The mid-engine C8 Corvette is finally here

I've done the Lotus thing, and you can't fault them except for comfort. I must be getting old though and a little comfort is winning over ultimate performance everytime.

You're not the only one.

All of my old riding buddies ask me why I would buy a fast car like this when I've owned some of the fastest motorcycles in the world (Aprilias, Ducatis, MV Agustas, etc.) that would put cars like this to shame in terms of speed.

I tell them that I like the cars more now because as I get older I find that comfort is something I really value. I like being able to go fast in a car on a hot day with the A/C on, sitting in a nice plush seat, listening to good music, and mostly just relaxing.

You can have the fastest toy in the world, but if it isn't comfortable, I think there's something to be said for that.

Driving a more difficult car is more fun. Driving a super sophisticated fast car on the road is boring.

... childish crap.

They are more fun because it takes a real driver to get things out of it. You race a manual on a drag strip you are a crazy good driver if you can be consistent and fast. You race an auto with a bunch of electronics you are pressing a button and holding on. You don't need to drive the car much. A child can steer a car and drive a sophisticated car. A real driver can get a lot out of junk. Separates the real driver from the child that can steer.

... childish crap.

We could go round and round, but you are talking about a bunch of dumb things to try and prove a point about manual vs. automatic. Stick to the topic and stop bringing up brakes and upgrades that mean nothing.

... childish crap.

Autos have been faster than manuals for decades. Doesn't mean they provide a driver more fun, it is just making things more equal for a lesser driver.

... childish crap.

Have a good day. Done with you.

agreed 🍻

I quite like the design and idea but I dont think it suits the corvette name imo. As for the whole manual vs auto debate, I think auto only suits the nature of the C8, but manuals definitely have their place. Personally I prefer manuals for a bit more fun but I can't deny that if I just wanted to go fast or actually drive competitively, of course I would choose an auto.

Good read. Thx @Chris. I thought the excuse for not offering a manual was flimsy. They just couldn’t figure out how to fit a third pedal in the cockpit.

It does look great though.

I realize that if one is racing on a track a dual clutch is preferred, but I’m only racing from one red light to the next and cracking through the gears is one of the few pleasures in life for a middle-aged working man.

I realize that if one is racing on a track a dual clutch is preferred, but I’m only racing from one red light to the next and cracking through the gears is one of the few pleasures in life for a middle-aged working man.

I am with you on one. If I was to buy a sports car, I would buy it in a manual just for the fun of it.

Having now seen the C8 in person, I can give it a solid "eh..." I'm honestly not impressed with the overall design; it's somehow both very overdone and very lackluster. I guess I can't figure out what they're going for, on this one.

So since corvette is going mid-engine does that make the 2019 z06 a future collectors car due to it being the last "true" corvette??