The Jeep Formerly Known as CookieMonster

skyefalcon6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Finally back into a Jeep after too long an absence. After my last Jeep ('08 JKU), I wanted a TJ next. After looking at way too many, I landed on one from a buddy I met when I had my last Jeep. His is admittedly overbuilt for my intended use but it had many of the things I wanted, namely half doors, soft top, and a manual trans. He built his for rock climbing and he did just that.

Purchased last month in June and here's his mods:
*4" Suspension Lift
*1" Body Lift
*Tummy Tuck
*1.25" Lifted Engine Mounts
*Transfer Case Shift Cable Upgrade
*SYE with Tom Woods Drive Shaft
*B&M Short Throw Shifter
*Custom Front & Rear Bumpers
*Sway Bar Quick Disconnects
*Curry HD Tie Rod & Drag Link
*MC Track Bar
*MC Arched Fenders
*Big Bore Throttle Body & Intake
*MBPR Crawler Cat Back
*Motobuilt Spare Tire Delete w/ Poison Spider 3rd Brake Light
*LED Headlights, Taillights & Signals
*Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 MT 35x12.5x15 on 15x10 steelies
*Rampage Frameless Top
*Shit Winch
*CB
*Alpine Stereo

Sale Pics Attached

Cookie 3.jpg

Cookie 6.jpg

Cookie 7.jpg

Cookie 9.jpg

Cookie 13.jpg

Thats a big hood vent...Takes up the whole top, and has the rubbers/footman loop built in. Do you know the brand, and whats your impression.

First thing I had done to it was lower it two inches. Recall from above, previous owner had put 4" suspension lift + 1" body lift (for the tummy tuck) for total of 5". My use case doesn't include rock crawling so decided a little lower was the way to go.

I had Rock Krawler lift on my JKU before (can I say JKU in here.....?) and had zero complaints so I went with RK again for the TJ.

2" RK coils and shocks kit. Still a little hard for the wife to get in and out so will probably swap the armor+step for separate pieces so the step is lower, aka easier to step in and out.

The things we do for our spouses.

Picked up the Jeep from the lowering and clutch was feeling pretty stiff. My buddy said that was normal and no worries so I drove it home.

On the way home, the famous Check Engine Light. Stopped at Oh-Oh-Oh-O'Reillys (sorry, had to) for a readout and came back P0442 - Small EVAP System Leak.

Ok, so driveable.

Took it for a spin in the evening and fought the clutch it pretty hard.

Then my kiddo told me the lights were doing something funny. Observed that while turn signal was in operation, the opposite side would also blink but at a rate faster than the other side. Did it front and back. Interesting bit was this only happened with lights off.

Talked to my buddy and we arranged to bring it back and he'd fix them.

Next morning clutch was completely unusable. Had to actually flat bed tow it back to his shop. We traded some very good natured jabs (why can't you drive a standard? Why can't you sell me a working jeep?) and got to looking at it. Sure enough, the clutch hydraulics had decided to die not so peacefully.

Clutch bits were replaced right away, but had to leave it with him for the other two bits.

//Electrical//
Ended up being a relay issue and in the process, I got two new running/signal lights in the grille for added front visibility. I was going to add these myself so they arrived earlier than planned. Score.

//EVAP Leak//
Took some time for this just because life. He's a one man shop and got slammed. We're friends from awhile back (I helped muck out his house after Hurricane Harvey destroyed it), so hey go feed the fam.

Leak seems to be in dry rotted old hoses so he replaced the bad ones. Cleared the code and now monitoring.

Picked it back up last Wed and so far so good.

EDIT: Forgot to attach pics.
1st: Funny turn signal action
2nd: Dang Ol' Clutch
3rd: New grille light

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8453.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8124.MOV
    9.8 MB
Last edited:
Reactions: Potomus Pete
Got a new windshield this past Friday. Had a north/south crack plus several large impact spots, one of which was in direct driving line of sight. No bueno.

Also decided to order new tires and wheels. The Deegan 38 muds are only 9 months old but I do plan to be on pavement 80% of the time and beach the rest. The MUDs like to dig, which is great for mud but not for sand. Stayed with Mickey Thompson, though, landing on the Baja Legend EXPs in 35x12.5x17. Reviews were excellent and seem to fit my intended use perfectly. 4WP gave the best deal for the tires and actually had them. Wheels will be the Black Rock 955 Detours in 17x9. Ordered these from TrailBuilt.

Tires: https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-legend-exp

Wheels: https://www.blackrockwheels.com/wheels/product-detail/955b-detour/

Windshield:

IMG_8469.JPG

Reactions: Matt131
While swapping out the license plates, I noticed the bolts were rusted so I've been cleaning those up. Discovered an Easter Egg behind the plate that definitely will stay. :)

Putting plates back on presented a goat cluster when the inside bolt fell down inside the flippin' back bumper. Took an hour of poking around to find it. Used canned air to push it from wherever it was to an outside hole that I could grab it.

Had to remove the backing plate to ensure getting the plate on and oh look, those bolts are rusted too. Fun.

So instead of a quick plate swap, I'm resolving minor issues that want to become annoying.

IMG_E8484.JPG

IMG_8500.JPG

Last edited:
Finished the back plate replacement after cleaning up some more bolts. Noticed the back plate had the beginnings of some rust, so that got cleaned, prepped and painted.

Didn't want to repeat the bolt fiasco so had to think of a way to replace easily. Couldn't put the license plate on the backer plate then reinstall due to the license plate light so I ended up throwing some tape down and putting bolts into the backing plate to allow room to align the license plate, license plate light, and backing plate. Then, final two bolts up top.

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

Once that was done, I turned my attention to a couple side stickers that were being stubborn. Tried hair dryer, fishing wire, and some plastic wedge shaped tools. No luck.

It took an alternating application of wd40 and goo gone soaking for a good while. Then used readers and a razor blade to get behind them without scratching paint. Finally got a space big enough for a little plastic bit to get behind and remove.

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG

Reactions: ranger101
More boring stuff - got a new battery this past weekend.

Not boring: Got new tires & wheels today. Such a difference, really loving the look and feel.

IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG

What is your process for this ?

I'll hit the bumper and other bits with some degreaser first, sand away any surface rust and then rattle can with some rustoleum black/primer. I'll soak the bolts in some CLR and clean up any rust as well, then rattle can those too.

Will probably get a new front bumper later on but have some other mods to prioritize ahead of that. Unless I change my mind, lol.

Made progress on the front bumper and underlying frame bits over the weekend. Lots of nook & crannies to get sanded, took awhile.

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

This bumper was custom built from a friend of the previous owner and in good enough shape to be fine after refreshing it for a bit. I've got some other things prioritized ahead of it.