The Milwaukee PackOut Show Off Thread

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Show off your Milwaukee PackOut configurations, accessories and modifications.

What works well for what you do and why?

I recently bit the bullet and got a stack. I went with the 3 drawer section to reduce the amount of times that I need to unstack to access tools. My most commonly used tools that don't live in my belt are in the drawers.
20220303_063252.jpg

More changes are coming up as soon as parts arrive, with an eye towards space and time efficiency.

Last edited:
@jjvw thanks for point out this .. never knew such a thing existed.

One of my goals this year and going forward is to learn doing more of my own vehicle maintenance work instead of taking it to a shop. Been making a list for tools and such (so that I can keep an eye and buy used), but also want to buy some useful storage for it. This packout system looks like a good modular option than the traditional tool chests (which tend to be both large and expensive even used).

@jjvw thanks for point out this .. never knew such a thing existed.

One of my goals this year and going forward is to learn doing more of my own vehicle maintenance work instead of taking it to a shop. Been making a list for tools and such (so that I can keep an eye and buy used), but also want to buy some useful storage for it. This packout system looks like a good modular option than the traditional tool chests (which tend to be both large and expensive even used).

As is typical with Milwaukee, the PackOut system is very well thought out. And it has very solid aftermarket support for a high degree of customization beyond what Milwaukee allows.

It works very well for work where mobility is important. I'm not convinced it is the best solution for a shop or garage setting where traditional shelves and bins are far less expensive and are also far more space efficient.

The space (in)efficiency is also why I don't think PackOut is a good solution to Jeep storage. Soft bags are a far better answer.

The space (in)efficiency is also why I don't think PackOut is a good solution to Jeep storage. Soft bags are a far better answer.
This would be my big concern with a stack of hard plastic containers in the Jeep. I can see it being useful in a work van or truck, where you can easily lock it down and drive away without worrying about your expensive stuff sliding all over. In a jeep though, space is at such a premium, I can't justify devoting that space to that type of system. I use a small, plastic toolbox stuffed with canvas bags to keep it organized. I have a tool roll. That's it for what I carry from a tool perspective and I dare say I could completely disassemble the jeep with that kit. It weighs about 30 lbs.

My First Aid kit is in a soft pack. My recovery gear is in a soft pack. They can be squished and rearranged to fit different places. Even my trail food and beverages get carried in a coolerbag.

Reactions: PRNDL and jjvw
Here is a common modification to allow the lower rolling box to better fit under a truck's tonneau cover (or in a Jeep).

The handle doesn't collapse all the way down making the box less than compact.
20220314_133346.jpg

The handle is held in place with a pair of small set screws near the bottom. Replace those with a pair of spring loaded plunger pins.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KH4D2C1/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Screenshot_20220314-142816_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20220314_133401.jpg

This allows the handle to be quickly removed for easier transport inside a small vehicle.
20220314_133417.jpg

One of my goals this year and going forward is to learn doing more of my own vehicle maintenance work instead of taking it to a shop.
Glad to hear this, it's been such a positive thing for me.

Are the packout cases waterproof, if you tossed them in the back of a pickup and it rained is everything okay?

Glad to hear this, it's been such a positive thing for me.

Are the packout cases waterproof, if you tossed them in the back of a pickup and it rained is everything okay?
All the lidded boxes/cases I have seen have a rubber seal on them. The drawers are not waterproof.

Reactions: pagrey
Here's a couple more...

Stealth Mounts and a homemade bracket let's you hang a small organizer off of the back for things not needed very often.
20220323_134413.jpg

20220323_134403.jpg

We are able to leave our stuff in a safe place overnight, but I still put a cable on my stack to keep it from rolling away easily. These big stainless steel rings make threading the cable a lot easier.
20220323_134329.jpg

Let's go people! I can't be the only one who modifies things other than Jeeps. 🤣

Last edited:
It's tough, I use them because they're waterproof and lockable. If I had your setup of a permanently mounted box I'd probably dump the packout. I do wish they made one that optimized for space, but understand why they didn't.

Other than in my Jeep I keep them on my shelf at home but that's stuck behind my Jeep in the garage right now. I did 3d print a packout hook that sits in the top tray and has a hook on it. I'll try to remember to get a pic

Reactions: jjvw
Here's a couple more...

Stealth Mounts and a homemade bracket let's you hang a small organizer off of the back for things not needed very often.
View attachment 317834

View attachment 317836

We are able to leave our stuff in a safe place overnight, but I still put a cable on my stack to keep it from rolling away easily. These big stainless steel rings make threading the cable a lot easier.
View attachment 317835

Let's go people! I can't be the only one who modifies things other than Jeeps. 🤣

I just got the Milwaukee 52" workbench! Love it, so awesome. Been saving up my credit card points to buy it. No pics though...and this post is useless without pics, but now let's see what's on the inside of the containers?

... but now let's see what's on the inside of the containers?

Several sellers on Etsy have these bins that accept the fold out Milwaukee bit holders.

The three black bins and the blue bit tray contain about 5-6 of the large red bit cases in almost half the space. Plus, by keeping this stuff on top inside a slim hardware case, I am no longer digging through drawers looking for driver and drill bits.

20220324_094856.jpg

More stuff in less space that is also easier to find and put away.

Last edited:
Several sellers on Etsy have these bins that accept the bit Milwaukee bit holders.

The three black bins and the blue bit tray contain about 5-6 of the large red bit cases in almost half the space. Plus, by keeping this stuff on top inside a slim hardware case, I am no longer digging through drawers looking for driver and drill bits.

View attachment 317949

More stuff in less space that is also easier to find and put away.

This great! It is helpful to find those black bins that hold the Milwaukee bit holders, looks great!

Packible.com has a mounting bracket that lets the crate (or a hardware case) hang off the front of the rolling box.
20220324_133446.jpg

20220324_093657.jpg

20220324_093742.jpg

The goal here being that the only layer I need to unload to get into the lower rolling box are the drawers. Everything else is readily accessible on top or from the sides. Generally, I only need to get into the bottom box twice a day, to remove and put away my tool belt. Everything else I store down below isn't needed often.

And by keeping the stack height low, I have a small work surface with me.

Also notice the level holder on the corner that also carries two benders, a broom, whatever long thing I might need to drag with me.

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking. A quick measurement showed that the mounting plate will fit between the rear roll bars (B and C pillar). A few bar clamps and I might finally have a tool storage solution for the back. I’ll pick up a plate tomorrow and check it out.