The Mountain Man's Jeep

MtnRanger160

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys and gals, Name is Aaron. I just bought my first Jeep last year (05 Sport) and I got to say, I'm loving it. Backstory of myself, been active duty Army for 15 years and finishing my degree at the University of Colorado then heading back to the Army as an officer. Traded down from my F150, and got this baby at a dealership close by for a great deal and had them rebuild the transmission after I found test driving it that it wouldn't go into reverse and often had trouble moving from 2nd to 3rd. It's got a 2.5" short arm kit from Rancho (as far as I can tell), BFG 33x10.5x15's (still geared 3.73 I believe - truck has NO acceleration off the line and highway driving is depressing, hi-lift jack, and that's about it.

This thing has aged like a fine wine (only 83k when I bought it) but the previous owner neglected regular maintenance and I can tell once the lift was installed he/she rode until dissatisfied. Currently, I took the blown subwoofer out with intent to upgrade the audio system later. A few months ago had some DW scare the shit out of me...found my ball joints need replaced, drag link replaced, needs new shocks (had to cut the shafts because the top bolts were seized and vice grips rendered the job obsolete!), fixed the heating issue only blowing out of defroster vent. HI-lift jack is off too and being sanded, repainted, and serviced. I owe you guys more pics, but again, just wanted to introduce myself and start contributing to the thread. I like the vibe this website gives off and everyone seems down to help without ridiculing others, I love it. Look forward to the TJ society!

Being a full time student has left me with NO time but a shit ton of parts in the garage! lol. Here's the parts out there that I'll get to right after these finals are over:

OTC Clamp w/jeep socket kit (for the ball joints obviously)
4 new ball joints
New drag link (previously replaced the tie-rod end for the pitman arm)
4" Billstein 5100's
.75" coil spacers to bring up the front
1" seat risers

I'll add to the post later with what I plan to do to it. Currently added some spot lights, Barricade bumpers, trailer hitch receiver, CAI, and throttle body spacer. The last two really did no good since it needs lower gears. Think I'll shoot for 4.88's (maybe 4.56)

if anyone out there is in the Colorado, PM me and I'd be down to head out on the trails with you. I'm out of Longmont right meow!
IMG_2753.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG

I think we've got a lot of members from Colorado, hopefully they'll see this. Great looking TJ by the way! I never get tired of the khaki color, especially with the grey hard top (they pair well).

Glad you stumbled upon this site. It's turned out nicely. No one here seems to be a total d**k like they are on some forums, and everyone seems genuinely willing to help.

I look forward to seeing what you do to your TJ next. It's looking great so far!

Reactions: DrDmoney and KCsTJ
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you won’t find many more items that need to be replaced/maintained on your jeep. I imagine Colorado is a great state to explore in a jeep.

Hey guys and gals, Name is Aaron. I just bought my first Jeep last year (05 Sport) and I got to say, I'm loving it. Backstory of myself, been active duty Army for 15 years and finishing my degree at the University of Colorado then heading back to the Army as an officer. Traded down from my F150, and got this baby at a dealership close by for a great deal and had them rebuild the transmission after I found test driving it that it wouldn't go into reverse and often had trouble moving from 2nd to 3rd. It's got a 2.5" short arm kit from Rancho (as far as I can tell), BFG 33x10.5x15's (still geared 3.73 I believe - truck has NO acceleration off the line and highway driving is depressing, hi-lift jack, and that's about it.

This thing has aged like a fine wine (only 83k when I bought it) but the previous owner neglected regular maintenance and I can tell once the lift was installed he/she rode until dissatisfied. Currently, I took the blown subwoofer out with intent to upgrade the audio system later. A few months ago had some DW scare the shit out of me...found my ball joints need replaced, drag link replaced, needs new shocks (had to cut the shafts because the top bolts were seized and vice grips rendered the job obsolete!), fixed the heating issue only blowing out of defroster vent. HI-lift jack is off too and being sanded, repainted, and serviced. I owe you guys more pics, but again, just wanted to introduce myself and start contributing to the thread. I like the vibe this website gives off and everyone seems down to help without ridiculing others, I love it. Look forward to the TJ society!

Being a full time student has left me with NO time but a shit ton of parts in the garage! lol. Here's the parts out there that I'll get to right after these finals are over:

OTC Clamp w/jeep socket kit (for the ball joints obviously)
4 new ball joints
New drag link (previously replaced the tie-rod end for the pitman arm)
4" Billstein 5100's
.75" coil spacers to bring up the front
1" seat risers

I'll add to the post later with what I plan to do to it. Currently added some spot lights, Barricade bumpers, trailer hitch receiver, CAI, and throttle body spacer. The last two really did no good since it needs lower gears. Think I'll shoot for 4.88's (maybe 4.56)

if anyone out there is in the Colorado, PM me and I'd be down to head out on the trails with you. I'm out of Longmont right meow!View attachment 27006View attachment 27007
So is OCS next for ya? ;)

Welcome to the group. Nice looking TJ. Based on your pics and the fact you have 33's, it looks more like you have a 4" lift, IMO.

Reactions: MtnRanger160
Welcome to the group. Nice looking TJ. Based on your pics and the fact you have 33's, it looks more like you have a 4" lift, IMO.

Thanks! I figured it was 4" too after measuring the front/back springs, but for the life of me I cannot find another lift kit the same as the one installed (Rancho 2.5" Rockcrawler). Eventually I would like a 4" with 35's, which is why I'm thinking to go ahead and invest in 4.88's instead of the 4.56, but I'm kinda new to lifting so I'm doing research. Bought Jim Allens differential book so hopefully I'll eventually get to that and make my mind up if i learn something. Look forward to learning from you @bobthetj03

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
Nice jeep and welcome... on the plus side of having to change a few things...its most definitely YOUR jeep now ;)

Reactions: MtnRanger160
Hey guys, just a few updates. Went to Italy over the holidays and started school again, but managed to get her back up and running 2 weeks ago.
Overall, replaced/added:
Shocks
All ball joints
drag link
2 tie rod ends
.75" coil spacers
1" seat risers
new steering damper (actually broke the other one...oops)
and new track bar
Confirmed the lift is a Rancho RockCrawler 2.5"

Holy shit it was alot of work and everything was seized or rusted and continued to whoop my ass, but at least its on all 4 wheels now. 2 problems though, steering veers off, vibrations felt, and play in the steering wheel....suspect its the upper control arms since they have extra space and look slightly mangled and I did alignment according to threads I saw here (dead on 1/16"). The steering felt loose before but I honestly think I'm just paying more attention to it now. Can I just say you guys are awesome and this forum has answers for everything. My brakes are lacking too I've noticed. Replaced the MC, rechecked the brakes, bled the brake from rear to front, and still I feel like I have to stand on the brakes to get some stopping power. Bleeder is up top on the calipers (saw few made that mistake and surprised I actually didn't). Not sure whats going on but braking is definitely in need of some suggestions.

Side note: Alot of people have issues storing Trektop NX windows and I have a solution. Probably wait until this snow goes away and I'll post a how to on it.

IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3341.JPG

I think we've got a lot of members from Colorado, hopefully they'll see this. Great looking TJ by the way! I never get tired of the khaki color, especially with the grey hard top (they pair well).

Glad you stumbled upon this site. It's turned out nicely. No one here seems to be a total d**k like they are on some forums, and everyone seems genuinely willing to help.

I look forward to seeing what you do to your TJ next. It's looking great so far!
I just bought one. Same color 2004 70K miles. I am having lots of fun with it.

@bobthetj03 brother I have to admit you were right! I measured both the front and rear coils springs to guess true lift, and the front measured 16.5 (so -12 and should be 4.5") and the rear measured 12 (so -8 and should be 4). I added the .75" spacers up front to level it out some. But still have some rake up there even after. Rancho doesn't sell a 4" version of their RockCrawler kit so maybe it's possible the previous owner upgraded to 4" coils? It's honestly always had a pull to the right but seems exacerbated by the spacers put in. I checked, not a single spacer for a BL either, though you can see a space between the frame and body in the rear wheel well. And...I found I have a CVDS and I'm almost positive a SYE in the back, plus adjustable rear uppers. Didn't think you would need either of those without extra lift past like 3" I believe. But he/she left the stock front UCA's in place, don't know why though.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Looking for insight:

The maintenance is coming along, and will be replacing the left/front u-joint and the driver side bushing this weekend. But need some insight on control arms (confirmed 4.5 caster and if I remember right pinion is about 11 or 10.5 - can't remember). Regardless, control arms are needed as my return to center is awful and I want this suspension squared away before I get some new tires on. Looking at Savvy and Currie, but can't really tell the difference between them. I don't do much off-roading (yet) but will as soon as time frees up after college. Besides these two high end ones, I looked at MC and CORE 4x4. Sitting on 4 inch lift and changing my mind to stick with 33's. Any advice?