The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

one more thing: before ordering 23151 I tried 23506 23099. NGK told me it is indicated for California emissions and is 14" long but the wiring connector didn't match up as shown in the photo I posted previously. that one could work for you, depending on your model year.

correction: I tried 23099. (that's what I get for being in a rush). so they told you the same thing they told me. that should be it as long as yours wasn't on the cusp of a model year change.

final update/what I learned:

installed the 23151 sensor this morning. It fit, the wiring connector matched up, the wire was long enough, jeep seems to be running fine. all is good with the world.

so, for a 2000 Jeep Wrangler - Bank 1, Sensor 1
23122 (10" long) is indicated for jeeps that comply with federal emissions
23099 (18" long, has a different wiring connector than the others) is indicated for jeeps that comply with California emissions
23151 (14" long) is indicated for 1999 jeeps that comply with California emissions but worked for mine because the mfg. date was June 2000 - apparently before the model year change.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I swapped out my upstream O2 Sensors recently. I didn't need an O2 sensor socket if any of you want to save a buck. I just cut off the connector of the old sensor and slipped the boxed end of a wrench over the end of the sensor. Used another wrench on the open end of the first wrench for extra leverage and they came right out.

So far it seams as though it may run a little better but it could be a placebo affect too. I'll be able to tell after the next tank of gas if I got any mileage improvement out of it.

So which O2 sensors do I need?
I'm going to break down which sensors you need based off what year your TJ is. The part numbers (and information) below were taken directly from the NGK website, so you can assure it is 100% accurate (even double checked each individual year and model before writing this thread).

2005-2006
NGK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
Thanks Chris for the helpful post. Replacing cats/sensors on my ‘06 LJ 4.0L. When I added the NGK 23159 to my amazon cart, it said this does not fit my vehicle, but that part # seems correct based on NGKs website. I’m going to order it and see what happens unless anybody has some information otherwise. Thanks all.

All very confusing and took me a while to figure out.

After several hours and a call to cross ref my original 02 sensors at the dealer. OEM happened to be NTK under a mopar part number for a 2000 Jeep TJ 4.0 with a 10/99 date of manufacture

23506 upstream bank 2 sensor 1

23151 upstream bank 1 sensor 1
Says not a fit online but it’s an exact cross for the mopar ntk that was pulled

23110 downstream bank 1 sensor 2

23099 downstream bank 2 sensor 2

Dealer wanted over $650 for the 4 sensors before tax - not installed. I almost passed out.

You can source these for a lot less on eBay and Amazon.

You can cross ref your oem sensors on sparkplugs.com

Hope this helps..

Anyone know where the O2 sensor fuse is? I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a 4.0 & manual trans. It has 90k miles on it. I still keep getting the P0031, 37, 51, & 57 error codes. This is the heater circuit low for all four O2 sensors.

Thanks, Shimaze

Shimaze,

I would suggest looking for a bad connection somewhere, or a wire that has been broken that serves as a common ground to all O2 sensors.
Looking at the wiring diagram would be a smart decision as well (for my '03, there is a Oxygen Sensor Heater Relay. YMMV).

Reactions: Chris
attention 6 cylinders 2001-2003 with only 2 sensors:
My 01 Tj Sahara 4L 6Cylinder RWD export version doesnt follow the california emission diagram and it has 2 sensors, one just before and one after the catalytic convertors.
I used:
#23139 Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Upstream)
#23141 Bank 2 Sensor 2 (dowstream)
It works fine.
(The socket is different for each sensor: #23138 and #23142 didnt fit.)

Thank you for this thread! I'm new on the forum, last week I got my first Wrangler, a 06 X. Just a couple of days in I got the P0133 and found this thread. I ordered the recommended O2 sensor and a OBDII reader for my iPhone. I changed the Bank 1 Sensor 1, reset MIL. About a day later the MIL turned on again and I started doing more research in the Car Scanner app and I found this, see attached images. O2 sensor 1 bank 1 (yellow) vs 02 sensor 2 bank 1 (brown). Second images is only of the Sensor 2 bank 1. To me it looks like the S2B1 only around a range of 0.4V-0,5V but somehow I still get the P0133. Is it in fact this sensor that has to be changed? Can someone please confirm my theory? Thank you!

IMG_EE8DE01FA11F-1.jpeg

IMG_040376EF01E8-1.jpeg

Thank you for this thread! I'm new on the forum, last week I got my first Wrangler, a 06 X. Just a couple of days in I got the P0133 and found this thread. I ordered the recommended O2 sensor and a OBDII reader for my iPhone. I changed the Bank 1 Sensor 1, reset MIL. About a day later the MIL turned on again and I started doing more research in the Car Scanner app and I found this, see attached images. O2 sensor 1 bank 1 (yellow) vs 02 sensor 2 bank 1 (brown). Second images is only of the Sensor 2 bank 1. To me it looks like the S2B1 only around a range of 0.4V-0,5V but somehow I still get the P0133. Is it in fact this sensor that has to be changed? Can someone please confirm my theory? Thank you!

View attachment 111456

View attachment 111457

You used NGK replacement sensors, right?

I will also add that it's a bad idea to change one O2 sensor and not the others. You should change ALL of the O2 sensors at once. They are a general wear-and-tear maintenance item that need to be replaced around every 80k miles or so, regardless of whether they are throwing check engine lights or not.

What I am seeing here is that you replace one O2 sensor and now it's reading good, meanwhile the other ones are performing poorly, as they need to be replaced.

Again, O2 sensors should all be replaced at the same time, not one at a time, only when they throw a CEL.

You used NGK replacement sensors, right?

I will also add that it's a bad idea to change one O2 sensor and not the others. You should change ALL of the O2 sensors at once. They are a general wear-and-tear maintenance item that need to be replaced around every 80k miles or so, regardless of whether they are throwing check engine lights or not.

What I am seeing here is that you replace one O2 sensor and now it's reading good, meanwhile the other ones are performing poorly, as they need to be replaced.

Again, O2 sensors should all be replaced at the same time, not one at a time, only when they throw a CEL.
Thank you Chris! Yep, it was a NRK sensor. Sounds good, I'll replace all the others as well.

Thank you Chris! Yep, it was a NRK sensor. Sounds good, I'll replace all the others as well.

No problem! I'm almost 100% certain that will fix your issues. You'll probably notice your Jeep runs better too, and possibly even gets better fuel economy (if that's even possible from a Jeep :ROFLMAO: ).

Chris, thanks for this thread really helped a lot. Had to replace all my O2 sensors. Didn’t read or see this thread until after I replaced the original with crown and I was getting less than 120 miles a tank throwing check engine lights as well. Running smooth as refrigerated butter for a 15 year old Jeep.

Thanks for this information. I had a P0153 error on my '06 Wranger. Original owner with only 150K miles. I ordered the recommended parts - the O2 sensor and the O2 sensor socket. I did have an O2 sensor socket, it would have not fit in the tight and confined space. So, thanks for that recommendation and time saver tip. I did saturate the sensor with PB Blaster for several days while I waited on Amazon to deliver the goods. Parts arrived, the O2 sensor just popped loose, no struggles, no busted knuckles, piece of cake. Installed, drove, problem fixed. Saved myself a ton of cash. Thanks for the tips!!!!

I tested my upstream sensors with an Ohm meter this morning and both tested below 5 Ohms and I do not have a CEL light on. Has anyone tested a new sensor to check it resistance?

I am just curious, I have 75,xxx miles on my 2005 TJ.

I tested my upstream sensors with an Ohm meter this morning and both tested below 5 Ohms and I do not have a CEL light on. Has anyone tested a new sensor to check it resistance?

I am just curious, I have 75,xxx miles on my 2005 TJ.

Might get more visibility with this if you posted it as a new thread. (y)

This is going to sound stupid but my 2000 wrangler 4.0 i can only find 1 o2 sensor. I have checked every diagram, most videos and can not find anything to match what mine appears to be. there are none up by the manifold, none on the exhaust pipes just before or after the downward bend. The only 1 I found is on the passenger side just before the skid plate. none on the cat converter or after. WTH???? any ideas? I bought this jeep used so i am not sure if this is another year engine in it or not but everything looks to be the same as the 2000 4.0.

6 Cylinder Engines
1997-1999
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23122 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
Hey Chris, I am getting ready to do the O2s on my 2000 and was referencing your handy dandy guide (great info btw) and noticed for the 2000 4.0 listing shows 4 sensors (Late model 2000? CA emissions??) Mine only has 2 sensors, 1 up and 1 down (Federal?). So I'm all kinds of confused here. Rock Auto lists 2 federal emissions numbers (23122 up and 23099 down) but the NTK page does not list a 2 sensor version for that year and they show 2 different upstream and 2 different downstream numbers.
Where my confusion lies is NTK shows
23122 upstream 1-3 and 23110 downstream 1-3
23506 upstream 4-6 and 23099 downstream 4-6
but gives no indication as to federal or CA emissions that I have been able to find, only how to find out if your vehicle is CA or Federal??? It's not that they are expensive but I'd rather not have to experiment???

Last edited:
Hey Chris, I am getting ready to do the O2s on my 2000 and was referencing your handy dandy guide (great info btw) and noticed for the 2000 4.0 listing shows 4 sensors (Late model 2000? CA emissions??) Mine only has 2 sensors, 1 up and 1 down (Federal?). So I'm all kinds of confused here. Rock Auto lists 2 federal emissions numbers (23122 up and 23099 down) but the NTK page does not list a 2 sensor version for that year and they show 2 different upstream and 2 different downstream numbers.
Where my confusion lies is NTK shows
23122 upstream 1-3 and 23110 downstream 1-3
23506 upstream 4-6 and 23099 downstream 4-6
but gives no indication as to federal or CA emissions that I have been able to find, only how to find out if your vehicle is CA or Federal??? It's not that they are expensive but I'd rather not have to experiment???

Interesting, I thought most of the later model 2000s by that point had 4 sensors, but maybe I'm wrong. I knew that some 2000s had 2 sensors, and others had 4, but I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to that.

Federal or California doesn't mean anything to my knowledge. The Federal ones should pass inspections just fine, as should the California ones. I've never heard of anyone having any issues with either.