"The Jeep Wave Is A Lie"

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
For decades the “Jeep Wave” has been a way for Jeep owners to greet one another, and it’s a lot of fun. But there’s one misunderstanding about this tradition thats been tearing at my soul: people think it applies to all Jeeps, when in reality, most Jeepers—like my poor self—get no love.

Obviously, a greeting between owners of a certain type of vehicle isn’t the most important issue to be discussing, but this has been nagging me for a while now, so bear with me: The “Jeep Wave” isn’t actually a “Jeep” wave. The name is a big lie.

“Jeep vehicle owners are unlike any others; from those who embrace the ‘Jeep wave’ to those who look forward to helping a fellow off-roader along the trail, there is a sense of community and passion among Jeep owners that makes our brand unique,” Jeep wrote in a 2012 press release.

Reading this, you might think to yourself “Oh boy, I should buy a Jeep Compass, because I want to be part of that tight-knit community.” That’s, at least, what Jeep wants you to think. But trust me when I say that you will be sorely disappointed, and perhaps cry yourself to sleep a few nights eating a bucket of Neapolitan ice cream and watching a rom com, feeling thoroughly rejected.

Rest of article at link - https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-wave-is-a-lie-1826610074

I have a 1990 xj Cherokee, was one of the first cars I drove. Never one time did anyone give me the Jeep wave. Now that I got a rubicon I get waved at all the time. Especially when in the hills, or by a fellow tj owner (but sometimes the jk guys will wave) it really is a “wrangler wave”, might have something to do with the uniqueness that wranglers have. [emoji1309]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how much thought is put into the "Jeep Wave". People who don't get a wave back seem to get butt hurt about it (at least from what I've heard). Motorcyclists have this wave as well.

Yeah, I wave. Been doing it for 25(?) years now. Flat-fenders (CJ, MB, Willy’s Wagon, Commandos, Wranglers, etc.) along with the occasional FSJ or XJ if you can tell their “wheelers”. I always try to return to anyone who waves at me. You don’t return? That’s OK, I was friendly but maybe you were busy, distracted, glare on my windshield...? Now if I wave at the same Jeep on several occasions and never get a wave back, I’ll eventually quit. But it’s more of a “why bother” response than having feelings hurt.

It’s just a sense of community camaraderie. Not a requirement. Nothing to go out of the way for, and certainly nothing to get offended over. But it’s nice if you get it sometimes. :)

But it’s nice if you get it sometimes. :)

Just curious how your rig looks like. nothing malicious, I am just curious. I imagine you will "fit-in" well in TX.

By the way, in the Panhandle, we even wave at each other without driving. Now if you're on a Wrangler, that is really a pure and sincere wave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blank
For decades the “Jeep Wave” has been a way for Jeep owners to greet one another, and it’s a lot of fun. But there’s one misunderstanding about this tradition thats been tearing at my soul: people think it applies to all Jeeps, when in reality, most Jeepers—like my poor self—get no love.

Obviously, a greeting between owners of a certain type of vehicle isn’t the most important issue to be discussing, but this has been nagging me for a while now, so bear with me: The “Jeep Wave” isn’t actually a “Jeep” wave. The name is a big lie.

“Jeep vehicle owners are unlike any others; from those who embrace the ‘Jeep wave’ to those who look forward to helping a fellow off-roader along the trail, there is a sense of community and passion among Jeep owners that makes our brand unique,” Jeep wrote in a 2012 press release.

Reading this, you might think to yourself “Oh boy, I should buy a Jeep Compass, because I want to be part of that tight-knit community.” That’s, at least, what Jeep wants you to think. But trust me when I say that you will be sorely disappointed, and perhaps cry yourself to sleep a few nights eating a bucket of Neapolitan ice cream and watching a rom com, feeling thoroughly rejected.

Rest of article at link - https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-wave-is-a-lie-1826610074

Really, the lie is that the Compass you are thinking of buying is actually considered to be a Jeep by the “waving community”.

Honestly? When we talk “Jeep” how many of us are thinking the Fiat Cherokee? Some of us my think XJ, but “Patriot”? Nah, not likely. Hey, my wife has a ‘17 GC Overland. Don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice vehicle! But we are going someplace the question still is “your car or one of the Jeeps?” :)

Reactions: Rubirob
Just curious how your rig looks like. nothing malicious, I am just curious. I imagine you will "fit-in" well in TX.

By the way, in the Panhandle, we even wave at each other without driving. Now if you're on a Wrangler, that is really a pure and sincere wave.

Mine? The DD is a silver LJ, Gr8Tops safari top, Yakima crossbars & basket (the big one), Warrior Products fenders, 31x10.5’s on black steel wheels, tire carrier, bumpers, KC Apollo fogs, KC Apollo DRLs, and probably a hundred little things I forgot.

The TJ is a soft top, has stubby bumper up front, rear has a tire carrier built in, winch, flat fenders, Congo Cage w/ basket, lights (KC Gravity) on the rack, mirrors mounted CJ style, KC Apollo fogs, black Cragar steel 16” wheels, forget tire size think it is a 32.5 or so equivalent. If it’s warm the doors and curtains are gone.

Just tried to give you visuals... not the lockers, gearing, etc.

Edit- Oh, and they probably have at least one Great Dane hanging their slobbery heads out the side or a window! :) :)

Reactions: Ted05Rubi