The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Ok thanks, I am trying to order a new one now.
Didn't you just put new OEM O2 sensors in?

The day I bought the LJR...I test drove it, and we were $500 apart. Prior owner drove off, I stopped for a burger. Then called the seller to see if we could split the difference. He agrees and heads back and we finish the deal.

I jump in the LJR (fat, dumb, and happy driving my new toy) and the CEL comes on. And so begins the O2 sensor saga. Intermittent 1/2, it would disappear for a couple weeks then come back. Then when I did the lift decided on all new NTK. then 2/2 set off the CEL. So I dutifully traced down the wiring for anomalies and found none and like I said in the other post, it cleared itself at the ORV park of all places.

Thinking a piece of black electrical tape hanging on the dash preparing for the next O2 code, then stick it over the CEL when it pops back on.
Or do like @Chris and get the software to bypass the O2 stuff.

Reactions: Chris
Just confirming (thanks to this great thread!) - the sensors for my 1997 TJ 4 cylinder are NGK 23099 (downstream) and NGK 23506 (upstream)?? Also, I don't see any pictures of where the 2 sensors are on my Jeep - did I miss them, or are they not here? Finally, my car is not throwing any error codes, but the "O2" is blinking when my ODB2 reader powers up (I had the head replaced, and am trying to get this to pass smog - it's been 4 months since the head was replaced, so I assume it is the O2 sensors that are not resetting since the replacement?)

Just confirming (thanks to this great thread!) - the sensors for my 1997 TJ 4 cylinder are NGK 23099 (downstream) and NGK 23506 (upstream)?? Also, I don't see any pictures of where the 2 sensors are on my Jeep - did I miss them, or are they not here? Finally, my car is not throwing any error codes, but the "O2" is blinking when my ODB2 reader powers up (I had the head replaced, and am trying to get this to pass smog - it's been 4 months since the head was replaced, so I assume it is the O2 sensors that are not resetting since the replacement?)

Yes, those are the correct sensors.

I didn't include a diagram of the positions for the earlier models such as you're 97, because it's self-explanitory. One is the up-stream (before the cat) sensor, and the other is the downstream (after the cat) sensor. It's more confusing on the later models, since they have 4 O2 sensors, and a bank 1 and bank 2, which is where people get confused.

O2 sensors should be replaced every 80k miles or so as preventative maintenance, so it's good you're replacing them. After you replace them, you'll likely have to drive it for a few hundred miles to get them in the "ready" state where they'll pass smog.

A week ago I was getting an O2 code at 127k miles on my '05 4.0L that I just got at 1/1. Two days ago, I replace it with a Bosch sensor, and it seems to have fixed the code. Is it possible that it works for me as a fluke? I got the part from AutoZone, do you think I would be able to return it and get the (cheaper!) NGK ones?

A week ago I was getting an O2 code at 127k miles on my '05 4.0L that I just got at 1/1. Two days ago, I replace it with a Bosch sensor, and it seems to have fixed the code. Is it possible that it works for me as a fluke? I got the part from AutoZone, do you think I would be able to return it and get the (cheaper!) NGK ones?

It may work temporarily, but it’s likely to throw a code eventually. You wouldn’t be able to return it if it’s already used.

Update,
I replaced the bank 1/2 O2 sensor, and not long after when I drove it, like it did before, it threw the same code, heater response.
Not sure what to do now.

Update,
I replaced the bank 1/2 O2 sensor, and not long after when I drove it, like it did before, it threw the same code, heater response.
Not sure what to do now.

Since you didn't fill out your profile, I don't know what year your Jeep is. However, if it's an 05-06, there was a TSB on some of them where the check engine light wouldn't go off due to the PCM needing a software update.

Since you didn't fill out your profile, I don't know what year your Jeep is. However, if it's an 05-06, there was a TSB on some of them where the check engine light wouldn't go off due to the PCM needing a software update.

Looks like he has an 04 LJ from his previous post with somewhat low mileage.

Update, I replaced the bank 1/2 O2 sensor, and not long after when I drove it, like it did before, it threw the same code, heater response.
Not sure what to do now.

It feels like a wiring harness issue to me if the O2 sensor is indeed good. Check the connector and wiring to the harness.

Possible Causes
This Error Code can be triggered by one or more of the following things:
  • Short or open ground in the wiring harness
  • Open or internal short in the heater element
  • Oxygen heater circuit wiring and heater element resistance is high
  • Faulty rear most O2 sensor, wiring or connections
Note: A failed catalytic converter doesn’t cause this code. Most often than not, it results to P0420 code, which means failed converter problem.

Not sure how alive this thread is, but what about a 2005 4.0L with Federal emissions (i.e., not California emissions)? I know there are only two 02 sensors, one upstream and one downstream of the single catalytic converter, but what are the NGK part numbers?
[edit: Nevermind. I was reading the Service Manual which shows two different 4.0L configurations, but my build sheet says its for all 50 states emissions]

Last edited:
Update,
Not sure what to do now.

I don't know if you figured this out yet but I have been digging for a while because I get the Bank 1 sensor 2 (P0141, Bank 2 (P0161 ?) sensor 2 Heater CEL from time to time and from what I have found ( at least for the 2003 ) is that the relay may have gone bad ( I found a reference to this for a Jeep GC somewhere else on the interwebs so I cannot take full credit) . I actually just replaced both of the rear sensors thanks to this thread and replaced the relay ( with NAPA Part number AR606 - $14.49- ) as well. See pictures below. I also traced the wires to see if I saw any visible damage but I didn't see anything.
The relay was in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. Maybe you will get lucky and the 2004 is similar.

I haven't had a chance to see if this has worked for me yet but because the jeep is no longer my DD but I hope this helps you or someone else in the future!

20190204_180509.jpg

20190204_180534.jpg

I don't know if you figured this out yet but I have been digging for a while because I get the Bank 1 sensor 2 (P0141, Bank 2 (P0161 ?) sensor 2 Heater CEL from time to time and from what I have found ( at least for the 2003 ) is that the relay may have gone bad ( I found a reference to this for a Jeep GC somewhere else on the interwebs so I cannot take full credit) . I actually just replaced both of the rear sensors thanks to this thread and replaced the relay ( with NAPA Part number AR606 - $14.49- ) as well. See pictures below. I also traced the wires to see if I saw any visible damage but I didn't see anything.
The relay was in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery. Maybe you will get lucky and the 2004 is similar.

I haven't had a chance to see if this has worked for me yet but because the jeep is no longer my DD but I hope this helps you or someone else in the future!

View attachment 75842

View attachment 75843
Thanks for the info, I'll try that. since it is still throwing the code every few times I drive it.

Thanks for the info, I'll try that. since it is still throwing the code every few times I drive it.
I just drove my jeep today started and it 4 or 5 times. Twice when it would have been cold enough to throw the code in the past. So far so good. I hope it works for you ..

I just drove my jeep today started and it 4 or 5 times. Twice when it would have been cold enough to throw the code in the past. So far so good. I hope it works for you ..

Thanks for the update. I hope it stays that way!