The new guy

PHILLYDEAN

Hello everyone,

So I just picked up an 03 Tj and my buddy told me that this is the forum to join. This Jeep is in decent shape but it has a hobble starting at about 50 then stops around 60 so front end work is where I’m going to start. If anyone has any suggestion I’m all ears. Unfortunately this isn’t my only project I also have a lincoln in working on so I need to make wise purchases.

CF257EBF-5E83-4A47-A26E-0CDFAD80F093.jpeg

565E7620-F22C-4730-A160-A3C6E83CC76B.jpeg

If you mean your new TJ has a 50-50 mph wobble, usually called a shimmy, that's pretty much guaranteed to be nothing more than an out of balance tire or a bad tire. And if your tires were recently balanced, that doesn't mean a thing... not all shops will take the time required to get them balanced well enough to stop speed sensitive shimmies.

Also check its toe-in which is easily done at home. There are several threads in this forum on how to do that which requires nothing more than a tape measure, wrench, and pliers.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Reactions: PHILLYDEAN
If you mean your new TJ has a 50-50 mph wobble, usually called a shimmy, that's pretty much guaranteed to be nothing more than an out of balance tire or a bad tire. And if your tires were recently balanced, that doesn't mean a thing... not all shops will take the time required to get them balanced well enough to stop speed sensitive shimmies.

Also check its toe-in which is easily done at home. There are several threads in this forum on how to do that which requires nothing more than a tape measure, wrench, and pliers.
Thanks a lot my buddy has a tire balancer I will head over this weekend.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks a lot my buddy has a tire balancer I will head over this weekend.
Make sure everyone knows that the bigger the tire, the more perfect its balance has to be to eliminate a speed sensitive shimmy. I went to my local Discount Tire store three times in the same day before they finally spent enough time to get the tires balanced well enough (perfect) to eliminate my 50 mph shimmy.

Hello everyone,

So I just picked up an 03 Tj and my buddy told me that this is the forum to join. This Jeep is in decent shape but it has a hobble starting at about 50 then stops around 60 so front end work is where I’m going to start. If anyone has any suggestion I’m all ears. Unfortunately this isn’t my only project I also have a lincoln in working on so I need to make wise purchases.

View attachment 62529

View attachment 62530
Welcome to the forum.
Love the Continental, have any of your neighbors complained?

Hello everyone,

View attachment 62529

View attachment 62530

Welcome to the group!! That Lincoln is sweet!! Love that model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Nice TJ love the darker tan softtop...I see you have the guru @Jerry Bransford helping you out already :thumbsup:
As for that US steel Lincoln Continental, just wow...is that a 62' ? and Im guessing its 'bagged' ?

Great site as you have already seen, Welcome and looking forward to more of your posts, and yeah, super cool ole Lincoln as well.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome. Nice score on the '03 TJ - looks like its in great shape:)

Love that Continental:) Reminds me of the one "Neo" was riding in, when the girl sucked the crawdad out of his naval with that tube-thingie ("Matrix").

Reactions: PHILLYDEAN