The New Jeep Pickup Trucks

I was really excited that they had an inline 6 option for the Silverado and a diesel to boot. A little more digging and the oil pump is belt driven and the transmission must be removed at 150k mi to check it. WTF?

Those extra 2 doors are convenient. As is the cheap credit. It's so hard to justify spending cash in the bank or to take away from some investment with some of these loans. We got my wife's Tacoma in a hurry, but I couldn't find a better price and probably won't find a better price for a year or so and the interest rate is much less than inflation and the returns I've got on practically all of my investments. I did want my wife to get a 1 ton truck but besides I have to admit it's convenient. It's super nice around the boat ramp too. We have most of our gear in the truck bed and prep our boats really quickly and we're in and out faster than ever at the boat ramp. The Jeep, I've got stuff on the rack and in the hatch and we're stuffed. In my 3/4 truck I keep a step stool handy for better access to the bed with a topper. Of course we both kinda wish it was a Gladiator, though I'm not sure I'd get rid of the Tacoma even if we do get a Gladiator.

I keep looking toward the horizon though and it looks like storm clouds. Even with the EVs there's stuff that makes sense, but the industry seems like its shying away from practicality and really pushing these things as like the 4th car in your home fleet. At least put like a little generator onboard and 5 or 10 gallon of fuel to recharge my batteries if I get stuck, but almost none offer something reasonable. It's the crazy hybrid or all EV. Hybrid kinda sucks from my experience, but it's not terrible. It's just overly complicated and I don't think I see much future in the hybrids.

My previous statement was not meant to exclude myself from taking advantage of cheap credit. I wouldn't have Tacoma daily driver without it.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
My previous statement was not meant to exclude myself from taking advantage of cheap credit. I wouldn't have Tacoma daily driver without it.
I've said it for years that I wouldn't buy a vehicle on credit and I think that's a good mindset and I think it makes one more stingy when they go to buy a vehicle BUT I think you can get a better vehicle by spending a little bit more if you were going to say skip features that tend to increase resale price and speed of resale and if you get something you're going to love and keep even after the wheels fall off. Buying strategically used and selling often is probably the best way to go, but that's just not me. I've sold only 2 vehicles out of all the vehicles I've "collected".

And I've been partial to diesels so often because the price they go for tends to be more than the initial paid price at least lately and of course I like the torque curve, which is a better metric to judge a truck engine. New diesels aren't the diesels of lore, but they have a lot of torque for the displacement at least and pretty good tank range, which is actually more important to me than mpg, but I don't want it getting crazy and I've used so many gas cans in the field to refuel stuff that I'm really tired of gasoline.

Our vehicles aren't $20k anymore if, say you need a truck fairly often and that's a lot of money to have on the hip doing nothing.

Also something I've been considering when offering advice to those buying new or relatively new vehicles that keep vehicles too long and that's when you go to buy something look to see if someone like Jasper and some other remanufacturers reman those engines/transmissions. Replacing engines with a reman unit with warranty can really extend that vehicle life if you keep it for a long time.

Now it's weird for some vehicles. Our Prius is like a $4k engine from Toyota or a $600 engine with 50k mi from Japan. No one remans those engines and few shops will touch those because $4k for an engine is crazy for a hybrid, because there's too many other expensive parts in a high mileage vehicle and few reputable shops will swap in used engines and right now they're so busy and/or under-staffed all the ones I talk with just want to replace batteries, radiators, water pumps, starters, etc, because it's easy money. Gears and transmissions, etc I've been getting very expensive quotes and I'm guessing its why take the risk when you're working OT and you're charging a fee for parts and $100+/hr in shop labor.

When I shop for a vehicle, my first priority is the engine, closely followed by the transmission. Nobody cares anymore - they're apparently all concerned with smartphone stuff and don't give a damn about the drivetrain other than it must output insane amounts of HP.
Amen , I totally agree with your thinking, ( Well, NOT the Veil and loop earrings and stuff :oops:)
:ROFLMAO: but seriously how many of us are left ??
Most folks only care about what F ning touch screen is in the dash , These folks don't change their own oil, they dont even know how to check the oil level !
Get on the Bus peasant !
But the Marketing types know this, and will fill their pockets with money from dumbass customers.
I am thinking things will continue to degrade until folks with our knowledge level die off, and BIG G will have their way with everything!😠

Reactions: Zorba
Diesels are not popular here because we are wholly fucked up when it comes to car power plants. The vast majority of potential diesel purchasers want the power and throttle response of a more than healthy V-8 and the economy and emissions of a shitbox. Attempting to meet those demands by the manufacturers does nothing but screw up the engines. Meanwhile the rest of the world does just fine with low horsepower low revving, moderate torque diesels even in cargo vehicles because they don't know any better and it just plain works.

Smartphones have nothing to do with that. We were way fucked up regarding engines in vehicles long before the smartphone became popular.

I tried to get the owner of the ambulance company to look at the high top Mercedes version of the Sprinter when they first hit the US because they had a diesel offering. He looked at the HP and torque numbers and said he would never buy anything that under powered. In the meantime, they work perfectly everywhere else.
My new diesel is phenomenal. Pulled over the Ike a few minutes ago and it was like there was no trailer there at all. Passing cars the whole way up.

Reactions: tworley and Zorba
Diesels are not popular here because we are wholly fucked up when it comes to car power plants. The vast majority of potential diesel purchasers want the power and throttle response of a more than healthy V-8 and the economy and emissions of a shitbox. Attempting to meet those demands by the manufacturers does nothing but screw up the engines. Meanwhile the rest of the world does just fine with low horsepower low revving, moderate torque diesels even in cargo vehicles because they don't know any better and it just plain works.

Smartphones have nothing to do with that. We were way fucked up regarding engines in vehicles long before the smartphone became popular.

I tried to get the owner of the ambulance company to look at the high top Mercedes version of the Sprinter when they first hit the US because they had a diesel offering. He looked at the HP and torque numbers and said he would never buy anything that under powered. In the meantime, they work perfectly everywhere else.
You are absolutely correct, and its amazing how that works, huh? The rest of the world "makes do" or "gets by" with much smaller, less powerful engines - diesel or gas. Here, its called "underpowered". I've had several vehicles with less than 100 hp - a couple or three WAY less than 100 HP - and they got me where I needed to go and accelerated zippily enough! I've always said that anything over 100 HP in a passenger car is just a waste.

Smartphones are just the latest symptom of the overall disease - but not the cause as you rightly point out.

Yeah... I Agree ! it really sucks to be in this ," lesser of evils " situation.
Dude, I so much just want to be like a hunter/gatherer hippy on my farm and left alone and build structures on the farm from the resources on the farm and teach my future kids the same while also reading the true classical literature and the Bible, and there's a particular party that has gone CRAZY and wants to make all my decisions for me and that's been very evident in the last year and a half or so. And they seem to be parroted by most of the "news" organizations with the same corporate ties and strangely anyone disagreeing with them is banned on Social media platforms....o_O

Remember all that stuff they said you could keep.. Or wouldn't do.. or didn't want? It has made primary voting the only difficult voting I do.

My Jeep My Choice....:ROFLMAO:

I'm a Libertarian - slightly right of center, but Libertarian all the same. Which means I don't really like either "side" and they don't like/want me! I'm OK with that. Both major parties are parties of slavery - choose your preferred form. People don't want true freedom, they just want fair masters.

You are absolutely correct, and its amazing how that works, huh? The rest of the world "makes do" or "gets by" with much smaller, less powerful engines - diesel or gas. Here, its called "underpowered". I've had several vehicles with less than 100 hp - a couple or three WAY less than 100 HP - and they got me where I needed to go and accelerated zippily enough! I've always said that anything over 100 HP in a passenger car is just a waste.

Smartphones are just the latest symptom of the overall disease - but not the cause as you rightly point out.
In Taiwan and India where I was at a bit for work, most of the big trucks there had engines smaller than the 1.9 VW TDIs. They were tiny.

We were installing some equipment in India and some of the loads were in the 50 to 100 ton range and I cannot remember how they were able to accomplish it. Now their "roads" in India that we were using , you really couldn't do more than 50mph.

In the US when run loads like that we trailers with like a million axles, dropped decks, stuff that folds out for more axles, flaggers, permits, etc. I just wonder how they moved the cattle in the roads when they did it. Also I seldom saw any loads that were tied down.

In Taiwan a family of 4 would easily fit on a moped with a 40lb LP tank.

In Taiwan a family of 4 would easily fit on a moped with a 40lb LP tank.
I've seen similar in Greece. Another favorite is the gasoline roto tiller pulling a little seat contraption rolling down the road at about 5MPH.

My 120 HP Mercedes Diesel engine was apparently used in busses in Europe...

I'm a Libertarian - slightly right of center, but Libertarian all the same. Which means I don't really like either "side" and they don't like/want me! I'm OK with that. Both major parties are parties of slavery - choose your preferred form. People don't want true freedom, they just want fair masters.
I've tended toward Libertarian, but I also think we need just enough critical thinking skills and knowledge of how we got here so we don't go backwards and ruin our progress.

I was watching the Last Dance the other day and I could remember how awesome it was watching the Dream Team and stuff as a kid and MJ was draped in the flag to cover up the Reebok logo. Dude things have changed. The chants the cadre had with us during PT and road marches in ROTC would probably have had us arrested and retroactively charged with insurrection because we weren't too kindly with Commies.

My new diesel is phenomenal. Pulled over the Ike a few minutes ago and it was like there was no trailer there at all. Passing cars the whole way up.
I drive like such an old man now. I used to drive like a bat out of hell for real, I'd regularly jump up to over 160 on the highway and often cruise at 140 mph like I was on the Autobahn. I had multiple lawyers and I think I got some crazy number of tickets 1 year and rode a wheelie right by a cop on multiple occasions and once on purpose (the only time I didn't get a cop attempting to pull me over for it too). Then that stuff turned off like a light switch and I like cruising slow and waving to people or experimenting with getting better MPG.

Now if I accelerate when towing to pass someone it's typically because their speed is fluctuating too drastically for me to stay behind them and I tend to accelerate and get a fair amount in front and then drop my speed back down.

When I first swapped the Cummins in the TJ, I would try and run 65 mph sometimes on the highway, but being so used to the 4.0 I'd stop paying attention and then I'd look down and be doing like 85 or 90. It takes time but the little diesel slowly adds speed, but that can kinda suck if you're not paying attention and let your speed drop. Plus a small turbo charged engine can drop the RPMs and get you at a drastically different spot on the torque curve. With the new gears that's pretty much a non-issue but with 3.07s it was annoying at times. My 3/4 ton will really move if you're not constantly shifting and its the low output version with only 250 hp.

I was thinking of actually getting a tune for the 3/4 to bump that up a bit, but I think the issue I had last outing with my camper had to do with a destroyed wheel bearing and completely worn out steering linkage assembly. It wasn't shaking much and what it did I thought was from my mud tires, but my MPG dropped to 10-11 mpg and it wasn't pulling steep the grades the way it typically does when I'm pulling one of our small tractors.

Now if I accelerate when towing to pass someone it's typically because their speed is fluctuating too drastically for me to stay behind them and I tend to accelerate and get a fair amount in front and then drop my speed back down.
yet another pet peeve: Pick a speed, ANY speed, and drive it. Only thing worse is a "blinky", somebody always tapping the brakes - their brake lites become meaningless which is a dangerous situation. I get around them when I can, or if I can't, I'll drop WAAAY back.

yet another pet peeve: Pick a speed, ANY speed, and drive it. Only thing worse is a "blinky", somebody always tapping the brakes - their brake lites become meaningless which is a dangerous situation. I get around them when I can, or if I can't, I'll drop WAAAY back.
Zorba, How are we going to train you to driver the Cup Series ?
Blinkys condition you to drive behind a car with no brake lights !
Come on man, Daytona will be here before you know it!:p

Kickin the tires around the internet, it looks like Jeep is gonna be drinking the cool-aid and getting rid of the diesel and possibly their V8s just a bit later. So I think the Gladiator is only going to have a very small window of properly equipped Gladiators (I'm even doubting the V8 even makes it). Considering, from an engineer's perspective that deals with a lot of logistics, this is NUTS, but I see their perspective that they have a gun to their head and we're mostly idiots and will accept what we're given, especially if it accelerates quickly, plus the price is going to be so outrageous that us peasants will only lease the vehicles anyway.

Reading that news, I am a little bit more in the mood to get one of these Gladiators with the correct type of fuel. I'm really not against EV, but not for something that's gonna be in rough terrain away from the grid that doesn't fit in the back of my truck. If I go down the rabbit hole, which we did with hybrid and I didn't care for the ending, I'll be grabbing something cheaper than a Tesla or Jeep EV and see if I can't build a nice genset for it somehow. I've been looking at Chinese diesels and stuff, so maybe there's something reasonable that doesn't have to run on unicorn dust. Of course it'll be 10 years probably to just figure out a type of plug to use to recharge, so I probably shouldn't hold my breath.