The mid-engine C8 Corvette is finally here

Let's be honest, a computer is going to be faster around the track than a person. What's the point? Having spent time on a race track, drive-by-wire, automatic transmissions, traction control, abs are all no fun. Who wants to ride shotgun to a computer in their own car.

Should people still have to get out of their car to crank start the engine? Advancements in technology scare people that just don't know how to use them.

• Haha
Reactions: L J
I actually saw one last week drive by with all the camouflage wrap. I really wish they would have created a new vehicle (like Ford made the GT40) and kept the front engine v8 vette. The current Ford GT is V6 powered and the new Shelby Mustang is not available with a manual gearbox. Moment of silence for American muscle cars.

clutch pedals have no place in modern super/hyper cars

If you are a real driver, you want to actually drive. A computer shifting for you takes away the experience. Autos have been faster than manuals for decades, but it is all about "driving", not about the fastest time, if you want to drive a car. If you want to steer/brake and hold on, that is up to you.

The Corvette will be driven on the road. It will be used at about 1/100th of its ability. Even my Audi S5 is boring. Sure I could make it 500hp for a little over a grand, but what is the point? To go fast for about two seconds and shut it down? I have had my car over 150mph on the street (allegedly) and it is nothing exciting. Why add an automatic to make it even more boring?

Reactions: Deuxdiesel
Should people still have to get out of their car to crank start the engine? Advancements in technology scare people that just don't know how to use them.

Really? So an automatic is somehow harder to use? How so? A duel clutch set up is faster, but certainly more boring. There is no fear. Anyone that drives a manual could sit in a auto car all day and it means nothing. Auto drivers can't do the same. I love the design of the new Vette and would even consider one, but it would be boring unless you track it. If you start tracking your car, you better have some deep pockets because you are going to be spending some real money.

Again, the more technology the more boring unless you are pushing the car's limits. You can't even come close to pushing that Vette's limits on our roadways. You are going to be sleeping driving that thing since it will be way over kill for the streets. I do like it though and my current car is overkill, let alone moving into a 2020 Vette. My Audi S5 is boring even in rain. The computer is so crazy good I would have to break the law to the point they would have to take me to jail if I pushed my car. Therefore at least give me a manual so I can row the gears for some fun.

If you are a real driver, you want to actually drive.

The C8 ain't a Tesla, chief.

A computer shifting for you takes away the experience.

How do you like your power brakes and power steering? Are you missing anything from the "experience"?

Autos have been faster than manuals for decades, but it is all about "driving", not about the fastest time, if you want to drive a car. If you want to steer/brake and hold on, that is up to you.

I can't believe that you aren't aware that the only differences to the driving "experience" between these new "automatics" and a "manual" is the lack of a clutch pedal and stick. You can still shift "manually" using the paddles. Added bonus to the new "automatics" is both hands on the wheel.

Why add an automatic to make it even more boring?

If you the difference between boring and exciting for you is extending your left leg and moving your right arm a few times, I don't know what to tell you.

The C8 ain't a Tesla, chief.

How do you like your power brakes and power steering? Are you missing anything from the "experience"?

I can't believe that you aren't aware that the only differences to the driving "experience" between these new "automatics" and a "manual" is the lack of a clutch pedal and stick. You can still shift "manually" using the paddles. Added bonus to the new "automatics" is both hands on the wheel.

If you the difference between boring and exciting for you is extending your left leg and moving your right arm a few times, I don't know what to tell you.

You wouldn't understand. My Audi is one of the last manuals and I bought it for a reason. Would I prefer to have no power steering? Probably yes, I miss real steering. Driving a more difficult car is more fun. Driving a super sophisticated fast car on the road is boring. I don't think you get it. I have owned a lot of very fast cars and as old as 50's cars. I've had lots of BMWs, Vettes, Alpha and more and more. They are more fun because it takes a real driver to get things out of it. You race a manual on a drag strip you are a crazy good driver if you can be consistent and fast. You race an auto with a bunch of electronics you are pressing a button and holding on. You don't need to drive the car much. A child can steer a car and drive a sophisticated car. A real driver can get a lot out of junk. Separates the real driver from the child that can steer.

We could go round and round, but you are talking about a bunch of dumb things to try and prove a point about manual vs. automatic. Stick to the topic and stop bringing up brakes and upgrades that mean nothing. The computer aboard my Audi makes it boring. The AWD system is way overkill even in a downpour.

Autos have been faster than manuals for decades. Doesn't mean they provide a driver more fun, it is just making things more equal for a lesser driver.

Really? So an automatic is somehow harder to use? How so? A duel clutch set up is faster, but certainly more boring. There is no fear. Anyone that drives a manual could sit in a auto car all day and it means nothing. Auto drivers can't do the same. I love the design of the new Vette and would even consider one, but it would be boring unless you track it. If you start tracking your car, you better have some deep pockets because you are going to be spending some real money.

Again, the more technology the more boring unless you are pushing the car's limits. You can't even come close to pushing that Vette's limits on our roadways. You are going to be sleeping driving that thing since it will be way over kill for the streets. I do like it though and my current car is overkill, let alone moving into a 2020 Vette. My Audi S5 is boring even in rain. The computer is so crazy good I would have to break the law to the point they would have to take me to jail if I pushed my car. Therefore at least give me a manual so I can row the gears for some fun.

That's your opinion. Although your opinion doesn't trend well with top tier professional racers.

Do you think overlanding racers should still have to get under their vehicle to switch into 4low?

Who wants to ride shotgun in their computer car? Pretty damn simple to answer. The people who want to take home prize money.... There's no pedestal for being smug about driving stick.

clutch pedals have no place in modern super/hyper cars

better than the front engine Vettes

Another way to look at is modern super/hyper cars have no place on public roads today. 99% of people who buy these cars can't even begin to come close to using the type of power they put out. Driving a 600 hp Vette at 35 mph on the Dragon is the same as driving a Jeep on 40's to the mall. Even an ND Miata can barely be driven at 9/10ths of it's ability by very skilled drivers.

No manual, no bueno, no thanks.

You wouldn't understand. My Audi is one of the last manuals and I bought it for a reason. Would I prefer to have no power steering? Probably yes, I miss real steering. Driving a more difficult car is more fun. Driving a super sophisticated fast car on the road is boring. I don't think you get it. I have owned a lot of very fast cars and as old as 50's cars. I've had lots of BMWs, Vettes, Alpha and more and more. They are more fun because it takes a real driver to get things out of it. You race a manual on a drag strip you are a crazy good driver if you can be consistent and fast. You race an auto with a bunch of electronics you are pressing a button and holding on. You don't need to drive the car much. A child can steer a car and drive a sophisticated car. A real driver can get a lot out of junk. Separates the real driver from the child that can steer.

We could go round and round, but you are talking about a bunch of dumb things to try and prove a point about manual vs. automatic. Stick to the topic and stop bringing up brakes and upgrades that mean nothing. The computer aboard my Audi makes it boring. The AWD system is way overkill even in a downpour.

Autos have been faster than manuals for decades. Doesn't mean they provide a driver more fun, it is just making things more equal for a lesser driver.
I get your point. My Rubicon is stick for a reason. I’m am doubtful, however, that F1 drivers aren’t having as much fun or would rather have a stick

Crank the engine, right, same thing as stability control. Sounds like you'll be first in line for a self driving car.

Why would anyone want features that allow themselves to control their vehicles better than they ever could without them? (Sarcasm) This "real racing" mantra you guys are pushing is hilarious. Amateur racers pull this shit all the time when they don't win racing and complain it's because they like to "drive like a real man."

I get your point. My Rubicon is stick for a reason. I’m am doubtful, however, that F1 drivers aren’t having as much fun or would rather have a stick

Put me on a track and I am down with a double clutch. I am now going to track my car regularly so I want some fun on the roads. The is a reason Jeremy Clarckson drives a gtl. It is still fun because it isn’t overkill. Track cars aren’t in my future. If the were I might look at a Lotus. Now that is fun

Reactions: Chapman4266
Dude seriously I can’t dumb myself down to childish crap. Have a good day. Done with you. Geez
Want a real reply? Don't act smug for driving a manual in a car that isnt even comparable to the one in question. We're talking high horse power, high torque, and a much lower center of gravity.

Sure I'll take a manual for driving around town with the windows down. It's more "fun" per se. But if I want to be on the track I want a more technological car that will let me corner better, accelerate faster, and while doing all of that will make me a great bit safer with better stability control, etc.

"Real driving" is just a goofy phrase to say because you don't like advancements is technology while still keeping up with regulations.

I like the Corvette, but I'm a sucker for Camaros. Given the choice, the Camaro is my muscle car of choice (with the exception of the 7th gen model, as I think they totally ruined the aesthetics of that car).