Florida The move to Florida is on!

We have had two rentals on the Caloosahatchee River in Ft Myers for over twenty years which have been occupied by the same folks all those years. Yesterday they were severely damaged. The loss of our friends homes is devastating. We are trying to help them attempt to salvage what they can and hopefully be able to remain, finding another place to live will almost be impossible. Our daughter lives in Cape Coral and thank God is safe. No power, no water, no roof , but safe.

I’m sorry to hear that but so thankful everyone is ok. Materials can be replaced. The images coming from south Fl are mind browning and heartbreaking.

Orlando has neighborhoods completely under water. Air boat and helicopter rescues taking place as we speak. This storm will not be forgotten.

Probably the ONLY damage on the entire island - the posts are rotted off at the base, and I knew it wasn't long for the world anyway - hence my contact with a fencing contractor just last week. This same fence, plus a bunch more of it blew over 5 years ago with another "I" hurricane, "Irma". I put it back up at that time, and the posts are already rotted off again! Will be replaced with vinyl...

Pile of detritus in the foreground is construction scraps I'm going to use to build a shed.
View attachment 362988

View attachment 362989

View attachment 362990

View attachment 362991
@Apparition @John Cooper - no sad face necessary. I literally had an appt with a fencing contractor today to discuss a replacement vinyl fence! Said appt. was postponed until next week. With the wind blowing it down, I might get a small insurance settlement, and even if I don't, it makes removal of the old one that much easier! Just hope it doesn't take a damn year to get it replaced - nobody in Florida is in any hurry to get anything done.

Exact same fence being put back up when Irma knocked it over 5 years ago:

0.JPG

Probably the ONLY damage on the entire island - the posts are rotted off at the base, and I knew it wasn't long for the world anyway - hence my contact with a fencing contractor just last week. This same fence, plus a bunch more of it blew over 5 years ago with another "I" hurricane, "Irma". I put it back up at that time, and the posts are already rotted off again! Will be replaced with vinyl...

Pile of detritus in the foreground is construction scraps I'm going to use to build a shed.
View attachment 362988

View attachment 362989

View attachment 362990

View attachment 362991
The wood rotting out so quickly makes me wonder if the fence installer used pressure treated wood which holds up better to a lot of moisture exposure. If not I can only recommend you specify that for your upcoming fence installation.

The wood rotting out so quickly makes me wonder if the fence installer used pressure treated wood which holds up better to a lot of moisture exposure. If not I can only recommend you specify that for your upcoming fence installation.
I'm not using wood at all - vinyl is the "big thing" here, and with good reason.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm not using wood at all - vinyl is the "big thing" here, and with good reason.
Oh yeah, I forgot you already said you're going with vinyl. Good choice. We don't have anything but long runs of aluminum fencing on the sides of our property, it's like wrought iron but it doesn't rust and has next to zero wind resistance.

Reactions: John Cooper
Oh yeah, I forgot you already said you're going with vinyl. Good choice. We don't have anything but long runs of aluminum fencing on the sides of our property, it's like wrought iron but it doesn't rust and has next to zero wind resistance.
What goes into the ground? I'd be worried if the aluminum contacted the ground. Otherwise, sounds great!

What goes into the ground? I'd be worried if the aluminum contacted the ground. Otherwise, sounds great!
I don't know yet, I haven't had any repairs needed. We're going to add a gated section across the back to keep the 2 year old grand kids from falling into the pond, I'll find out then. Whatever it is it must work well, it's pretty much all I see in Fleming Island.

Resurrecting this thread - HEY @Jerry Bransford - Nicole's heading your way!

Actually, its pretty much a non-event here. We're supposedly just past peak wind right now as I'm writing this. Another section of the fence is trying to blow down, and we're on generator power - as is usual for this neighborhood, my side of the street is dark, but the other side has power. Gonna try going back to sleep (05:43 right now), but that darn fence makes a clunk about every minute or so...

Anybody else having fun?

Of course, the fucking thing blows in on trash day so we don't have trash service this week, exactly like last time - 1st world problems for sure!

• Wow
Reactions: John Cooper
Nicole was a dud lol I am in Palm Beach County and we were on the eyewall last night and we didn't even get tropical force winds. Ok maybe my trash can got knocked over and a few more pine needles on the ground. It was mainly a rain maker for us.

Idiot in Jax opened shelters and declared an "emergency" over a TS that isn't even going near there. Bunch of minor detritus on the ground everywhere - the next door neighbor's tree was partially destroyed by Ian, this one finished it off. Blew over several potted plants, one small plastic chest, added damage to my already scheduled to be replaced damaged fence, and blew the covers off the Adirondack chairs - oh the humanity! I've ridden my bicycle in winds no weaker than this one...

Reactions: JeepNWilly
Idiot in Jax opened shelters and declared an "emergency" over a TS that isn't even going near there. Bunch of minor detritus on the ground everywhere - the next door neighbor's tree was partially destroyed by Ian, this one finished it off. Blew over several potted plants, one small plastic chest, added damage to my already scheduled to be replaced damaged fence, and blew the covers off the Adirondack chairs - oh the humanity! I've ridden my bicycle in winds no weaker than this one...

The news down here were telling people to board up since Monday posting old pictures of people ransacking Home Depot.

My pool is up three inches in Sarasota...My pool cage fell apart during Ian. I think I'm looking at 17K to buy a new one. New shingle roof 28K. Life in Florida is getting expensive. Homeowners insurance 4K a year. They only good thing is property taxes $1,800 yr.

My pool is up three inches in Sarasota...My pool cage fell apart during Ian. I think I'm looking at 17K to buy a new one. New shingle roof 28K. Life in Florida is getting expensive. Homeowners insurance 4K a year. They only good thing is property taxes $1,800 yr.

Palm Beach County property taxes are through the roof. I pay $5275 insurance is 4k

Damn, thats cheap property tax. I'