The New Jeep Pickup Trucks

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all, I know I've been kinda quiet lately. The company I work for has been acquired by the big blue M and now as a part of the "Big Tech", there's much less free time in the days it seems.

Anyway, finally quieting down for a little bit and wanted to stop in and say "hey", and get your thoughts on something:

The new Jeep Wrangler/Pickup Truck?

I've seen a lot of them around over the past year or so here in middle TN, and I am withholding my thoughts here thus far as I don't want to taint the thoughts of others (or possibly insult them inadvertently). So...what say ye all? Is this a good thing? Would you buy one? Pros? Cons? Would love to hear your thoughts...

:)

Man we have a ton of threads on it. It was hyped to be a total vehicle solution, which was really oversell.

Judging by what I see on the road, I would say it has been modestly successful.

Reactions: CBJason
  1. Is this a good thing?
  2. Would you buy one?
  3. Pros?
  4. Cons?
  1. I think it's a good thing.
  2. I wouldn't buy one at this time. If I did it would have to come with a factory 5.7 Hemi, factory Ultimate Dana 60s and increased payload and towing capacity.
  3. It's a Jeep truck with some of the capability of a Wrangler.
  4. It has unremarkable payload, towing capacity and powerplant.

Man we have a ton of threads on it. It was hyped to be a total vehicle solution, which was really oversell.

Judging by what I see on the road, I would say it has been modestly successful.
Sorry did a search but maybe my keywords were off.

For the price, I’d pass. There’s other ways I’d rather spend the money that it would take to get me into one that’s equipped like I’d want. Instead I’d get a full size truck or save some coin on a different brand’s midsize.

Reactions: Tldelaney
My wife and I will likely buy one of these. It'll probably be the diesel Rubicon.

No way I'd get one with the V6 3.6 Pentastar. I HATE V6 engines, but we'd get the Eco-diesel. The problem with the ED, besides being a V6, which is a MAJOR negative IMO, the emissions will have to be deleted and the Jeep body design limits proper cooling for the diesel. Again this is a bit of an issue, but emissions delete and a tune will likely eliminate all of these issues and the for those of you wary about new diesels, you should be, because the emissions equipment is a nightmare. They plague us at work, but I might add that even the emissions items on the gas engines are leading to lower engine life compared to maybe a decade prior.

I might add that the new transmissions and their controls are another negative of a lot of new vehicles. I think the biggest lie from the OEMs are the fluid change intervals. Often comparing temperature and fluid degradation charts from the fluid manufacturers and comparing that to the operating temperatures you'll find there's a disconnect between the 2 and often the OEM is using a lower temperature chart to make recommendations and this is leading to a lot of transmission issues across the board. Typically the OEM will get you out of warranty without issues, but just barely. I'm not certain that the new transmissions might need to be flushed every 30k miles to be safe, but I wouldn't go more than 50k miles for normal driving or risk some damage.

I hated the Gladiator at first, but after parking next to one in our Tacoma T/X Baja, I like them a bit more, because it's so similar to the the Tacoma, which we like a lot besides the lack of torque, poor fuel economy and crappy transmission (this may be Hiluxed in the future).

This will mostly be my wife's truck at some point and it probably won't see many miles, but I'll end up towing a bit over the rated value and more similar to the Ram 1500 on occasions and at some point I may swap out the rear axle, but likely not until I have an issue. My Ram 2500 will do most of our towing, but I want something that will handle our 6,000 lb camper and I need to tow about 7,000 lbs intermittently throughout the year but my Ram 2500 with 350k mi is starting to show its wear, besides the engine and transmission which may as well be brand new and I need something that can handle a few of the common duties I need during minor repairs.

A truck is pretty much a must for me at this point and a 4 door is practically a must have and I love Jeeps too. Having the option to get 30 MPG out a truck I can tow with is pretty nice too, because it'll also make some of our family trips and my work trips a bit easier too. We are going to wait for the market to calm down a bit before we get one and I plan to get one with under 50k miles to be relatively safe that the transmission hasn't been damaged.

Can you show us on the doll where the jeep pick-up hurt you?
1626273020657.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SvtLdr
Only an idiot would say or believe that there is such a thing as a "total" solution in a vehicle. I won't ever own one but they are highly popular around here.
They are an interesting offering. More off-road capable out of the box than other comparable “trucks”.

You can get a lot more truck for the money but lose that capability.

If I had unlimited money I’d love to have one because they are interesting to me but since I don’t I couldn’t justify one for myself.

Reactions: SvtLdr and rasband
Too much car, not enough truck. Double cab and a vestigial bed, like most other "trucks" these days. Never mind the "technology", which I wouldn't have on a bet.

They are an interesting offering. More off-road capable out of the box than other comparable “trucks”.

You can get a lot more truck for the money but lose that capability.

If I had unlimited money I’d love to have one because they are interesting to me but since I don’t I couldn’t justify one for myself.
I don't know why they confuse anyone. All you have to do is look at the genesis and logic behind the concept to figure out how they arrived at that product.

Jeep owners have been clamoring for more than 2 doors for decades. Fine, here is the Unlimited ya'll been begging for and no one can argue with that success. They are every where. Then they addressed the "we need to be able to haul some stuff when we go offroad, maybe not through JV but the family wants to go on a rougher than paved road camping trip, spend a few days in the wilderness and we need 4wd to get there.

We wanna toss our dirt bike in the back and get closer to the dirt and take more than 2 folks along for the ride.

I like to hit all the local trails and I'm not fond of digging bags of mulch out of the back seat of the old lady's station wagon.

They have a lot of capability that fulfills the needs of a wide variety of situations. I'm one that believes everyone should own at least one vehicle with something like a truck bed on it just for hauling shit that is a pain in the ass to get in and out of a normal vehicle so it makes sense to me.

Too much car, not enough truck. Double cab and a vestigial bed, like most other "trucks" these days. Never mind the "technology", which I wouldn't have on a bet.
And the other way to look at one is they are too much truck and not enough car.

What interests the wife and me is that we can get a Jeep and a compact truck and get almost 30 mpg, once its deleted and tuned.

The engine and transmission is more capable than the ratings suggest and the torque is where it should be for an on road and off-road vehicle. Like I said before and especially for the cost there's no way I'd go with the 3.6L for a $50k properly trimmed vehicle and if Jeep does anything with the EV or Hybrid, we've been there and done that and we're licking our wounds so that's not happening again.

A V8 would make the most sense for most, but cooling is going to be an issue with the Gladiator body and even the diesel is a compromise. The V8 also has too much HP for such a vehicle I believe that it would be an expensive option and negate many benefits for a compact truck.

Therefore the only true option for the Gladiator IMO is the diesel, which has had unspeakable things done to it that should have someone put on trial for such molestation.

They're kind of a joke around here. In the logging/mining/fishing town full of F350/3500/etc. where a truck is needed, that Jeep wheelbarrow is just what you'd buy to get your daughter to collage/university. No man would ever want to be seen even looking at that overpriced monstrosity.
It tries to be a Jeep and a truck . . . . ends up being neither.
;) 🇨🇦