those two seem to just turn anything they touch to gold!

Ahhh, I love their gold stuff! I ordered a set of their control arms that I'm waiting to get here!

Dang…Now I'm jealous haha I've got a set of fenders coming from them as well. Just got a winch, so MC control arms are next on the never ending list for me.