The Hoopty Jeep - 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport

@Chris I got the Recaros as part of the Pinzguaer build back in 2005. I forget the exact number. It was either $800 for 5 or $800 each. I saved two of them from the Pinz as part of the deal to trade for the Jeep.

@XISophos If I was less of an archivist I might have more time to wrench, wheel, and ride(MTB). I should seek professional help.

@glwood & @Chris This LED set did not require a new relay (at lest that I have noticed). I think I remember reading that they did not require any other changes. Not my field, but I believe that they have built in resistance. Typically LED lights have way less resistance than typical incandescent. The increased "flow" causes the relay to trip/repeat faster accordingly. In another career we had to install incandescent lights in closets on the same circuit those "new fangled LED lights" in restaurants. When the restaurant dimmed the lights they all started flickering... it was lack of resistance thing that was solved by the added resistance of the incandescent lights. I assume that the auto industry went thru the same learning curve. I do know that these were sylvan brand that I got at Auto Zone.

If those work without a new relay, great! LED replacement tail light kits usually include a new relay, otherwise the tail lights blink too rapidly.

Had some snow this week I had some time to stop and take a photo. I wish there was more snow, but I'm pretty happy with the results all in all.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have tube fenders. Generally I like them (potential for door swing damage aside). What I don't like is that there are no good turn-signal options with most tube fenders. The little LED light is almost invisible in daylight and not much help at night either. This weekend I finally implemented a solution: Cheap Flexible LED Lights Mounted on the Tube Fender. I still have some cosmetic finish work (wire and epoxy) to complete. But they are functional and more importantly, other drivers now know when I plan to turn or change lanes (when I'm on the road).

OR FAB TJ TIRE CARRIER: Got the Gerry Cans installed this weekend. True to form, nothing about this install was easy. The threaded rods were not aligned and had to be bent. The black brackets were not drilled to the correct diameter and had to be drilled. And the lip edge that holds the bottom of the cans were not wide enough to easily catch the lip edge. But... it does work. Not impressed with the details, but this rack is strong enough to do the job. That much I am impressed with.

20190615_173204.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Airjunky