The Official Jeep Wrangler JL 392 V8 Discussion Thread

Manual 2 doors have the lowest take rate. All those "save the manuals" people aren't out there buying brand new Jeeps...
To an extent, you're correct. Because we don't want touch screens, electronics nor Nanny State bullshit on our vehicles either.

To an extent, you're correct. Because we don't want touch screens, electronics nor Nanny State bullshit on our vehicles either.
Traction control, ABS, Airbags, Stability Control, TPMS, who needs all the extra nannies to keep you from flipping your 400 HP brick.

If you can't drive it, then you cant drive it.

I too, wish they had a manual option, though I understand why they didn't, A/T's are faster, better MPG, and basically have no downsides to the average engineer, most of America doesn't know how to drive stick (I know less than 1/3 of my HS can, and most that can I have taught them.) so sales on a millennial V8 Jeep would be junk.

The only real benefit of an M/T is the ease of maintenance and the feel of rowing your own gears, nothing beats a redline clutch drop, no A/T can come close to that axle breaking savagery. Then again there much nicer to try and crawl over stuff with, but what's life without a little challenge. 😁

I have two objections to automatics: 1) They're expensive and less reliable, and 2) They're BORING.

Car dealers have been apolgists for automatics for decades. I remember telling a Ford dealer, "Ok. So you want me to spend $1,000 more for the automatic, be bored out of my skull the entire time, then at trade-in time I'll get an extra $300? I call that a 'net loss'". He had been telling me how the auto would bring more money at trade-in time...

Now the price differential is about $2,500 and they are touted as "more efficient". Maybe so, but $2,500 will buy a LOT of gasoline. Spending that kind of money to gain an extra 1-2 MPG (if that) is ridiculous - unless you're a Greenie. Never mind that many of them are unreliable as Hell, and cost many thousands to repair/replace. The old GM TH-400 would go the distance, some of the new ones will too - but many won't and either way, you pay for it. Through the ass...

Zorba - I suggest you drive a new C8 Corvette and you will change your mind in a second about reliable and boring. It's a duel clutch and doesn't even have a torque converter. Come visit Phoenix and I will introduce you to a new adventure.

Reactions: A. Paul
Maybe so, but the other objections still apply. Expensive - and something that new has zero reliability record. Remember, I keep my vehicles for DECADES. Talk to me in 20 years.

Zorba - I suggest you drive a new C8 Corvette and you will change your mind in a second about reliable and boring. It's a duel clutch and doesn't even have a torque converter. Come visit Phoenix and I will introduce you to a new adventure.

Makes me miss my Lingenfelter built C6 Z06. Man that thing was just ungodly fast.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
dual clutches are different, better than auto but not as good as manual, certainly ridiculously fast shifts.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
If the price is around the 75k mark ... how many of these do you think would really sell?.. and if so do y’all think anyone is really gunna “ rock crawl” with them? Just a question of curiosity.. would it sell like the SRT Grand Cherokee?
Apparently you havent been a popular off road park. Folks down here build and have rock crawlers built that are easily in the 100k range to include Full bodies Jeeps. A set of Dynatracs for a JLU/Gladiator nears 20k just in cost. Add in a modern v8, a trans, and an atlas and cost skyrockets easily.

Another detail about this, if I understand correctly, this opens up older Wranglers to receiving a 6.4 legally in states with strict emissions laws like California.
At least, thats what I saw on Savvy's Instagram account.......

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Another detail about this, if I understand correctly, this opens up older Wranglers to receiving a 6.4 legally in states with strict emissions laws like California.
At least, thats what I saw on Savvy's Instagram account.......
Technically in CA we already could given it was in the Durango which is classified as a suv. It would need to retain all the emissions equipment from the donor and pass smog/inspection by a ref. Typically, people will buy a whole vehicle like @Indy did when he swapped in a 5.3 from a tahoe. I believe it is harder if you were just to just by a crate engine.

I’d love too, but the price will decide.
If its less then 65k I'd be shocked. Unless down the line you can get one that isn't fully loaded.

Reactions: DrDmoney