Florida The move to Florida is on!

Would that be in the yellow pages, or should he go to Zorba's in Tarpon Springs?
Zorba's in Tarpon Springs burned down. I don't know if its been rebuilt or not. I'm in regular communications with a dancer who was the house dancer at that restaurant for many years - but she's in Chicago now.

I've been to Zorba's in the 70's a few times. My wife and I and another couple were there one night when an anniversary party was being celebrated for a Greek couple married many years. The elderly couple started the dance, family members joined them one at a time throwing money over the couple, and toasting with shots of booze. Eventually the audience was welcomed to the dance floor and we were dancing in large circles around the old couple. The circles would go left, then right, then in to the center and out, over and over. It was great fun.

Last edited:
I've been to Zorba's in the 70's a few times. My wife and I and another couple were there one night when an anniversary party was being celebrated for a Greek couple married many years. The elderly couple started the dance, family members joined them one at a time throwing money over the couple, and toasting with shots of booze. Eventually the audience was welcomed to the dance floor and we were dancing in large circles around the old couple. The circles would go left, then right, then in to the center and out, over and over. It was great fun.
OPA! I was a Greek folk dancer for many years, which is the genesis of my stage/use name.

Awesome. What is OPA?
Its a Greek word that kinda sorta means "Watch out!" or "Hey look!", but is used more as an exclamation of joy. Belly Dancers will use it also - if one likes what the dancer is doing, you can say Opa! Or in Greek Folk Dancing, we'd yell Opa! just before we'd do a jump or something spectacular.

It gets down into the 40's here in this northern half of Florida, cold enough for a fireplace for me. 😊
In the daytime?

We drop below freezing at nite a few nites a year, and may have a week or so (total) of high 40s/low 50s in the daytime - enough to turn on the heat at nite, but not deal with a fireplace - but you enjoy it!

There'll be natives with winter coats on when its in the 60s, and I'm in a T-shirt, flip flops and either a calf length skirt or shorts and be perfectly comfortable. "This is a warm day in California!"

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
It gets down into the 40's here in this northern half of Florida, cold enough for a fireplace for me. 😊
And with FL’s humidity, 40s is pretty miserable. That’s coming from a guy who grew up where it’s routinely -20F, and the coldest temp I‘ve experienced is -54F! Some of my most uncomfortable outdoor experiences were just above freezing, with high humidity.

That's a good point - all the newer houses here have what I call "snow roofs", which are ridiculous and a liability in hurricane country! Drive up the cost of the house too.

Are you just referring to steep pitches? It surprised me how all the new construction in Oklahoma is 10/12+ but front range Colorado was all 4/12. I think in those areas it mostly came down to cost. Oklahomans don't have to spend $50k in permits and water/sewer tap fees so they have it to spend on extra lumber and labor because it makes the house more impressive looking.

Specific examples - the architectural guidelines where we're building sets a minimum of 9/12, and where we almost built in CO in 2019 it took a lot of arguing with our designer just to bump it up to 6.