The Lifespan of Large Appliances Is Shrinking

My hunting camp has 2 fridges from the 70's / early 80's in it and they both keep on chugging along. Granted they are on only 75% of the year though, we cut the power everytime we leave camp. Current kitchen appliances were replaced by previous owner in 2013. So far our oven I've had to replace the ignitor (troubleshot and replaced myself) and currently one of our gas burners is broken. Tried to remove it and broke off both screws, so running with 3 burners now. Our fridge has made some questionable sounds the last few years, but is still alive and our dishwater is be used as additional storage space, since we hand wash everything. Our dryer had a simple switch / fuse piece needed replaced (I figured this out and replaced it myself) and our washer sometimes leaks into the bowl (Speed Queens will be the replacement when these go out). Replaced our water heater after the 7 year old one died on new years day. Had to replace the coil in our central ac as well too. The central ac was maybe 6 years old and we dealt with a leaking coil for 2 years before fixing it. HVAC guy said that new ac's are good for about 10 years now at most.

To me it's wild how everything is shit anymore. I guess it's what we should expect given the current path our country is on.

Reactions: BlueC
I don't know what brand you went with, but around here Goodman is a popular "budget" nameplate, and I see those being replaced about every 5 years, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Lennox, putting in a crappy unit would not have benefited the installer as they would be here fixing the unit under a service contract.

Reactions: BlueC
its on par with cow farts in that it has a "global warming" quotient.🙄

The globalist are currently attacking cow farts too. :rolleyes:

"Irish Farmers pressured to cull up to 200,000 cows to meet climate goals." https://www.ft.com/content/4028ae15-fea2-48fb-bcdb-228f61e1b098

"Under a new government plan, agriculture must reduce emissions by 25% by 2030.... Sweeney estimates Ireland will need to reduce its number of cattle by 1 million by 2030." https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/29/irish-farmers-cull-cows-meet-climate-targets

Last edited:

"Irish Farmers pressured to cull uto 200,000 cows to meet climate goals." https://www.ft.com/content/4028ae15-fea2-48fb-bcdb-228f61e1b098

"Under a new government plan, agriculture must reduce emissions by 25% by 2030.... Sweeney estimates Ireland will need to reduce its number of cattle by 1 million by 2030." https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/29/irish-farmers-cull-cows-meet-climate-targets

I think culling these city folk would be a better idea....

"We don't like this truck because it rides and drives like a truck. We prefer the Ridgeline."

I haven't read CS in decades, I just remember weird priorities - your quote above wouldn't surprise me. I do remember them just having a conniption fit if a car's rear window defroster didn't have a timed shut off. BFD. They also knocked a B&D drill that I happened to own an example of. It was a fine drill, I didn't have any problems with it.

"Irish Farmers pressured to cull up to 200,000 cows to meet climate goals." https://www.ft.com/content/4028ae15-fea2-48fb-bcdb-228f61e1b098

Why not just feed the cows Beano?

Methane Blockers.jpg

explore%20beano%20cta.jpg

I admire your intestinal fortitude. What a PITA!

It's not really intestinal fortitude. It's doing what you have to do to get a product to work properly because the only other choices (buying replacement parts and fixing it, and buying a replacement appliance) are horrible. The replacement parts were about $200 in this case. A new range is $500 for an entry-level unit (this one is a bit better than entry-level, but not even close to top-of-the-line). Both of those would likely end up with broken parts a year or two down the road, as the participants in this thread have attested. I fixed the handle for almost nothing, except my time. The steel was scrap pieces, and the aluminum was in my stock pile. The J-B Weld was about $.50 worth. Hopefully, I now have a range that's better than new.

I've been fixing my appliances for a long time. I own residential rental units, so every few months, I have something that needs fixing. If I replaced units when they failed, I'd be losing thousands of dollars in rental income every year. If I paid someone to repair them, same thing. See my most recent experience with a repair tech (term used loosely!) in Post #7 of this thread.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
My dad bought a 12hp Murray rider mower in 87. I took it over in 1995 and sold it for $500 in in 2005. 3 deck rebuilds in that time frame, but the 12 hp Briggs only got oil and filter changes.

You can still get decent equipment, but not from a box store. My gas powered Kubota mower is 20 years old this year with only general maintenance. When I worked at Lowes years ago, power equipment was returned within six months at a 20-25% rate. Even the "John Deeres" sold by Lowes (licensed price-point mowers) came back quite often.

My dad bought a 12hp Murray rider mower in 87. I took it over in 1995 and sold it for $500 in in 2005. 3 deck rebuilds in that time frame, but the 12 hp Briggs only got oil and filter changes.

Oooo, look at Mr. Moneybags over here throwing around new oil like a Saudi Sheik.

My little Walmart Briggs mower is 12 years old and still running the oil it came with. It gets the same gas as the weekwacker so maybe the 2-stroke oil helps?

Last edited:
You can still get decent equipment, but not from a box store. My gas powered Kubota mower is 20 years old this year with only general maintenance. When I worked at Lowes years ago, power equipment was returned within six months at a 20-25% rate. Even the "John Deeres" sold by Lowes (licensed price-point mowers) came back quite often.

No brand at any of the box stores are the same as bought from an authorized dealer. I had a 28" Ariens snow blower shipped to NY from a Chicago dealer that will blow away any Ariens in Lowe's...yes pun intended.

Reactions: Squatch and BlueC
I do commercial refrigeration and constantly get asked to work on peoples home fridges. I refuse to ever get caught up in working on that junk unless its mine.

I recently turned down a job on a 10k$ fridge that had a voltage spike on principle even if it probably is commercial grade parts and readily servicable. Theres no way i want to be known as the maytag man.

On thing I'll say is never buy LG. doesn't matter if its a fridge,mini split,etc. You'll regret it