The Official Jeep Wrangler JL 392 V8 Discussion Thread

I just hope they stick a V8 in the Gladiator. Doesn't even have to be a 392, a simple 5.7L will do just fine, Jeep. I'd rather have one with a 5.7L than whatever POS Fiat eco-diesel they plan on putting in it. Probably the same one that has been a nightmare in the Grand Cherokees and Dodge Rams.
I agree 💯. The non V8 power plants in modern FCA vehicles are less than stellar to say the least.

If the price is around the 75k mark ... how many of these do you think would really sell?.. and if so do y’all think anyone is really gunna “ rock crawl” with them? Just a question of curiosity.. would it sell like the SRT Grand Cherokee?

I will say that its impressive - but it should be for the doubtlessly astronomical price. But no manual kills it for me, no 2 door kills it for me, and most especially that damn touchscreen kills it for me. But if "Jeep listens" like this video would have one believe, maybe they'll rethink some of it. With that said, its a good start!

I'll take this over the Bronco any day. It certainly is piquing my interest as I have a weakness for 4x4's and fast cars. This exploits both. FML--I must resist.

Apparently we won't be getting it in aus anyway unfortunately

Oh I think if they sell in the US well (they will) Jeep Australia would be keen. Down here these things would sell well, saw something last night where modified 75 series Cruisers are getting well into the $250k range when modified so a v8 Wrangler for low $100k would be fine.

Also, to their credit Jeep Australia have done a run of SWB Rubicons which haven't been available locally for ages.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but my thoughts are that this will be an uber-expensive specialty vehicle that's intended to be low production, similar to the Trackhawk Grand Cherokee. There's info on all the frame strengthening they had to do in order to have it hold up to the 6.4L. If Jeep simply wanted to add a V8 to the normal line-up of JL's they likely would've just used the 5.7L. I'm sure dealerships in their typical douche fashion will mark it up a crazy amount too.

I mean in all fairness, it's not like you need a 392 V8 to rock crawl :LOL:

Sounds like they're going more for the "desert runner" thing that Ford has done.
It makes ~80% of its peak torque right off idle. Once you rock crawl with more power, you never want to go back. Like the 2.5/2.4 L guys who have never driven the 4.0, ignorance is bliss.

A 4.0L has 190 hp add in 1/2 tons/ 1 tons, big tires, heavier wheels auto trans, and a transfer case, you might be putting 90hp to the wheels....

It’s amazing that we add bigger tires and wheels, bigger axles, and never address the loss of power. Understandably, the 4.0 isnt cheap to get power out of.

With the weight of the JLU, the big tires, the larger cast wheels, the bigger axles, you would be surprised with how much of that 470 hp/tq makes it to the wheels.

I like it, but I'm certain it will exceed my vehicle spending constraints. I'd spend the cash on a JLU if I could get a non e-torque 5.7 Hemi.

We started seeing sticks go away years ago. With the great advancements being made with auto's today they strongly out perform anything else.
Nowadays the only real reason to get a manual is because you enjoy driving manual more.

On a side note, I don't understand people who like stick shift, but prefer a 4wd shift knob.

Reactions: 5632
Having driven a 6.4 hemi ram, I’d be pretty excited on this if I planned to own one. Would definitely be a nice daily driver.

I’d prefer it in a stick as well. Who cares what “outperforms” what?

Sounds like there won't be any manuals or 2 doors, kinda missed the mark there in my opinion. Still awesome though
Manual 2 doors have the lowest take rate. All those "save the manuals" people aren't out there buying brand new Jeeps. I say this as a manual transmission enthusiast. It doesn't make business sense for them to even build it given the number of people who will actually buy it, although having it as an option would be cool. This further emphasizes my belief as it being a special low-production uber-expensive vehicle, rather than just being like the CJs where they had a V8 option as one of the engine choices.

Manuals are going away because of many reasons, but I think one is that with such a low take rate companies put very little effort into engineering them, and they are no longer fun in a numb appliance vehicle in every day shit traffic. Even the Mopar performance cars with the manual have a stupid fuel efficiency gear lock-out that forces you to skip gears with certain throttle inputs in order to save fuel. That isn't a manual trans, that's just stupid.

There's lots of vehicles I prefer manual in. A Jeep, a sports car on twisty roads, etc, but a numb appliance Corolla or CUV which is what most people drive won't be any better with one.

Who cares what “outperforms” what?
This girl.

tumblr_nhnmy6F9aA1rtb7g9o1_1280.jpg