The Official Jeep Wrangler JL 392 V8 Discussion Thread

Technically in CA we already could given it was in the Durango which is classified as a suv. It would need to retain all the emissions equipment from the donor and pass smog/inspection by a ref. Typically, people will buy a whole vehicle like @Indy did when he swapped in a 5.3 from a tahoe. I believe it is harder if you were just to just by a crate engine.

If its less then 65k I'd be shocked. Unless down the line you can get one that isn't fully loaded.
Fully loaded diesel is over 65k I’m pretty sure. So yea it’s not gonna be cheap

Reactions: Alex01
When I saw the video and heard that engine sound, my heart said get it now!

...My wallet reminded me I can't.

Last edited:
I’d love too, but the price will decide.

You have to pay for any newer, modern good enthusiast vehicle. That's just how the market is today. Otherwise you can play the game of buying used down the line and all that comes with it (the search, the color/trim/options, the PO fuck-ups, the uncertainty of condition/prior usage ..).

As I've gotten older, my philosophy has changed a bit. For some things, esp ones the you know will make you happy, you have to decide to live life a little and and not wait forever and ever for the next best thing. Life is too short. I save and live tight on certain things so that I can spend on things that make me happy.

First face reality . Jeeps are over priced and that helps foreign owned companies like Fiat succeed.
I read this alot, so what should the Wrangler be priced at if you were in charge of Jeep corporate for a day?

No one that says Jeeps are overpriced can seem to come up with a more reasonable price based off anything of substance/evidence/backing. Often I read that they are overpriced and it stops there, no solutions or opinions on what it should cost...

I’d argue that Fiat’s successes is based on listening to consumers, studying the competition, and trusting their engineers and lead designers who have buy-in to design and engineer a lot of arguably great upgrades back into the Wrangler that people were wanting, as well as doing that with other car lines in the Fiat brand. High lines, big tires, bigger wheels, quieter cabins, more aero/mpgs, much bigger axles, more powerful engines, better transmissions, better interiors, better seats, as well as better hard tops and soft tops.

Over on the other side of the engineering department Fiat green lit the Hellcat, the Redeye, the Demon, the 1320, and the Track-Hawk Cherokee. And no one can touch those feats.

Reactions: L J and Starrs
You have to pay for any newer, modern good enthusiast vehicle. That's just how the market is today. Otherwise you can play the game of buying used down the line and all that comes with it (the search, the color/trim/options, the PO fuck-ups, the uncertainty of condition/prior usage ..).

As I've gotten older, my philosophy has changed a bit. For some things, esp ones the you know will make you happy, you have to decide to live life a little and and not wait forever and ever for the next best thing. Life is too short. I save and live tight on certain things so that I can spend on things that make me happy.
Once people get their head around this and can be reasonable, life becomes very fun. We’ve all heard older people repeat it, “life goes by in the blink of an eye.”

Once people get their head around this and can be reasonable, life becomes very fun. We’ve all heard older people repeat it, “life goes by in the blink of an eye.”
My heart is saying again to get it. My wallet is going to have to agree one way or another. I'm getting this 392 Rubicon. Shut up wallet! Anyone interested in buying a kidney?

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01
And just like that Fiat redeems themselves, no? Took Fiat ownership to bring a V8 back to a Jeep, nonetheless the first time ever for a Wrangler. Fiat was shit on for being the new owner of Jeep and a lot of folks thought they would nerf the Wranglers.
I've actually been impressed with what FCA has done.

-The WK2 is a decent Grand Cherokee (the WK was a piece of shit).
-They gave us the Gladiator (Jeep has talked about a truck for like 30 years now).
-They are giving us a V8 Wrangler (last V8 was in a CJ in the early 80s)
-While Wranglers are expensive they are probably one of the most unique driving experiences you can buy considering what everything else out there has turned into
-Put a 3.6L in the JK instead of the POS 3.8L
-The Dodge Ram has to be one of the nicest riding trucks out there
-They gave us cars and a Grand Cherokee that have 700+ HP from the factory

No company is perfect, but my father owns a 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L that he bought new. It has about 160k miles on it now, many of those miles towing a dual axle dump trailer. He is abusive to vehicles. He uses his Jeep as a Jeep. He pulls rocks and stumps out of the yard with it, and has definitely towed over the max rating on several occasions. Maintenance is done when I remember to do it. The vehicle has been in 3 accidents, 2 of them were his fault. It has been basically flawless, and drives like when it was new. It has needed only a radiator (probably should've been replaced from one of the accidents but wasn't) a water pump, a rear locking differential motor/module, and maintenance like brakes/sparkplugs/tires. He states it has been the most reliable Grand Cherokee he has owned, and that they will have to pry it from his cold dead hands.

I read this alot, so what should the Wrangler be priced at if you were in charge of Jeep corporate for a day?

I'm totally with you on the price of Jeeps is right where it needs to be. I have a Gladiator, traded a 2017 Canyon for it. If I price out both a Gladiator, and Canyon all with comparable options, there is only about a $2000 difference, canyon being lower. BUT the Canyon will cost more to modify, the Jeep has WAY more aftermarket support, and the Jeep you can remove and reinstall the doors and top. (try that trick with any other mid-size truck...) Plus, the Gladiator is a Jeep.

Is the JT as capable as the TJ? Debateable, but you need to remember that the JT is a truck that's 5 feet longer than a TJ, with a longer wheelbase.

Back on subject of the 392 Wrangler... It is a badass. 0-60 in 4.5sec on a 4x4 is fantastic! They are putting in the TC that the Grand Cherokee uses now, so it has the full-time 4wd as well as 4hi and 4lo (and 2hi of course) I think the only way I'd buy one, however, is if I won the lotto...

It's going to be pretty much a collectible ....right out of the gate,like the 454SS Chevy Trucks. They will quickly sell every one made of the first run ...it's a first that's beyond anything ever bestowed under the hood of a Wrangler.

If this leads to a modestly bigger engine option in all Wrangler models, it will be the biggest change Jeep needs to make right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
"Dual Doors (not official but estimated $4-5K) "

May be due to the low demand and the volume they sell? I'm amazed they even released them for the JL. I think half doors looks better on the TJ era body style than the JK/JLs.

"Dual Doors (not official but estimated $4-5K) "
1605935118530.png

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I love half doors, and I'd pay $4k to have them on a JL. Pricey, but I know I'd always lust after them if I bought a JL.

I wonder with the Bronco pressure, if they will release a 5.7 JLU? 6.4 is impressive, but my wallet and I would both be better off with a 5.7.