The Mountain Man's Jeep

That looks like Tuttle Creek ORV to me! Are you still in the Manhattan area? If so, we need to meet up and go wheeling some time!
Yeah man! It's Tuttle for sure. I'm still here in MHK for like another year. Just got my Detroit TT so I may not be hitting the trails soon. You a part of FRJC? I've been watching them but haven't gotten out with the group yet.

Yeah man! It's Tuttle for sure. I'm still here in MHK for like another year. Just got my Detroit TT so I may not be hitting the trails soon. You a part of FRJC? I've been watching them but haven't gotten out with the group yet.
I am! I've only been out with them one time, but it was a blast! I'm saving up for my new lift, so I might be down for the count for a little while as well haha

Reactions: MtnRanger160
Got the Detroit True Trac in!!! Now, to dump the axle fluid and see if these shims are behind the bearing or between the bearing and housing. Next up, investing in a shop press and possibly, just possibly a carrier bearing puller set. Just trying to convince myself to spend the money on a nice puller set or just cut the bearing off. If the shims are behind the bearing I may swing for a nice clamshell set. If not, HF it is with a $50 puller set. Would be nice to have a good set for when I want to upgrade from 4.56 to a 4.88 set and some actual lockers.
IMG_1678.jpeg

Got the diff put in and tested the gear pattern after setting backlash to .004-.005. I think the patten looks ok based off what I've read and videos I've seen. Primed the axle after taking it outside and painted with Rustoleum Hammered Metal paint. I think it looks good.
IMG_1956.jpeg
IMG_1953.jpeg
IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1958.jpeg

I thought so too. The smallest shim I have is .003. But I do have smaller .001 ones that go under the bearings. I question whether or not to ride what I got or keep adjusting

You might wait for some of the more experienced gear guru's to comment. Or post over in the General Discussion area and ask for opinions.

Edit: Missed your post there yesterday

Last edited:
ALRIGHT! Well I messed with the backlash and got .005 and the gears move real smooth. Coast side is still a little deep near the toe, but I think that's the way the 4x4 shop set the gears up when I had them done a few years back. For the life of me I could not get that pattern to change on the coast side. Got everything buttoned up and the rear axle centered. Took it for a drive.....BAM! Flawless results. Gears didn't whine or grind and everything seems smooth. Tested the LSD on some road/gravel tracks I found and then hit a small incline with some loose rocks. Obviously not as good as a locker but man does it work! Can't wait for it to snow and try them out. This was the hardest job I've ever done. Thanks for @Rob5589 @Jerry Bransford @Wildman for the advice along the way. Although it took me 2 months your contributions made my efforts a little less time consuming.

Last edited: