The Official Jeep Wrangler JL 392 V8 Discussion Thread

If you were in charge for a day, what would you make the MSRP and how did you get to that price?
First off, making it 4-door only is ridiculous. Secondly, no reason to not offer it with lower trim models - a Sport with the V8 option, or a 2 door Rubicon with the option.

Then, all you do is add whatever the difference is. Absolutely no reason they couldn't offer a V8 at 35-40k.

Reactions: HardSell
First off, making it 4-door only is ridiculous. Secondly, no reason to not offer it with lower trim models - a Sport with the V8 option, or a 2 door Rubicon with the option.

Then, all you do is add whatever the difference is. Absolutely no reason they couldn't offer a V8 at 35-40k.
That’s what a sport costs lol. Not even close to realistic.

Reactions: pc1p

The 2-door JL is 96.8", only marginally longer than a TJ. With the V8 and the (likely) ZF 8HP90 transmission, it would have a really small rear driveshaft. With my Hemi swap in the TJ, the mounts moved the engine forward ~3" to accommodate the 545/65RFE additional length and keep the driveshafts the same length. The ZF has an extra planetary set, so my guess is that the overall length of the engine + trans is likely 5-6" longer for the Hemi/ZF package.

My guess for it only being available in the 4-door is a packaging issue...

Reactions: CybrSlydr
The 2-door JL is 96.8", only marginally longer than a TJ. With the V8 and the (likely) ZF 8HP90 transmission, it would have a really small rear driveshaft. With my Hemi swap in the TJ, the mounts moved the engine forward ~3" to accommodate the 545/65RFE additional length and keep the driveshafts the same length. The ZF has an extra planetary set, so my guess is that the overall length of the engine + trans is likely 5-6" longer for the Hemi/ZF package.

My guess for it only being available in the 4-door is a packaging issue...
Thanks for the info - size isn't something I'd considered.

What about an Unlimited-size 2 door then?

Thanks for the info - size isn't something I'd considered.

What about an Unlimited-size 2 door then?
Something like a modern LJ with a Hemi???

6819b57e134b44bce9a64527928a3056.jpg

I’m sure this has been said before, but I think the big travesty is a fact that they don’t have the 5.7. I’m sure it’s because they can simply put the 6.4 in there and charge a huge amount more knowing that they will still sell every one.

But the 5.7 option at a few thousand dollars more I think would be a great benefit.
Personally, I think I’d rather have the diesel for the low-end torque.

Ram and jeep just seem to make some weird engine decisions. My Rebel has the 5.7 in it. I would love for 6.4 option. Sort of a Ram Rebel SRT.
I built up a Rubicon very nicely outfitted and it was actually cheaper than my truck was. if it had a 5.7 in it that would be a great vehicle.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
I’m sure this has been said before, but I think the big travesty is a fact that they don’t have the 5.7. I’m sure it’s because they can simply put the 6.4 in there and charge a huge amount more knowing that they will still sell every one.

But the 5.7 option at a few thousand dollars more I think would be a great benefit.
Personally, I think I’d rather have the diesel for the low-end torque.

Ram and jeep just seem to make some weird engine decisions. My Rebel has the 5.7 in it. I would love for 6.4 option. Sort of a Ram Rebel SRT.
I built up a Rubicon very nicely outfitted and it was actually cheaper than my truck was. if it had a 5.7 in it that would be a great vehicle.
My guess is that the Ram 1500 has some packaging issues that the JT/JL don't (that sounds odd but the IFS front end can be challenging to work around). The 6.4L BGE (Big Gas Engine) Hemi also only puts out +20HP over the same 5.7L model year, so hard to justify the work-arounds as well as the inventory management and drop in gas mileage (I pushed over 18 MPG on a drive back from Houston to Phoenix in a 2019 Rebel).

I'd be much more inclined to want a 392/6.4L car engine in the 1/2-ton trucks vs the BGE truck engine, but that too would require work-around to fit in the truck chassis (intake and front cover problems). I heard there were rumors of a 7.0L "TR Rebel" in the works but don't know if that will pan out now with Stellantis wanting to take Ram/Jeep back in the red financially (after finally making some $$ after 7 decades of trying).

And good luck with a 6.4 with sport axles.
Eh, they will be fine... 450hp/450tq is less than what the Viper was putting down and they were generally fine with the factory Dana 44 until pushed to the 650-700HP mark. The JL/JT Hemi rigs are all coming with full-time 4x4, so that too alleviates some stress on the gearsets.

You can do it in a 2 door rubitrux has done it many times. Give them a call and they can tell you all about it. They know more than anyone on this thread can tell you.
They do some amazing work that's for sure!

If you want to giggle, their Demon-powered 2-Door JL has to be one of the most insane streetable Jeeps ever made:

To be fair though, no one said that it couldn't be done to a 2 door - just that there are considerations that won't necessarily equate to market value or revenue. I mean hell, the guys at SRT put a damn Hellcat in a glorified minivan :)

If I remember correctly, I believe on the JL/JT they too only offer the 6.4/6.2L as swap options (which utilizes the LX front cover) and on the JK models they only use the NAG transmission. More evidence to suggest that packaging is a big contributor.

If you want to giggle, their Demon-powered 2-Door JL has to be one of the most insane streetable Jeeps ever made:

To be fair though, no one said that it couldn't be done to a 2 door - just that there are considerations that won't necessarily equate to market value or revenue. I mean hell, the guys at SRT put a damn Hellcat in a glorified minivan :)

If I remember correctly, I believe on the JL/JT they too only offer the 6.4/6.2L as swap options (which utilizes the LX front cover) and on the JK models they only use the NAG transmission. More evidence to suggest that packaging is a big contributor.
Yep I’ve watched that video numerous times haha. Beautiful machine

Reactions: pc1p

That's insane.

Always interesting hearing the other side 😅
There was some conversation on the longevity of the 392 production run. I wouldn't count on it being around long term...most high displacement special production runs aren't , 2-3 years at most.

It's an instant collectible, the most powerful production Wrangler ever.

Also, on related note, the Bronco that inspired this move has proven not to be as dynamic in person as the pics...looks like an Explorer.

It doesn't stand a chance to hurt Jeep in my opinion. It can be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it can never be a Jeep.