Florida The move to Florida is on!

Wind and rain here now, albeit not much of either. Prognostication hasn't changed. It appears to be making a beeline for my house! Time to take a shower - maybe I should just go stand outside.

Wind at 29, gusts to 40. The eye is now projected to pass over us +- a bit. Both the rain and wind probabilities now show a notch around 5-6AM Thursday AM - which is the eye passover. Wind still expected to peak here at just under 60, rain 1.17 inches. Interestingly, the NWS is issuing multiple flash flood watches for darn near everywhere EXCEPT Merritt Island - I guess we're better drained.

Reactions: RINC
Really windy right now since we are on the north side of the storm which creates the whip around affect. Lots and lots of rain. A ton of standing water in my yard. We still have several hours until this will calm down a bit. Ian is currently a Cat1. So far so good here..

Last edited:
It looked like Winter Haven and Plant City took a direct hit. Definitely reach out.

@Jerry Bransford and @Zorba, anything to report
Just hear back from my brother. My nephew is ok house is also ok just no power and no water. His yard had lots of old oak trees and most of them fell but thankfully none fell on the house
IMG_20220929_092807.jpg

IMG_20220929_092812.jpg

IMG_20220929_092815.jpg

Just got up. Looks like we're still in the eye, wind is expected to peak at about 37 in the next hour or so then everything dies back. Much to my joy, part of my rickety old fence blew down. I wish all of it had, but I'll take what I can get. I actually had an appt. with a fencing contractor today that was postponed til next week because of all this. Maybe I can get some ins money - or maybe not. Worth a try...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Probably the ONLY damage on the entire island - the posts are rotted off at the base, and I knew it wasn't long for the world anyway - hence my contact with a fencing contractor just last week. This same fence, plus a bunch more of it blew over 5 years ago with another "I" hurricane, "Irma". I put it back up at that time, and the posts are already rotted off again! Will be replaced with vinyl...

Pile of detritus in the foreground is construction scraps I'm going to use to build a shed.
DSC00961.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00964.jpg

Probably the ONLY damage on the entire island - the posts are rotted off at the base, and I knew it wasn't long for the world anyway - hence my contact with a fencing contractor just last week. This same fence, plus a bunch more of it blew over 5 years ago with another "I" hurricane, "Irma". I put it back up at that time, and the posts are already rotted off again! Will be replaced with vinyl...

Pile of detritus in the foreground is construction scraps I'm going to use to build a shed.
That sucks, reminds me of 2004/2005 season. Relatively new house and I put up a new wood privacy fence a year before. Francis came took half down. Jeanne came took the rest down. I put it back up and Following year Wilma took it down once again lol I patched it up as best as I could since I didn't want to spend tons of $$$ to replace panels. It lasted until I sold the house 2012 lol.

That sucks, reminds me of 2004/2005 season. Relatively new house and I put up a new wood privacy fence a year before. Francis came took half down. Jeanne came took the rest down. I put it back up and Following year Wilma took it down once again lol I patched it up as best as I could since I didn't want to spend tons of $$$ to replace panels. It lasted until I sold the house 2012 lol.
This neighborhood was originally equipped with 4 foot chain link. If the neighbor on the one side didn't have a bunch of crap in his side yard, I'd rather have that. OTOH, 6 foot is the max height allowed, and I'd put up an 8 or 10 in the back if I could. Neighbor on the other side I wouldn't even bother with a fence, his yard is beautiful!

This neighborhood was originally equipped with 4 foot chain link. If the neighbor on the one side didn't have a bunch of crap in his side yard, I'd rather have that. OTOH, 6 foot is the max height allowed, and I'd put up an 8 or 10 in the back if I could. Neighbor on the other side I wouldn't even bother with a fence, his yard is beautiful!

Oh wow 6 foot max dang that sucks. My current house is in a residential agriculture area with property raging from 1.25 acres and up. I could go to 10 foot fence if I wanted too but we have so much distance between neighbors I don't really need a big fence. My back has a very tall areca hedge probably 30 plus foor tall.

We have had two rentals on the Caloosahatchee River in Ft Myers for over twenty years which have been occupied by the same folks all those years. Yesterday they were severely damaged. The loss of our friends homes is devastating. We are trying to help them attempt to salvage what they can and hopefully be able to remain, finding another place to live will almost be impossible. Our daughter lives in Cape Coral and thank God is safe. No power, no water, no roof , but safe.

Wow I was so lucky so much around me was bad, only one shrub ripped from the ground and a small fence around my garbage cans also cable box ripped off the wall, got it all fixed today now I get to work on getting the 35 schools I run the custodial and grounds dept. ready for school on Monday. Trees are the biggest issues with some flooding.