The Official Jeep Wrangler JL 392 V8 Discussion Thread

Oh trust me, you'll still be able to add another 10-15k in options. The half doors alone are $6000 I believe it is.

Also, don't count on the V8 lasting much longer. While I can't say for certain, I keep reading things from numerous automotive news sources that say that the V8 in general is living on borrowed time. At one point late last year they even interviewed one of the Dodge Challenger engineers and they said that the next generation of Challengers may have to forego a V8 altogether due to taxes, emissions, and trying to constantly keep up with EPA standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 is eventually phased out in favor of a V6 twin turbo (or similar) like Ford has done with the EcoBoost.
At this point the 392 is a flagship model. Like the hellcat its purpose is likely to get people into the showroom to buy the lower trim models. Until the epa says absolutely no v8s they'll likely take the fines and push the cost on to the customer. Like the gas guzzler tax. (Not sure if thats a thing outside ca)

https://www.motor1.com/news/485678/ford-f150-raptor-v8-confirmed/

At this point the 392 is a flagship model. Like the hellcat its purpose is likely to get people into the showroom to buy the lower trim models. Until the epa says absolutely no v8s they'll likely take the fines and push the cost on to the customer. Like the gas guzzler tax. (Not sure if thats a thing outside ca)

https://www.motor1.com/news/485678/ford-f150-raptor-v8-confirmed/

Yep, I've seen that about the Raptor. But I also see the writing on the wall. They'll probably keep pushing the envelope until it just doesn't work anymore, but I see that being far sooner than some might imagine. Let's hope it's not the case, but with the way things are going...

In the meantime, I'll let all you rich assholes buy this 75k Jeep and just live vicariously through you ;)

Oh trust me, you'll still be able to add another 10-15k in options. The half doors alone are $6000 I believe it is.

Also, don't count on the V8 lasting much longer. While I can't say for certain, I keep reading things from numerous automotive news sources that say that the V8 in general is living on borrowed time. At one point late last year they even interviewed one of the Dodge Challenger engineers and they said that the next generation of Challengers may have to forego a V8 altogether due to taxes, emissions, and trying to constantly keep up with EPA standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 is eventually phased out in favor of a V6 twin turbo (or similar) like Ford has done with the EcoBoost.
To be fair, Ford has been saying this for a long time...

And then last year released a new 7.3L V8 🤷‍♂️ The US autobase has high demand for V8 rigs, especially ones that can push 20 MPG. I think we are going to see more V8 hybrids to help comply with EPA fuel mileage and emissions requirements. Additionally, I don't doubt that you'll see the EPA lobbied to have their emissions testing methods revised (it's already happening on the industrial side).

Reactions: Alex01
Yep, I've seen that about the Raptor. But I also see the writing on the wall. They'll probably keep pushing the envelope until it just doesn't work anymore, but I see that being far sooner than some might imagine. Let's hope it's not the case, but with the way things are going...

In the meantime, I'll let all you rich assholes buy this 75k Jeep and just live vicariously through you ;)
75k for one may be cheap then if they're only going to be around a few years before the EPA pulls the plug. Buy one now and store it in a barn :ROFLMAO:

I believe the EPA's rules are more based on MPG than displacement. I'd bet they could make a 5.7 v8 get better mileage than the current 6 just because it wouldn't need to work as hard. Have you seen full-size trucks mileage lately? Most full-size trucks get better MPGs than their midsize counterparts.

I do agree though that a turbo'd v6 is likely the direction they go with.

Reactions: Chris

And then last year released a new 7.3L V8 🤷‍♂️ The US autobase has high demand for V8 rigs, especially ones that can push 20 MPG. I think we are going to see more V8 hybrids to help comply with EPA fuel mileage and emissions requirements. Additionally, I don't doubt that you'll see the EPA lobbied to have their emissions testing methods revised (it's already happening on the industrial side).

Green New Deal ;)

:LOL:

• Dislike
I believe the EPA's rules are more based on MPG than displacement.

Correct, but there are taxes based on displacement is my understanding, which is why you commonly see similarly sized displacements in vehicles (i.e. most V6s tend to not be larger than 3.5 liters). Of course those taxes just get passed on to the consumer, so it may be a moot point.

75k for one may be cheap then if they're only going to be around a few years before the EPA pulls the plug. Buy one now and store it in a barn :ROFLMAO:

I believe the EPA's rules are more based on MPG than displacement. I'd bet they could make a 5.7 v8 get better mileage than the current 6 just because it wouldn't need to work as hard. Have you seen full-size trucks mileage lately? Most full-size trucks get better MPGs than their midsize counterparts.

I do agree though that a turbo'd v6 is likely the direction they go with.
They are coming out with a 3.0 turbo straight 6 soon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/12/fiat-chrysler-patent-turbo-inline-six-engine/

According to the article, it will replace the 5.7L. Assuming they could make it as good as the 3.5 EcoBoost they'll have a winning combo. It's really amazing how much mileage they can get into the half tons these days. I remember having a mostly stock sierra that got 12mpg on a good day and my former eco diesel was getting 24 regularly. The 3.5 EB gets 17-23 which is pretty awesome for a truck that can tow up to 13k.

Green New Deal ;)

:LOL:
Personally I'd welcome it, well, only if done with sound science and pragmatic policy in mind and not politically motivated. If there is one thing COVID has shown us, it's that we need to rethink our economy and our logistics across the US. During the majority of the lockdown, the US emissions only dipped ~13% - far less than what would have been expected. Becoming energy independent (and thus energy and emissions smart) will require a far greater effort than heavily regulated transportation emissions.

Transport makes up slightly over 1/4 of the GHG emissions in the US but only a portion of that is personal cars & trucks. There are some gains to be made moving to EV-vehicles in the proper markets where it makes sense to do so, but much bigger changes need to be made to infrastructure and electricity sourcing, as well as our logistics-chain. Needing to move a t-shirt from Bangladesh, to Hong Kong, to LA, to Iowa is quite the long pathway rife with inefficiencies and emissions along the way. Same issue, though to a lesser extent, is the food supply logistics (both on the macro and micro level).

According to the article, it will replace the 5.7L. Assuming they could make it as good as the 3.5 EcoBoost they'll have a winning combo. It's really amazing how much mileage they can get into the half tons these days. I remember having a mostly stock sierra that got 12mpg on a good day and my former eco diesel was getting 24 regularly. The 3.5 EB gets 17-23 which is pretty awesome for a truck that can tow up to 13k.
They will probably run the 2.0t, 3.0t, and a 4xe/full electric for next gen wrangler motors. If the Diesel is still allowed maybe. The 2.0 and 3.6 are kind of redundant. Full size trucks could be 3.0t some type of hybrid and a 3.0d.

To be fair the 7.3L doesn’t come close to 20 mpg

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
To be fair the 7.3L doesn’t come close to 20 mpg
Haha, nope - not even close - which is why it was quite to the shock to see Ford releasing it (it's about as opposite on the end of their engine philosophy spectrum as they could get!).

Haha, nope - not even close - which is why it was quite to the shock to see Ford releasing it (it's about as opposite on the end of their engine philosophy spectrum as they could get!).
It’s a school bus engine in it’s 300 something HP form and that’s why they have it. Fleet dream in non diesel.

Reactions: pc1p
Consider me disappointed.

4 door only and the price is absolutely absurd. Ludicrous. Obscene. Insulting.

Reactions: Zorba