The Jeep Wrangler JL according to Consumer Reports

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This doesn't surprise me at all, but I did find it very amusing nonetheless :ROFLMAO:

73016126_10104261116470607_883143154067308544_o.jpg

What is the context of the article? Is it overall vehicle or probability of being stabbed with a spork? If the latter is the context of the article, I'd say it's the best at spork avoidance.

• Haha
Reactions: Equilibrium31
What are the categories at the top of each column?

No doubt as an SUV you can do better.
Fiat needs to decide if they are building an off-road machine or a people hauler

My Toyota Highlander was a great luxury car. It was quiet, very comfortable ride, power everything, backup camera, gps, heated mirrors, sun roof, buttons controlling everything, decent enough gas mileage on the highway even at 80 mph (16-18 mpg city, 20-23 highway), the wide stance and long wheelbase made it feel secure on the road, etc., etc., etc.

It handled good on dry pavement. It was a pig in snow, plowing at corners unless you slowed way down to a crawl. I once broke the front bumper on a snow drift in my neighborhood. It cracked my plastic bumper and broke out the $200 front fog light leaving it in pieces for a block. I didn't realize I had broken it until a day later because it was just a freaking snow drift. I bought a new fog light off the internet and duck taped the cracked fender from the backside. A year later a car pulled out in front of me and destroyed everything down to the bar in front that protects the engine. Lights, bumper, hood, and a small part behind the bumper that cost $600. $6,500 in damage.

I hated that it beeped all the time for every little thing. The keyless entry would unlock it if you locked the car and then got to close to it. It gets great reliability ratings, because it was constantly telling me to take it to the dealer for oil changes and scheduled general maintenance. I did my own so I had to learn the key/button routines for resetting everything. If you unhooked the battery, there is a special code to enter to get the radio and info center reset. The users manual was 3 volumes.

Comfortable, reliable, boring ass SUV made from a Camry. POS in snow and off road. You can look at the plastic parts on it crooked and they break causing thousands in damage. They basically disguised the old boat luxury cars of the past in a pretend plastic 4WD vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 banger TJ
Here's their breakdown which says it all in my opinion. Rides like a truck (slow acceleration, ehh braking, poor handling on the slalom course) , breaks because people abuse it, everyone loves it.
ROAD TEST 36 / 100
PREDICTED RELIABILITY 2 / 5
PREDICTED OWNER SATISFACTION 5 / 5
Oh and FUEL ECONOMY 2 / 5

I'm not sure how it got a 3 out of 5 for trunk space.

Last edited:
Consumer reports needs to pull the Wrangler out of the SUV category and make another category for true 4wd/offroad vehicles. Take the Toyota Highlander down some of the same trails a Rubicon can go down and see how it ranks. Having owned one for 10 years I give it 0.5/5 to 1/5 for off dry pavement capability. Worse than most AWD sedans. When it would snow here, I used the select gear automatic transmission to down shift and engine brake rather than push the brake pedal.

I drove a 1980 Chevy Citation in high school when I lived in the boonies with limited maintenance country roads and it had better off road capability. Trust me on that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mots and reddvltj
I read some of that thread and they were going to contact the NTSHA to see if they could get a recall? My lord, what has this country gone to? I have a small intermittent creak when driving. I'm assuming it's the front right shock based on where it comes from. Every car I've owned has squeaking doors after the first winter. I would take our 63 Chevy pickup farm truck sometimes and it's doors sounded like a Halloween studio prop.

Oh, and one simply does not lubricate with WD40, it's not very good at it.

Reactions: reddvltj
Well, this ain’t gonna be popular ...but a Jeep, by that I mean any of them the top comes off of, has never been really very polished compared to anything currently produced . Functional, capable ,fun.... but what a Jeep gives you just isn’t what a highlander gives you ...And a Highlander can’t ever give you what a Jeep can either .

They have gotten way nicer, but so has everything else. They usually excel against their predecessors, but lord that is ever argued. My point is this ...Jeeps don’t compare to everything else. Only in a a Jeep. It’s a Jeep Thing. Jeep life . All that is born out of a vehicle that is simply one of a kind.

A Jeep gives you a unique experience , like Harley was known for, Corvette, and many others ..but Jeep stands alone being so universally accepted .

it also is one of the few vehicles that identifies with its owners and vice versa...it seems to say, nothing is going to stop me, I’m going to get there, road or not.

Reactions: Vasq
I’ve had luxury SUVs (have a BMW X3 now), luxury cars, quiet Toyota’s, Mazda’s, fuel efficient Honda’s, pickup trucks that were so quiet, sports cars, and nearly everything in between. But if I had $40-$50k burning a hole in my pocket right now, I’d buy a JL (notice I did not say JLU).
I have 2 really nice vehicles other than my TJ (the X3 with 7k miles and a 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack with 8k miles), but the TJ is the only one I routinely think about and plan to keep for the next 10+ years. Reliable, no, not compared to a soccer mom mobile, but if reliability is all that mattered we’d all be driving Something like a Prius. No thanks

I had a conversation with a friend the other day about how the wrangler is a "class-less" vehicle... It looks totally at home and in the right place at the beach, at the office, at the monster truck rally, and at the valet parking in front of an ultra nice whatever. Everything about the JL doesn't work on paper. It's slow and handles bad, poor mileage, wind noise, rattles, etc and people still love it. It's well known that the steering is vague and awful and people happily pay 60k for one, then drop thousands more on track bars, control arms and other parts to make it steer ... better. The wrangler is and always has been an anomaly. There is no point in comparing it to other cars because it is so much more than that. The wrangler invokes passion. And just like love, once that happens logic flies right out the window.